Why are Aussies being overcharged for cruises?

Plato2322

BruceMuzz. I wish you had said you were 'speculating' when you made the comment that "charging higher fares to Aussies is a great way to recoup that extra expense for the cruise line". It would have saved a few of us who do pay tips getting rattled.

I am Australian, I travel and I tip. Each Australian who has posted here has said the same. We no not need to be patronised.

I'm horrified that 94% of Australians do not tip. I'd like to be able to dispute it - judging from attitudes of my friends and the people here who do all tip with no hesitation - but I have no way to do this. I guess we just must be the 6% you are referring to. It is very well publicised in Australia that tipping is required in the U.S. - so I have no idea why so few Australians (in your view) are unaware of this. I don't know how I can solve this problem. You will find ignorant people in all nationalities - and there are many more areas one can be ignorant about than just ignoring tipping.

I have read most of the posts about tipping and knew that the staff know who has removed tips. That offers me some comfort. I did not know that staff were paid $1.00 a day. In other industries/countries, there would be boycotts if such knowledge were widespread. It is horrific and will make me think about contributing to this slave labour in the future.

I'm very sad to be considered 'undesirable' by U.S. cruise lines. I have spent a lot of money travelling in many lands and am glad the source of my funds was never an issue before. Like Tanderra, I'm also feeling sad about cruising if everyone will be looking at me in this way. At least the cabin attendants may have a more positive view of me. Hopefully as this cruise is not based in the U.S. there may be enough of us 'undesirables' to join together and have fun!!! Otherwise, I'll just have to start practising a Yankee accent and disguise myself in stereotyped Yankee clothes.

Just joking - our warped Aussie sense of humour, you know.

At least I have found having an Australian passport an advantage in many other ways. I have had wonderful jobs abroad - Aussies are really sort after because of their sense of humour and work ethic. (Sorry - this is another stereotype I should not be using. I do know some pretty miserable lazy people). I have never had problems with hotels and restaurants - in fact it has regularly been a bonus not to be mistaken for other English speaking nationalities. I'm sorry you have suffered through your passport. I hope you will be made feel welcome if/when you visit Australia. You will certainly be welcomed for your tipping!

Have just read on another thread (lunch boxes) that CC members are only 2% of cruisers. Looks like we non U.S. residents have a good chance no one will recognise us and see us as 'undesirable'. He he he. Blame my postings on the wet weather and the rather nice bottle of red for dinner. A land of drought and flooding rain - haven't seen the sun for a couple of weeks here. And another week of rain predicted.

Sometimes you just have to laugh. Wish I'd done this earlier.

If cruise lines are so convinced all Ausies don't tip then why don't they all do what the cruise line I am travelling on does and have all gratuities pre-paid- with no option? I love this as it tells e the true cost of the holiday straight away and it is all dealt with before we sail. In fact why don't they just do that for everyone given that I am sure there must be a percentage of any nationality that decides to cheap out on tips. I do agree with the above poster also though- why are the crew not striking and insisting on a decent hourly wage? One of the problems comes about because Aussies hate false advertising and feeling they are being lied to. When I am told my steak costs $20.00 I feel I should pay $20.00 - not $20.00 plus tax plus tips. Just tell me upfront on the menu that it really costs $26.00 or whatever!!! Same with our trips- don't tell us a flight, or a cruise, or a hotel costs a certain amount then spring a whole lot of other charges at us once we have signed. We view that as dishonest and it really gets our backs up. Give us the total cost straight up. - And I say all this as someone who always tips the appropiate amount- just expressing a simple desire for truth in advertising.

Rarely do I ever feel like I need to start a thread with, "I'm an American", but on this one I do. So there. This is such an interesting thread as I had never known that Austrailians don't tip in their everyday lives. The more I think about it, the more sense it makes. As a previous poster said, just show me the total cost and I'll pay it.

