Formal nights

peg bundy

hi i am going on my first cruise and there is so much to read, i was just wanting to no about formal night what happens ect is it just go to dinner dressed up, or do they do something entertanment wise, or is it a case of dinner then get changed and go to a show or something :D

hi i am going on my first cruise and there is so much to read, i was just wanting to no about formal night what happens ect is it just go to dinner dressed up, or do they do something entertanment wise, or is it a case of dinner then get changed and go to a show or something :D

Nothing special except the dressing up part as far as the dining rooms. On one formal night they will have Lobster (usually the 2nd on a 7 night cruise). We usually eat then change clothes to go to a show, but some of that depends on timing.

Mike

Sometimes they have the captain's cocktail reception and I know usually on the second formal night they have the Captain Circle reception, but nothing really special. They do offer to do formal portraits as well and tend to have more photo stations on the formal night. We typically stay in our formal wear most of the night unless or untill we end up at skywalkers in the late evening:rolleyes:

Anyone know about Formal Nights in Alaska? I've heard that Alaska cruises are a little less formal in general...what about Formal Nights?

Thanks!

On our Alaskan Cruise I wore a suit on the Formal nights, most did some did not.

On our last Cruise I rented a Tux. I like the old traditon of Formal nights I think it adds a bit of class to the experience. I had the Tux waiting for me in our Suite.

Anyone know about Formal Nights in Alaska? I've heard that Alaska cruises are a little less formal in general...what about Formal Nights?

Thanks!

The dining rooms in Alaska (once on the Diamond, once on the Coral) were about the same on formal night as any other Princess cruise I've been on. Most followed the suggested dress fairly closely while some chose to dress slightly more casually. At least in my experience, the destination of the cruise hasn't really affected whether people followed the suggestions or chose their own attire.

Hello,

I respectfully disagree with the responder who says that nothing special happens on a cruise ship (on formalnights) except for the dining room. My DW and I have been on 26 cruises and on several different lines, so my response is based on considerable experience.

A formal night on a cruise ship, includes not only special dinners in the main dining room but special shows and/or entertainers. The cruise staff is dressed in their dress uniforms and the atmosphere is like a nice New Year's eve party or a party after a wedding.

Will it be acceptable for me to wear slacks and a long sleeve shirt and tie for formal night?

I owned one suit and it was destroyed in a house fire a year ago. I have never gotten around to replacing it.

Some people on the board will say NO WAY but Princess will allow it even without the tie.

The dress varied on the Carnival Triumph. Some folks dressed to the 'nines' complete with tuxes and glittery gowns. Others looked equally as nice in suit and tie, and nice dresses or pant suits for the ladies. Some men wore dress pants, shirt and tie without a jacket. No one is going to throw you off the boat so don't worry about attire for that evening. There will always be someone in jeans and a dress shirt...yes I saw them and they had as much fun as everyone else.

The ship photographers were everywhere everyday, but more so on the formal evening. There were lines to get your photos taken at many stations. It was actually difficult to walk through those areas due to the crowds waiting in line to have their photos taken. It's a big money maker for the cruiselines.

We dressed middle of the road....nice dress and heels; sport coat, shirt and tie and dress pants. We prefer to be casual on vacation. We weren't glittering like some and still I felt as thought we fit in just fine. We looked nice, were comfortable and had a good time which is what is most important. We stayed dressed up for the show right after dinner.

*Ladies, our cruise weather was cool and the air conditioning in the dining rooms made it uncomfortable if you didn't have a jacket or wrap of some kind.

Archived