Anyone not wear a jacket or tie on formal night?

barberesr

There's also hundreds of people sneezing on the food (sneeze guards only work for people taller than about 5'6"), wiping their nose and then touching the serving utensils, kids sticking their fingers in the food, countless kitchen trays full of lukewarm food, etc. I eat in buffets when there's no other choice, not when there's a miniscule chance that someone may be offended by my choice in clothing.

I send this exact same message to Princess by e-mail and comment card after every cruise that I take with them.

When we hit the buffet it's usually before the crowds begin to pick through it and although we don't have problem with dining at the buffet the choices are sometime better in the DR as you well know.

Interestingly the survey that was sent out a short while ago (only to select individuals) did mention the dress suggestions in a few places. I'm wondering if they are considering a change in the future?

Designating a formal optional DR would take nothing away from those wishing to dress & give another option to those that don't.

Designating a formal optional DR would take nothing away from those wishing to dress & give another option to those that don't.

I think that is a great idea. It would seem to solve all the problems/complaints address on these boards with regard to dress.

Mike

I was merely responding to the other person who said lobster should be available in the buffet, not making any value judgements, sheesh.

I'll apologize, it seems I read your comment the wrong way. Though I still stand by what I've seen happen at buffets over the years as being disgusting...

I don't eat lobster, not even in the MDR, so I guess that difference is lost on me. :o

Same here, I've never had a taste for lobster even when it's pulled fresh from the water and cooked right on the beach. Just not a big fan of ocean cockroaches.

Wondered if my brother could get away with wearing a nice shirt and black pants for formal night in the dining room?

We are sailing on Princess.

Princess spells out what the recommended/suggested evening dress code is in their brochures. There’s your guideline for the answer to your question. We prefer to dine in the MDR so we dress accordingly. If this is your brothers’ first Cruise he would probably enjoy the atmosphere of the MDR. You won’t know ‘til you try it. Enjoy your Cruise.

When we hit the buffet it's usually before the crowds begin to pick through it and although we don't have problem with dining at the buffet the choices are sometime better in the DR as you well know.

Interestingly the survey that was sent out a short while ago (only to select individuals) did mention the dress suggestions in a few places. I'm wondering if they are considering a change in the future?

I was one that got that survey and was happy to see that line of questions on it. I think that quite a few people would enjoy the option of dining room service without the formal wear suggestion and that would make us less of an eyesore for those in "proper attire". The food on the buffet when I've gone is typically not too bad, in fact it's usually fairly good. The problem I have is strictly with the guests and the complete lack of hygiene around the food. I've been on too many cruises where Noro has reared it's ugly head (though I've never caught it and neither has my wife)...

Princess spells out what the recommended/suggested evening dress code is in their brochures. There’s your guideline for the answer to your question. We prefer to dine in the MDR so we dress accordingly. If this is your brothers’ first Cruise he would probably enjoy the atmosphere of the MDR. You won’t know ‘til you try it. Enjoy your Cruise.

The key word in their brochure is "suggested". If they changed it to required and actually enforced the change of policy then it would be a different story.

The key word in their brochure is "suggested". If they changed it to required and actually enforced the change of policy then it would be a different story.

I agree completely. Just pointing out to the OP what Princess has set up for guidelines to the evening dress code. The interpretation is completely up to the individual. Personally I don’t give a damn.

I really don't get it....why not wear a tie???? You can buy one anywhere, borrow one from anybody, it weighs nothing in a suitcase, and as long as you have a neck to hang it from...put one on for formal night. Is it too much to ask of a grown man to do, for a mere two hours? I repeat, I really don't get it. Someone help me here, am I missing something?

If you require you husband to wear a tie, then so be it, but how on earth if another man chooses to not wear one could it have an affect on your enjoyment, I simply don't understand.

btw- Nowhere does Princess say anything about wearing a tie. That requirement was dropped 15 years ago.

My hopes is that Princess reads this Thread and makes a decision to either start enforcing the dress code for Formal Night which is a Tux or Dark suit or do away with Formal Night, which would be very sad.

I believe that it is inconsiderate for some passengers to decide that they can ignore the dress code when there are others who take the time to fit in that suit or tux in their luggage. There are so many other dining options on a ship, that I really don't think it is too much to ask passengers that choose to use the MDR on only 2 Formal Nights, to dress appropriately.

A fact: we saw several people with long sleeved dress shirts, dress pants, no ties and no jacket in the dining room on our recent Ruby and Crown cruises.

A fact: we saw one person with a short sleeved dress shirt (an anomaly if there ever was one), dress pants, no tie and no jacket in the dining room on our recent Ruby cruise.

A fact: there was not lobster in Cafe Caribe on any formal night on our Ruby and Crown cruises.

A fact: DH, it seems, is bothered by the lack of enforcement of and attention to the dress suggestions in Princess dining rooms on formal nights (and wore his tux even when we decided to skip the two hour dinner and simply dine in Cafe Caribe).

A fact: I am not similarly bothered, and were it not for this board, would probably not even notice what people wear on formal night.

A fact: I may never eat another lobster, after reading them referred to as a cockroach.