As for wondering how your cabin attendant or waiter feels about you if you are an Aussie, thinking that they may feel cheated that they got stuck with you - here's a suggestion that I sometimes use and know that others use - pay your tips upfront. One day one, give your cabin attendant the suggested tip with a suggestions that there might be more at the end of the cruise if the service is better than average. This would do two things - neutralize the notion that Aussies don't tip and encourage better than average service.

I'm also still confused about Aussies paying more for the cruise. As I have mentioned earlier in this thread - the price I paid for the Hawaii to Sydney cruise coming up was exactly the same as one I pulled up on an Austrailian travel agency site to the penney!!

You folks need to do your homework a bit better.

You are talking about NCL's PRIDE of America.

Song of America was the name of a former RCCL ship.

The only major cruiseline that is NOT unionized is Disney.

On all the others, all rank and file employees are represented by several different international maritime unions. These unions negotiate crew contracts that stipulate salaries and working conditions.

On most major cruise lines, most of the Officers are also union members.

I am trying to do my due diligence but I am having a hard time trying to find the union that covers the cruise ship workers that receive tips. I am not talking about the officers of the ship. It was my bad on the cruise ship sailing around Hawaii, it is in fact Pride of America. Please tell me what union handles these workers. From the information I have gathered I have not found one other ship that has unionized workers, again those that receive tips, under contract besides the Pride of America. I have no doubt you are correct about the tip situation and Austrailians. I would say 90% of the Aussie cruisers that visit CC do pay their tips however as you have said that is not the norm.

I am trying to do my due diligence but I am having a hard time trying to find the union that covers the cruise ship workers that receive tips. I am not talking about the officers of the ship. It was my bad on the cruise ship sailing around Hawaii, it is in fact Pride of America. Please tell me what union handles these workers. From the information I have gathered I have not found one other ship that has unionized workers, again those that receive tips, under contract besides the Pride of America. I have no doubt you are correct about the tip situation and Austrailians. I would say 90% of the Aussie cruisers that visit CC do pay their tips however as you have said that is not the norm.

S.I.U. Seafarers International Union is the union that the crew of the Pride of America belongs to. Not sure where there headquarter are, but they do have a very large training center in Piney Pt., MD which is located in Southern Maryland.

S.I.U. Seafarers International Union is the union that the crew of the Pride of America belongs to. Not sure where there headquarter are, but they do have a very large training center in Piney Pt., MD which is located in Southern Maryland.

Do the employees on other NCL ships belong to this union? How about other cruise lines? CCL? RCL?

Do the employees on other NCL ships belong to this union? How about other cruise lines? CCL? RCL?

The S.I.U., despite it's name, is an AMERICAN Maritime Union. One of the last ones surviving in America by the way. Most of the other American Maritime Unions are bankrupt.

The SIU represents AMERICAN workers on AMERICAN Flag ships.

There is only one US Flag Ocean-going cruise ship (the NCL Pride of America in Hawaii), and a few small US Flag Coastal ships on the US East and West Coasts.

Why would an Indonesian cabin steward, working in a Bahamian Flag ship, want to join an American Union?

Aside from the fact that the dues alone would be more than his total salary, it wouldn't make any sense. His International Contract is negotiated between an International Maritime Union and in International Transportation Company, under the authority of the International Labor Organization (ILO). US Unions and the US Government that sanctions them have no authority over International Employees.

Can you imagine auto plant workers in China joining the United Auto Workers in Detroit?

Not likely.

You need to dig a bit deeper. We all belong to International Maritime Unions - except for the Disney Cruise Line employees.

If cruise lines are so convinced all Ausies don't tip then why don't they all do what the cruise line I am travelling on does and have all gratuities pre-paid- with no option? I love this as it tells e the true cost of the holiday straight away and it is all dealt with before we sail. In fact why don't they just do that for everyone given that I am sure there must be a percentage of any nationality that decides to cheap out on tips. I do agree with the above poster also though- why are the crew not striking and insisting on a decent hourly wage? One of the problems comes about because Aussies hate false advertising and feeling they are being lied to. When I am told my steak costs $20.00 I feel I should pay $20.00 - not $20.00 plus tax plus tips. Just tell me upfront on the menu that it really costs $26.00 or whatever!!! Same with our trips- don't tell us a flight, or a cruise, or a hotel costs a certain amount then spring a whole lot of other charges at us once we have signed. We view that as dishonest and it really gets our backs up. Give us the total cost straight up. - And I say all this as someone who always tips the appropiate amount- just expressing a simple desire for truth in advertising.

