Boxed Lunches?

sds1arm2

I have never seen an agriculture inspection station at the bottom of the gang plank at a third world port! But I guess it's ok for 2000 passengers to spread whatever sickness they brought with them to the local citizens. How does a ham sandwich and a bag of chips cause an ecological disaster?

Then why in the world does your own home state have agriculture checkpoints when you cross the state line?

There are no box lunches available. One cruise line I was on had a sign that said no cruiseline food was to be taken off the ship. The ports like cruise ships because the passengers spend money on shore. The cruise lines expect you to purchase your meals off the ship. That being said I guess you could make your own. Bring a collapsible lunch bag with you and put it in a beach bag. I don't think they x-ray your stuff on the way out. You could probably find enough at the breakfast buffet to fill your bag. Some would call you a cheapskate others a thrifty cruiser!

Wow, this is so wrong on so many levels. It has nothing to do with cruise lines expecting you to eat off the ship -- it has to do with protecting the agricultural industry and ecology of the places you visit. I wouldn't call someone doing this a "cheapskate" or "thrifty". I'd call someone who did what this poster suggests doing "self-absorbed, selfish, unthinking, poorly raised, and an unwelcome guest".

OP -- glad you got the info you needed :)

Ya right and I have some ocean front property for sale in Nevada I would like to sell you. It's all about the bottom line to the cruiseline. Food cost them money. Guests just don't buy food in the ports, and I am guessing that's a small portion of the money spent at that port by passengers. I don't think docking in San Franciso or Miami or New York is going to ruin the things you mentioned in those ports. At every port I have been to that docked, the ship has purchased local foodstuff. I have never taken food off the ship at a port and do spend my dollars at the local restaurants or cafe's. I am not advocating that the OP take food off the ship, but they could be on a very tight budget and were wondering if it was possible. I think the majority of posters gave them the advice they were seeking.

From your posts, Bar, I would think you don't live within 100 miles of any agriculture. And obviously you haven't been through a infestation spraying (covering any cars that are parked outside, bringing in lawn furniture, etc.).

If the cruiselines were conspiring to make you buy your lunch in the ports, the dining rooms would all be closed on port days, and that hasn't been true on any cruiseship I've been on (especially considering that some people don't even leave the ship in every stop).

As others have pointed out, if you want to save money until you can return to the ship, pack a prepackaged, sealed, unopen snack. I tend to bring Power Bars and Balance Bars to keep up my strength if we're on an excursion or stuck someplace not near a food facility. But sometimes you can find a tasty, inexpensive local food to try out. If you prefer not to, just make plans to return to the ship for lunch. Not a big deal.

But I would suggest that if long time cruisers are telling you the very valid reasons for a cruise law or rule, don't pontificate that they're wrong. In this case, you are so wrong.

I don't think so. OP's first post and follow-up response indicated to ME that she had no knowledge of agricultural laws and once made aware, has no intention of breaking those laws. "Total disrespect for" and "lack of knowledge of" are two totally different things.

Thank You DukeFamily. As said before, I have no intention to bring food off the ship now that I know. This has turned out to be quite entertaining though.

Taking food off the ship is one thing but what about bringing food on board from a foreign country. I have some favorite Guatemala foods I love and would like to bring some back to the ship. Is this permissable?

Judee

Are you talking abput packaged foods? This should not be a problem. On the other hand if you mean fresh fruit and/or vegetables, you could not bring them into the US. Not sure if the ship would object.

I don't think so. OP's first post and follow-up response indicated to ME that she had no knowledge of agricultural laws and once made aware, has no intention of breaking those laws. "Total disrespect for" and "lack of knowledge of" are two totally different things.

Did you bother to read the post I quoted and was responding to? I wasn't responding to the OP's question, I was responding to what "bar_20" wrote!

Thank You DukeFamily. As said before, I have no intention to bring food off the ship now that I know. This has turned out to be quite entertaining though.

DukeFamily completely missed that I was not responding to the OP (you), I was responding to "bar_20".

Taking food off the ship is one thing but what about bringing food on board from a foreign country. I have some favorite Guatemala foods I love and would like to bring some back to the ship. Is this permissable?

Judee

You USUALLY are permitted to bring food back aboard the ship, within reason.

You USUALLY are permitted to bring food back aboard the ship, within reason.

I hope so. I have been hearing about some wonderful rum cakes and we wanted to bring one back on board.

I assume though that we would have to finish it on board as we can't bring it back home with us?

Ya right and I have some ocean front property for sale in Nevada I would like to sell you. It's all about the bottom line to the cruiseline. Food cost them money. Guests just don't buy food in the ports, and I am guessing that's a small portion of the money spent at that port by passengers. I don't think docking in San Franciso or Miami or New York is going to ruin the things you mentioned in those ports. At every port I have been to that docked, the ship has purchased local foodstuff. I have never taken food off the ship at a port and do spend my dollars at the local restaurants or cafe's. I am not advocating that the OP take food off the ship, but they could be on a very tight budget and were wondering if it was possible. I think the majority of posters gave them the advice they were seeking.