An opinion: It would be nice if Princess either enforced or did away with the dress code on formal nights. It's just all getting a bit tiring...

There are so many other dining options on a ship, that I really don't think it is too much to ask passengers that choose to use the MDR on only 2 Formal Nights, to dress appropriately.

Appropriately by whose standard? Princess issues dress suggestions and enforces those as they see fit. Their standard is to allow those of us that choose to dress up but not wear a jacket to dine in the MDR. They make the policies and follow through with them. If they change the rules, then those of us that would fall outside of the new policy would either begin to follow it or come up with alternatives. If/until that happens, Princess determines what is appropriate and not people posting on a discussion board.

It is indeed unfortunate that this subject gets beat to death so regularly.

Princess clearly outlines its guidelines for formal and smart casual dress. Then someone asks, "yes, but what can I get away with?" or "do I really, really have to dress like that?"

That is followed by pages and pages of to and fro.

The answer is very, very simple: Follow the guidelines or perhaps choose another cruise line (and there are many) that have much more liberal gidelines.

My hopes is that Princess reads this Thread and makes a decision to either start enforcing the dress code for Formal Night which is a Tux or Dark suit or do away with Formal Night, which would be very sad.

I believe that it is inconsiderate for some passengers to decide that they can ignore the dress code when there are others who take the time to fit in that suit or tux in their luggage. There are so many other dining options on a ship, that I really don't think it is too much to ask passengers that choose to use the MDR on only 2 Formal Nights, to dress appropriately.

Why would you want to discontinue the formal nights just because there a few of us who don't fully comply? Not to say I wouldn't like to see it happen but since many people do enjoy the formal thing it should always be available for those that want to dress. There doesn't seem to be any compromise in your views. Does the lack of others dressing formally really take that much away from your total enjoyment?

A fact: I may never eat another lobster, after reading them referred to as a cockroach.

Sorry, they're arthropods just like most insects and their behaviors are similar to roaches, so... I'm a biologist, I tend to forget that some things in nature can be disturbing to people, especially the disgusting little roaches.

An opinion: It would be nice if Princess either enforced or did away with the dress code on formal nights. It's just all getting a bit tiring...

I don't dress in a jacket but here I fully agree with you. Princess (and other cruiselines) need to come up with either a clear policy for formal wear that is enforced or detail better that the suggested dress is formal wear but other options are acceptable. I don't expect either to happen anytime soon. Personally, I'm in favor of an alternative dining area that is formal optional but is still table service with the same menu.

Personally, I'm in favor of an alternative dining area that is formal optional but is still table service with the same menu.

Totally agree here, as said previously. Putting the same menu available at the buffet area, or a formal optional DR would solve all of these problems, and make all of this conversation moot.

Mike

Totally agree here, as said previously. Putting the same menu available at the buffet area, or a formal optional DR would solve all of these problems, and make all of this conversation moot.

Mike

Does Princess see the evening dress code as a problem? Apparently not.

It is indeed unfortunate that this subject gets beat to death so regularly.

Princess clearly outlines its guidelines for formal and smart casual dress. Then someone asks, "yes, but what can I get away with?" or "do I really, really have to dress like that?"

That is followed by pages and pages of to and fro.

The answer is very, very simple: Follow the guidelines or perhaps choose another cruise line (and there are many) that have much more liberal gidelines.

That would be too easy.icon7.gificon7.gif

Does Princess see the evening dress code as a problem? Apparently not.

I don't follow what you mean?? However, it's the Princess inconsistency with regards to enforcement that causes the problem here, so they should see it as a problem they have allowed to mushroom.

Other than when the head waiter encouraged us to come to formal night in smart casual attire, we have adhered to the policy, but I can understand why some now.

Mike

I don't follow what you mean?? However, it's the Princess inconsistency with regards to enforcement that causes the problem here, so they should see it as a problem they have allowed to mushroom.

Other than when the head waiter encouraged us to come to formal night in smart casual attire, we have adhered to the policy, but I can understand why some now.

Mike

You said in a previous post that “…Putting the same menu available at the buffet area, or a formal optional DR would solve all of these problems, and make all of this conversation moot”. You must feel it’s a problem but apparently Princess doesn’t. If they did wouldn’t you think they would change the language from suggested to required and then enforce the policy?

Why would you want to discontinue the formal nights just because there a few of us who don't fully comply? Not to say I wouldn't like to see it happen but since many people do enjoy the formal thing it should always be available for those that want to dress. There doesn't seem to be any compromise in your views. Does the lack of others dressing formally really take that much away from your total enjoyment?

No, it does not take away from my enjoyment. I am surprised of the total disrepect of the suggested dress code for Formal Night. You said the key word "Comply" which means : to conform, submit, or adapt (as to a regulation or to another's wishes) as required or requested per the Merriam Websters Dictionary.

DH has done the slacks, shirt and tie with no problems. From what we've seen, there appear to be far more fashion police on the boards than there are on the ship.

You are on target here. I choose to wear a jacket and tie, but that is my choice. To the OP, do not be intimidated by those who try to force you to comply with what they feel is appropriate. Do not feel as though you have to be relegated to the buffet. Go to the main dining room neatly dressed and enjoy your cruise!

Archived