I agree completely. That is what cruise lines SHOULD do to avoid the confusion and problems experienced by Aussies and Kiwis, as outlined here.

But you need to look at the situation from the viewpoint of the seller - the major Cruise Lines who have specifically tailored their product to the North American Market. Most of what happens on the mass market lines today is specifically designed to make North Americans comfortable, and to get as much money out of their pockets at the same time.

This formula has made them many Billions of US Dollars in profits. Even in 2009, one of the worst financial periods in world history, the worlds largest mass market cruise line company- Carnival Corporation - had it's most profitable year EVER.

I think we all must be forced to agree that they must be doing something right to be so profitable when nearly everyone else around them is failing.

Now we are suggesting that those wildly successful cruise line companies change their winning formula that has worked so well for about 14 MILLION passengers last year to accommodate the wants and needs of a few thousand people from the other side of the world, who don't want to tip and don't spend much money onboard.

This doesn't really make any sense in the business world.

Better to accept the business from those who don't want to follow the program, but charge them a bit more to cover the aggravation. If they don't like it, they are free to take their business elsewhere. No harm, no foul

Should we also suggest that Australia institute tipping of all service staff in Australia to accommodate the tastes of the small number of American tourists visiting Australia?

Not likely.

This makes as much sense as suggesting the cruise lines change their system.

We need to look at the big picture here. The mass market cruise lines have just one purpose and one goal; to make as much profit as possible.

They don't care who you are or where you come from - so long as you allow them to make their goals.

If you don't fit their program, they just don't need you.

Making tips pre-paid and compulsory does not alter their whole marketing campaign. Just makes sure the non-tippers do tip. As someone else has said though I now feel quite ill about cruising at all. And I have always tipped everwhere I have been.

Making tips pre-paid and compulsory does not alter their whole marketing campaign. Just makes sure the non-tippers do tip. As someone else has said though I now feel quite ill about cruising at all. And I have always tipped everwhere I have been.

Actually it would COMPLETELY alter their marketing campaigns.

In America - the key market for the cruise lines - most passengers consider 3 major elements when shopping for a cruise; Price, Price, and Price.

If one cruise line offers a cruise for $5 less than the others, everyone flocks to the cruise that costs $5 less.

Then they should ALL add the tips at the same time, you say.

Great idea.

But in America that can be construed as price fixing. Strictly illegal.

The legal costs to work this out in the American court system would be staggering.

Then there are the labor Unions to deal with.

Unlike other businesses, there are multiple labor unions involved in this situation. Often there is a Filipino Labor Union for the Filipino Crew; an Indonesian Labor Union for the Indonesian Crew, etc, etc,

In many ways the unions are quite happy with the situation as it is.

Optional tips means that the tipped employees make a bit less than they would otherwise.

The unions know that the cruise lines have a budget for labor cost. Lower earnings means more employees can be employed under that budget. More employees means more people paying dues to the union. The unions make more money this way. They would very likely oppose any changes as you suggest.

All the labor contracts for all the service staff on all the ships - except Disney - are written and negotiated with the current tipping system in mind.

Changing the system would force the cruise lines to re-negotiate all the contracts with all the different labor unions. Can you imagine how expensive and time-consuming that would be?

Next we have to consider income taxes.

Paying the service staff (officially) only US$1 per day dramatically reduces the paperwork and expense of dealing with tax liability for employees from about 100 different countries.

If the tips are legally changed to "salary", the cruise lines will be forced to spend big money to hire additional staff and administrate all the tax business for all their employees.

The employees are not too excited about changing those "tips" to salary.

In many countries tips are not taxed; salary is taxed.

If the tips legally become salary, many cruise line employees will demand higher pay to cover the taxes - or they will resign and go elsewhere.