You've never been Malathioned from the air have you? Everything had to be covered, outdoor pets brought in (what the heck do you do for your herd of cows). The next day everything had to be uncovered and scrubbed down.

This is what we had to do at least 5 times in the early 90's because of an imported pest - the Mediterrean fruit fly.

Out of the Los Angeles ports the ships load up enough food for the length of the voyage + 4 days. I've never seen food or water being delivered to the ships in Mexico.

Judee

As long as they are canned or packaged you can bring things back, but there are exceptions to that rule as well. Usually it's packaged meats that can cause problems.

We always bring back small jars of Mole' and the weird flavors of Tang from Mexico.

I hope so. I have been hearing about some wonderful rum cakes and we wanted to bring one back on board.

I assume though that we would have to finish it on board as we can't bring it back home with us?

You can bring rum cakes back to all your friends, they are commercially prepared and packaged.

If you bought one from a bakery enjoy it yourselves.

Sometimes, though, the ship's newspaper will advise nothing to be brought back onboard either.

You can bring rum cakes back to all your friends, they are commercially prepared and packaged.

If you bought one from a bakery enjoy it yourselves.

Sometimes, though, the ship's newspaper will advise nothing to be brought back onboard either.

Great. Thanks!

Love this site.

[

Originally Posted by TigerStar

The famous commerically produced Tortuga Caribbean rum cakes are permitted to be brought aboard all the ships. Never heard of any ship that barred guests from bringing them. (they're delicious! :) )

Any gangway security that tries to forbid them only want to confiscate them so they can eat the cake themselves. :D

This is no different than coming back into California, many many times & being stopped at the state-line to inquire as to any fresh fruit, vegetables, meat or even soil. The agricultural check points are necessary in an attempt to stop as much pest hitchhikers as they can from moving into CA.

I have never seen an agriculture inspection station at the bottom of the gang plank at a third world port! But I guess it's ok for 2000 passengers to spread whatever sickness they brought with them to the local citizens. How does a ham sandwich and a bag of chips cause an ecological disaster?

It does NOT matter that you've never seen one; most of us HAVE seen them and have been checked.

These are LAWS. What I find amazing on these threads is the people who think it's okay to take foods ashore in "other countries" but caution others to NOT do it in Hawaii "because it's a law there.":confused:

It's a LAW everywhere and in a very small Mexican Port I watched many people ahead of us "lose" the oranges and apples they were bringing ashore from the bkfst. buffet...........BTW, the people checking their bags looked to be 13 year olds holding "big guns.............really big guns." :eek: I'd do anything they asked!

Just bring some packaged granola bars, etc. if you want to eat but not spend money.

It does NOT matter that you've never seen one; most of us HAVE seen them and have been checked.

These are LAWS. What I find amazing on these threads is the people who think it's okay to take foods ashore in "other countries" but caution others to NOT do it in Hawaii "because it's a law there.":confused:

It's a LAW everywhere and in a very small Mexican Port I watched many people ahead of us "lose" the oranges and apples they were bringing ashore from the bkfst. buffet...........BTW, the people checking their bags looked to be 13 year olds holding "big guns.............really big guns." :eek: I'd do anything they asked!

Just bring some packaged granola bars, etc. if you want to eat but not spend money.

ITA with you , KAYEF. Posts like the one by a previous poster is exactly why many American visitors are considered arrogant and inconsiderate. True "travelers" realize that we are guests in other countries. We should be willing to abide by, and be conscious of each country's laws and entry requirements, and be respectful of them. Having lived overseas in a third world country for two years, I can more than appreciate this concept.

At the very least, one should respect the rules and regulations on board the ship on which they travel. If the ship says "Take no food on shore" than so be it. I doubt anyone will starve if they don't ingest a meal for an hour or two....;)

Back on board, I have heard some of my fellow travelers laughing and ridiculing the people, their manner of dress, their language, and even the very city they have come so far to visit. Why travel?? :confused:

As has been stated many times here by several posters, "There are travelers, and there are tourists. It does not take long to decide which are which!" :)

We have even seen in a few ports where people took off the ship the pre-packaged boxes of cereal and that was taken away from the people.

Are you talking abput packaged foods? This should not be a problem. On the other hand if you mean fresh fruit and/or vegetables, you could not bring them into the US. Not sure if the ship would object.

New Zealand is that strict. I have recently learned (from a helpful member here and then from reading the New Zealand websites) that anything, even prepackaged foods, that contains nuts, dried fruits, and certain grains is generally not allowed to be brought into the country casually (e.g., by cruise passengers or visitors arriving by air). I know it seems extreme and it's not as common as the "no fruits, vegetables, or certain meats, cheeses, nuts, and seeds," but such strict rules do exist. I'm sure they are in place for good reasons.

