$10 fee on visitors to the United States. (CDNs excepted)

C 2 C

There is a new $10 fee for visitors to the US:

Nothing like improving a visitor's attitude then by charging them for the "Come to the America" campaign.

http://www.thestar.com/travel/article/775306--u-s-exempts-canadians-from-10-visitor-fee?bn=1

I'm sure the European countries will be reciprocating.

Who thinks up these silly things???

It sure doesnot give a "welcome" idea to many tourists.

Those same tourists spend a lot of money - hotels, rentalcars, meals etc, so I really wonder if this extra tax is necessary.

Officials say the $200 million program is aimed at reversing the damage of years of negative impressions about the difficulty of crossing the U.S. border.

Wouldn't paying that extra $10 only increase the negative impressions? :)

As the taxes and fees for us in the UK to fly over and visit you are already in the region of $250 - mainly due to the UK government charging £40 each way in supposed green taxes - what's another 10 bucks? We can't afford to come anyway.:(

And as for the exchange rate !!!

It looks as if New England in the Fall will have to wait a year or two.:(:(:(:(

It's only $10. I mean, that's REALLY low compared to some countries... like doesn't Argentina charge $70?! Or I really like the countries that charge you to LEAVE... I think Cuba it is around $30 just to leave the country!

I think anyone really wanted to go to the US on vacation won't let $10 scare them off.

It's only $10. I mean, that's REALLY low compared to some countries... like doesn't Argentina charge $70?! Or I really like the countries that charge you to LEAVE... I think Cuba it is around $30 just to leave the country!

I think anyone really wanted to go to the US on vacation won't let $10 scare them off.

ehmm I hope you aren't having to travel there anytime real soon because it is 130,- USD for you now if you are from the US

No but it does get my knickers in a knot because US guests may visit my country without having to give us all the details of great Grandmas second last dog, having to do so at least 72 hours prior to even trying to get on the plane and then maybe even being sent home again without recourse. Also our US guest also get to visit several other countires without paying a cent at any border. Well maybe they have just forgotten what the word GUESTmeans!

Yeah, Arno, but since we have such a "special relationship" with Canada, you guys get a free pass.:rolleyes:;)

Doesn't that just make you feel so special??:D

Oh you're making me blush....LOL :o

I admit to preferring to be a head in the sand type. If they bury it in the cost of a ticket, it doesn't annoy me nearly as much as airport fees or whatever that you pay on the spot. Anyone looking at all the fees on a travel agent receipt would realize an airplane ticket from Canada to the US has many, many lines of fees on it already.

.......No but it does get my knickers in a knot because US guests may visit my country without having to give us all the details of great Grandmas second last dog, having to do so at least 72 hours prior to even trying to get on the plane and then maybe even being sent home again without recourse. Also our US guest also get to visit several other countires without paying a cent at any border. Well maybe they have just forgotten what the word GUEST means!

No, I don't think we have forgotten what it means to be a "Guest". :)

And I sincerely hope that your country, or indeed any other country in the world, never has to experience what we did on September 11, 2001. My husband was supposed to be at the Pentagon that morning, and my brother was very close to ground zero in NY. I understand the frustrations with bureacracy and red tape when it comes to travel these days but if it keeps my family safe, then I support it.

I understand the frustrations with bureacracy and red tape when it comes to travel these days but if it keeps my family safe, then I support it.

I believe the purpose of the $ 10 fee is to pay for the advertising to attract more tourists (Come to America campaign). There is no reference to using this fee for a safer visit.

If you stop to compare the high charges made to leave the UK with the very low ones to leave the USA

The $10 visitors every 2 years is a drop in the bucket

The UK Government has taxed everything so high now its eye watering

The airlines are all on their as it is without the UK Government turning a HUGE screw in the way of Departure Tax that is sure to be way way higher than anywhere else in the world

It could be worse. How about that lovely $50 per passenger tax that Alaska hung on the cruise industry. I was going to finally do an Alaska cruise, but will put it off until that tax goes away.

By the way, many countries have added much higher fees than the paltry $10 the U.S. is adding.

Happy cruising to all!

Bob

I believe the purpose of the $ 10 fee is to pay for the advertising to attract more tourists (Come to America campaign). There is no reference to using this fee for a safer visit.

From the article previously mentioned article:

"Signed into law Thursday by U.S. President Barack Obama, the American Travel Promotion Act is designed to boost travel to the U.S., which fell precipitously as heightened security measures took hold in the aftermath of 9/11."

Actually it could be considered a consequence of what happened on 9/11. However you are taking my remarks out of context, as they were in response to a specific comment made about the required security procedures for foreign citizens for entry to the US. I did not say it was to make visits safer.

As a Canadian I'm not quite sure how to take that!

I live in Northernmost Wisconsin -- most folks on this side of the border consider most Canadians to be more American than some others from the US. Apart from the differences in how we pronounce words like "about" and "schedule", and how we spell words that end in "or" (or should that be "our") -- I feel I have much more in common with Candians than with US "coasties" (East/West/South). Now had you just "lent" us a few better curlers for the US women's Olympic team (half were born in Canada) perhaps I'd have even warmer fuzzier feelings toward you guys.

I believe quite a few countries already impose a tax/fee of some sort and this is not a new concept. I specifically recall paying a departure tax/fee on several cruises which finished up outside of the U.S. at the related airports.

Archived