The cruise lines cannot afford either scenario.

Judging from passenger feedback about cruise prices, neither can many of the passengers.

And finally - and most importantly - why change a system that works so well for so many people?

The cruise lines are making big money every year.

An average of 96% of mass market cruisers tell us that they like the current tipping system.

That approval rating gets better every year as the older cruisers who preferred the previous systems are dying off.

99.9% of mass market cruisers come from countries where tipping and other added costs are normal. Most are quite comfortable with the status quo.

Why should the cruise lines make major, expensive, and potentially risky changes to such a successful system to accommodate the 0.1% who don't like it?

Sorry- the changes would not be for everyone- just for the Aussie and Kiwi market. Obviously you would not change it for a market that is used to operating that way.

I can assure you that the cruise lines will do ANYTHING if they believe that there is a reasonable profit attached.

Now we just need to convince them that the Aussie and Kiwi Market is important enough for them to act.

BruceMuzz....lets get one thing straight first off.

The population of the USA is currently 308 MILLION !

The population of Australia is currently 21 Million!...big difference, yeah?

So you say that now we are suggesting that the wildly successful cruise line companies change their winning formula that has worked so well for about 14 MILLION passengers last year to accommodate the wants and needs of a few thousand people from the other side of the world who don't want to tip and don't spend much money onboard.

I am very offended by your remarks and quite obviously you only want Americans to cruise!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...shame on you!

You also said that in America that would be construed as price fixing....what on earth do you call it when we are charged more than Americans?...it's 'price fixing', that's what.

Tipping in Australia is not because we don't want to tip...as I have said earlier, I still tip here if I receive good service....it is because our workers earn good money.

I have also stated that I have travelled extensively in the USA, including San Francisco and I have always tipped above and beyond what is normally expected. I also have loved being in the company of the American people who I have met in your country.

I really wish I knew which company you worked for...be it a TA or a cruise line. Maybe I will write to all the cruise lines and let them know how you....masquerading under a ficticious name...have really put me off visiting the USA again.

Here is what was in our newspaper yesterday, taking into account that we have many ships come into Fremantle, I have seen 'Rhapsody' twice in the past few months, and will see her again on the 15th....as well as P&O and Princess.

WA on the global cruise map.

Queen Victoria is the first in a line of big cruise ships to visit Fremantle. The 116,000-tonne Diamond Princess called in Tuesday and the 3056-passenger Queen Mary 2...the fifth biggest cruise ship in the world....will arrive on March 14th as part of a 101-night world voyage.

Sandy Olsen, director of corporate affairs for Carnival Australia, the company that represents Cunard, said these visits were evidence of both the rapid growth of cruising in Australia and the fondness passengers have for WA.

"Cruising in this country is growing at a phenominal rate, and in WA it's just as fast, if not faster" she said. "WA really is part of the global cruising map these days: passengers are keen to see the coastline but also these historic ports.

And every time the Queen Victoria enters a port she generates about $500,000 for the local economy:"

I think Mr BruceMuzz that it is time you stopped patronizing Australians, Kiwi's et al.....because that is exactly what you are doing.

Charlie Chan, yes, we should all get together :D...and have a good time, the way we know how.

Gerlin...I am from Adelaide :D....and I love Brisbane and Melbourne too.

much is being presumed about tipping and how it maybe/or not to the price paid by various countries.

i wonder if it also has something to do with the present economic situation some countries find themselves??

for example last year we found ourselves on a cruise with people from the usa who had managed to get a lot of 2 for 1 deals. we all know things have been dire in much of usa with 10% unemployment in some areas etc.

where as in australia the unemployment rate has not gone above 6%.

so it could be argued that less inducements need to be offered to gain business from that market?

tipping/service charges etc are more commonly being included in many areas.

tipping is not a competitive sport and if someone wants to disclose how much they tip ok, but really it is a personal decision and not one for open discussion?

it also needs to be recognised that cruise prices are baseline min cost of the actual expenditure on the trip. once on board there are lots of costs for example drinks etc.

if a tea totaller perhaps the cruise from a business point of view, should charge that customer more because they will not yield as much the heavy alcohol consumers?

the question is very general. australians live all over the world and therefore are likely to purchase cruises from anywhere. plus we all know some cruises are aimed at a certain market and are probably priced accordingly. must be sure we are comparing apples with apples.

life is too short for angry words and unpleasentness. on a cruise i would not dream of asking how much some has tipped, it is none of my business.

regards.