You've never been Malathioned from the air have you? Everything had to be covered, outdoor pets brought in (what the heck do you do for your herd of cows). The next day everything had to be uncovered and scrubbed down.

This is what we had to do at least 5 times in the early 90's because of an imported pest - the Mediterrean fruit fly.

Out of the Los Angeles ports the ships load up enough food for the length of the voyage + 4 days. I've never seen food or water being delivered to the ships in Mexico.

As long as they are canned or packaged you can bring things back, but there are exceptions to that rule as well. Usually it's packaged meats that can cause problems.

We always bring back small jars of Mole' and the weird flavors of Tang from Mexico.

Like you, I have experienced the joys of scheduled malathion sprayings and other agricultural joys. Here's my best Med fly story: My best friend and I were in her apartment complex's outdoor jacuzzi lounging about and chatting one evening. It was really nice to be relaxed and have a little time away from work, family, and such. Then we heard it, the siren sound of the helicopter rotors woop-wooping from a distance and coming closer. Oh expletives! We realized that we had forgotten she was on the scheduled path for the night. We grabbed our towels and stuff and ran off, dripping wet of course, to go cover my car as fast as possible and make sure her car was fully in the enclosed carport. (Naturally, my car cover was in the trunk because you just never knew when you'd need it in those days.) We made it indoors with a bit of time to spare...phew. Horrible times.

I'm hard pressed to understand how anyone who lives in an agriculturally senstive area or state could be cavalier about the seriousness. I'm sure bar_20 doesn't mean any harm, but it's exactly those attitudes and behavior that does harm us, both ecologically and financially.

beachchick

You wouldn't want to contaminate or spoil Mexico or Jamaica now would you??

You're joking, right? I won't get into whether Mexico or Jamaica are "spoiled" because we have no real interest in visiting either and don't really know. But the contamination issue is huge. So, to answer that question: No, I wouldn't want to contaminate either (or any other place we visit) by selfish or careless smuggling of forbidden agricultural items. Infestations of pests or pathogens could destroy their agricultural system. That would make everything worse! For example, can you imagine what would happen to the financial structure of Jalisco if the blue agave fields were lost? Yeah, that would be really helpful to an already horrible economy.:rolleyes: I'm not saying that Mexico doesn't have serious problems that the people need to resolve themselves. They do and I believe that the people of Mexico need to take responsibility for figuring it out. But I am saying that losing a major and legal source of revenue wouldn't help them do it any faster.

beachchick

Like you, I have experienced the joys of scheduled malathion sprayings and other agricultural joys. Here's my best Med fly story: My best friend and I were in her apartment complex's outdoor jacuzzi lounging about and chatting one evening. It was really nice to be relaxed and have a little time away from work, family, and such. Then we heard it, the siren sound of the helicopter rotors woop-wooping from a distance and coming closer. Oh expletives! We realized that we had forgotten she was on the scheduled path for the night. We grabbed our towels and stuff and ran off, dripping wet of course, to go cover my car as fast as possible and make sure her car was fully in the enclosed carport. (Naturally, my car cover was in the trunk because you just never knew when you'd need it in those days.) We made it indoors with a bit of time to spare...phew. Horrible times.

But what stories we have to tell! I've seen the fly traps in my area recently.

I'm hard pressed to understand how anyone who lives in an agriculturally senstive area or state could be cavalier about the seriousness. I'm sure bar_20 doesn't mean any harm, but it's exactly those attitudes and behavior that does harm us, both ecologically and financially.

beachchick

I don't think the majority of the problem lies with those who have experienced this. It's the newbies to our area that have no clue. Most areas have some sort of AG that they don't want to see harmed.

You wouldn't want to contaminate or spoil Mexico or Jamaica now would you??

What an uneducated and thoughtless comment. Are you aware that the same sort of laws are in place in the state you live in to protect the citrus crop there? That citrus from Florida and certain varieties from California are prohibited from crossing the border due to potential infestation?

I had a client with some pretty severe food allergies who really couldn't take a chance of eating in local restaurants because he couldn't be sure that his meal -- even though not containing the ingredients he had to avoid -- might be cross-contaminated and cause a problem. He took his own packaged snacks on shore along with a note from his doctor explaining the situation. If I recall correctly he was stopped once and with the note had no problem getting the snacks through. But he never took any fresh produce or things like sandwiches.

We travel with kids and I suggest, as stated previously, to eat a big breakfast and you won't really even be hungry for lunch. We have packed (sealed) snacks off the ship for the kiddos. And those cereal boxes are JUST PERFECT for that. One or two of those and you're set until dinner. If we happen to get hungry mid-day, we stop in at a local eatery and have a light snack. I too had read in a travel cruise book (not sure when it was printed) and it said you could ask for the ship to pack you a picnic lunch!! But, we've found that's just not the case. So, no worries, even if you are on a strict budget....the ship offers so much food before and after you get on or off, that we find we usually don't even need to snack!! And we're an ACTIVE family!!! Happy Sailing!:cool:

Archived