I am an aussie and my husband and I travel a lot. We believe that when in Rome do as the Romans do and therefore we respect the customs of the country we are in at the time. We always tip in the US. We also tip anywhere else it is customary as well as in restaurants here in Australia. Last year my husband and I did a world trip and in amongst that trip we did a bus trip in Europe for which we prepaid our gratuities. The bus was 90% full of aussies but we were amongst the few that had prepaid. We were told we had to in order to secure the booking so we did. It caused lots of debates amongst everyone on the tour as to what was right and what those that didn't prepay should pay particularly as those that had prepaid had paid quite a heafty amount. At the end of the day I felt comfortable with the fact we had prepaid and would be more than happy to do it again when overseas. It's done and paid for and then doesn't need to be thought about again. For what it's worth, those that did prepay all paid the same and those that didn't never disclosed (nor were they asked!) what they ended up paying.

We have been several times to the US before and really love the people and the country. We always feel welcome there so I'm going to ignore the rather less savoury comments about aussies that I've read in this thread otherwise I'll feel somewhat uncomfortable when going on the cruise we are planning and I really don't want to do that. :(

My point in adding this post is to ask the aussies who have booked direct with the US if they would be kind enough to report back with how they went embarking - whether they were disallowed. I want to book our cruise for next year via the US but don't want to do so and find that it was money just thrown to the wind because they wouldn't let us on the ship. Also, we are going with our best friends who have never been to the US before and I want it to go well particularly as the female party's mother has recently deceased and she is grieving the loss. I would rather give the whole cruise a miss than to have that happen to them and to pay the "aussie" cost will not be something we can all afford.

Thank you and look forward to your reply.

Hi Flossygirl :)...as you will have gathered, I didn't book through a US travel agent. I just wanted to wish you all the best and I send my love and best wishes to your friend who has lost her mother.

Gerton....sorry ;)...I spelt your name wrong.

much is being presumed about tipping and how it maybe/or not to the price paid by various countries.

i wonder if it also has something to do with the present economic situation some countries find themselves??

for example last year we found ourselves on a cruise with people from the usa who had managed to get a lot of 2 for 1 deals. we all know things have been dire in much of usa with 10% unemployment in some areas etc.

where as in australia the unemployment rate has not gone above 6%.

so it could be argued that less inducements need to be offered to gain business from that market?

tipping/service charges etc are more commonly being included in many areas.

tipping is not a competitive sport and if someone wants to disclose how much they tip ok, but really it is a personal decision and not one for open discussion?

it also needs to be recognised that cruise prices are baseline min cost of the actual expenditure on the trip. once on board there are lots of costs for example drinks etc.

if a tea totaller perhaps the cruise from a business point of view, should charge that customer more because they will not yield as much the heavy alcohol consumers?

the question is very general. australians live all over the world and therefore are likely to purchase cruises from anywhere. plus we all know some cruises are aimed at a certain market and are probably priced accordingly. must be sure we are comparing apples with apples.

life is too short for angry words and unpleasentness. on a cruise i would not dream of asking how much some has tipped, it is none of my business.

regards.

Hi :)....I most certainly agree with most of what you say...but, I am a tee totaller because I am a diabetic. I do make up for it by buying many other things....on my OH's CC ;) I would hope that I wouldn't be penalised because I am a diabetic.

Regards :)

My point in adding this post is to ask the aussies who have booked direct with the US if they would be kind enough to report back with how they went embarking - whether they were disallowed. I want to book our cruise for next year via the US but don't want to do so and find that it was money just thrown to the wind because they wouldn't let us on the ship. Also, we are going with our best friends who have never been to the US before and I want it to go well particularly as the female party's mother has recently deceased and she is grieving the loss. I would rather give the whole cruise a miss than to have that happen to them and to pay the "aussie" cost will not be something we can all afford.

Thank you and look forward to your reply.

Dear Flossygirl

We are British and have booked two cruises through a US travel agent with absolutely no problems whatsoever. The UK cruise prices - for the same ships - are also extortionate, and we wouldn't have been able to afford it otherwise. We purchase our airfare separately, and just board like any other passenger.

Send me a PM if you want the name of our travel agent - I didn't know if I could mention her on here, but she's an absolute star and has helped us through many changes-of-plan.

It's lovely you want to make sure your friend has a good experience considering her recent loss. I hope you do get this book and have a fantastic time!!!

BruceMuzz....lets get one thing straight first off.

The population of the USA is currently 308 MILLION !

The population of Australia is currently 21 Million!...big difference, yeah?

So you say that now we are suggesting that the wildly successful cruise line companies change their winning formula that has worked so well for about 14 MILLION passengers last year to accommodate the wants and needs of a few thousand people from the other side of the world who don't want to tip and don't spend much money onboard.

I am very offended by your remarks and quite obviously you only want Americans to cruise!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...shame on you!

You also said that in America that would be construed as price fixing....what on earth do you call it when we are charged more than Americans?...it's 'price fixing', that's what.

Tipping in Australia is not because we don't want to tip...as I have said earlier, I still tip here if I receive good service....it is because our workers earn good money.

I have also stated that I have travelled extensively in the USA, including San Francisco and I have always tipped above and beyond what is normally expected. I also have loved being in the company of the American people who I have met in your country.

I really wish I knew which company you worked for...be it a TA or a cruise line. Maybe I will write to all the cruise lines and let them know how you....masquerading under a ficticious name...have really put me off visiting the USA again.

Here is what was in our newspaper yesterday, taking into account that we have many ships come into Fremantle, I have seen 'Rhapsody' twice in the past few months, and will see her again on the 15th....as well as P&O and Princess.

WA on the global cruise map.

Queen Victoria is the first in a line of big cruise ships to visit Fremantle. The 116,000-tonne Diamond Princess called in Tuesday and the 3056-passenger Queen Mary 2...the fifth biggest cruise ship in the world....will arrive on March 14th as part of a 101-night world voyage.

Sandy Olsen, director of corporate affairs for Carnival Australia, the company that represents Cunard, said these visits were evidence of both the rapid growth of cruising in Australia and the fondness passengers have for WA.

"Cruising in this country is growing at a phenominal rate, and in WA it's just as fast, if not faster" she said. "WA really is part of the global cruising map these days: passengers are keen to see the coastline but also these historic ports.

And every time the Queen Victoria enters a port she generates about $500,000 for the local economy:"

I think Mr BruceMuzz that it is time you stopped patronizing Australians, Kiwi's et al.....because that is exactly what you are doing.

Charlie Chan, yes, we should all get together :D...and have a good time, the way we know how.

Gerlin...I am from Adelaide :D....and I love Brisbane and Melbourne too.

Tanderra,

Sorry you are offended. That was not my intention.

I want only people who spend plenty of money onboard and tip lots to keep my staff happy to cruise. I really don't care where they come from or live.

By the way, it's not my country. I live in Europe and unfortunately carry an American Passport.

I'm not a lawyer, don't live in America, and don't make the American laws. But my company's lawyers tell me that if all the major cruise lines decided to add tips into their fares at the same time, it would be illegal under American law. Maybe you know better..........

Is charging more to one group than to another illegal (Price fixing) in Australia? I really don't know or care. Perhaps you should consult an Australian lawyer on this issue. Perhaps you have the basis for a legitimate lawsuit????

I'm not too enchanted with visiting America either. I will only go there to board the ship I work on. But if you really have the need to "tell on me", please feel free. I'm having flashbacks to elementary school right now..........................

I patronize ALL cruise passengers - regardless of their origins. That's what we do in the cruise industry. I'm only able to tell you the absolute truth when I can post it here - without the knowledge of my employer.

If you prefer to hear a lovely fantasy story - rather than the truth - perhaps we will meet on a criuse sometime, and I will tell you one.

So you patronize everyone, its what you do in the cruise industry?

I know I will never cruise again after this one :(

Sorry about your country of residence but it does say San Francisco....and no! I would never say anything about you...you have to realise that you have upset quite a few people with your posts. Hence we get upset. 'Bye BruceMuzz.

I am sorry UKBayern but you are absolutely mistaken about Celebrity in this particular case TA earn NOTHING on all other offerings reguardless of where and who does the purchase. There is no such thing as a group discount - they get the official daily price for the day they sign up their group. They can get a marginally higher % the earlier they close their bookings and finalize the group - otherwise they earn NOTHING. Yes they do get their free beds but then some divide that up and reduce their rates (which if you have 30 or more rooms is not worth even mentioning) or they send some one along as a group co ordinator.

It is up to you to ask for the booking number if the TA forgets to give it to you. By the way they don't put all their client into groups how ever many Agencies do put together their own groups as a package because those are far more popular in Europe than they are in other parts of the world. The reason for that is also in some cases the language barrier. Some would like cruise on english speaking ships but would never try because they don't speak enough english. If however an agencies sends someone along to help and purhaps organizes foreign language excursions well that is only possible within a group.

I am from Europ too and recently noticed that we had to pay more on a cruise with MSC.Now i booked directly with NCL and i did not have any problem at all.So you have to find the wright cruise company

So you patronize everyone, its what you do in the cruise industry?

I know I will never cruise again after this one :(

Sorry about your country of residence but it does say San Francisco....and no! I would never say anything about you...you have to realise that you have upset quite a few people with your posts. Hence we get upset. 'Bye BruceMuzz.

I think you are in dire need of a "chill pill". Why do you insist on shooting the messanger? Bruce is just telling how things "are". He's even said several times that he personally doen't like the way some things "are". Your beef is with the cruise lines - but you shouldn't expect them to change to satisfy your sensibilities - they are always going to do what works for the majority. What works for the majority is what makes them the big bucks.

I think you are in dire need of a "chill pill". Why do you insist on shooting the messanger? Bruce is just telling how things "are". He's even said several times that he personally doen't like the way some things "are". Your beef is with the cruise lines - but you shouldn't expect them to change to satisfy your sensibilities - they are always going to do what works for the majority. What works for the majority is what makes them the big bucks.

Sorry Tillie, but there is a difference between a messenger and a mischeif maker. He did more than simply state a fact, he engaged in conjecture in a judgemental tone, then went on to stir the pot by making rather disparaging comments disguised as widely held opinions about a particular group. Here's where it began to go off the rails:

Originally Posted by BruceMuzz viewpost.gif

Aussies don't tip.

They insist in doing things "their way" - even when they are NOT in their country.

The cruise lines have agreements with the tipped crew to cover shortages in tips when passengers don't tip.

Charging higher fares to Aussies is a great way to recoup that extra expense for the cruise lines.

Are those statements of fact, or do you think there might be a little subjectivity in there somewhere?

Just because a couple of posters give the reason for high prices in certain countries as "because Australians etc do not tip" are we to take this as gospel:confused: I doubt there are many passengers from any country who would actually remove tips from their bill. Those breakdowns provided to crew must be awfully long. Last year on Cunard the Captain stated there were thirty plus nationalities on board.

Perhaps the Australians spend more on drinks. I have noticed that Europeans including British seem to order more wine in the dining room. Yes a sweeping statement, but so have been the others. A whole nation of people cannot be bunched together. There are soooo many threads on here about smuggling booze on board, will they include people who haven't bought enough drinks be broke down by nationality too:rolleyes:

I think everyone who has experienced these high price differences should write to the relevant cruise lines and their national media. I am going to write to HAL and Cunard and The Times (UK)

Archived