$10 fee on visitors to the United States. (CDNs excepted)

C 2 C

Those arguing about visa costs seem to be ignoring the fact that the $10 fee is being applied to nationalities who are part of the Visa Waiver Program, i.e. they don't require visas. So comparing the situation to countries where a visa is required for any type of entry doesn't seem particularly useful.

What I find so amusing in all this is that the US government announced a campaign to attract tourists and in it's infinite wisdom decided to tax some tourists to pay for the program.

It's a matter of perception. The reason for the campaign is the precipitous drop in tourism due to the generally held perception that the US does not want foreigners visiting. Adding a tax, regardless of the actual amount, simply cancels out the message that foreigners are welcome.

Those arguing about visa costs seem to be ignoring the fact that the $10 fee is being applied to nationalities who are part of the Visa Waiver Program, i.e. they don't require visas. So comparing the situation to countries where a visa is required for any type of entry doesn't seem particularly useful.

The concept of reciprocity is the idea applied. This fee is not applied to nationalities who are part of the Visa Waiver program, just as for example the requirements for visa are relieved for free travel between Schengen Visa countries.

Britain is in the visa waiver programme. We used to complete the form aboard the aircraft or at the airport when arriving. We now have to complete an Esta online, which is supposed to take the place of the VW. The Esta was free, but we found on entering the USA in November, we still had to complete the VW!!!!!! The $10 fee will be applied to the Esta, and not paid as a separate entry tax. the Esta is supposed to last for 2 years.

The concept of reciprocity is the idea applied. This fee is not applied to nationalities who are part of the Visa Waiver program, just as for example the requirements for visa are relieved for free travel between Schengen Visa countries.

Reciprocity?

This fee is being applied to those countries who are part of the Visa Waiver program because others already pay a visa fee. Reciprocity will mean that those same countries will now probably retaliate by requiring Americans to pay an entry fee when they do not have a visa for countries that don't require them..

As I google info on this TPA, Americans like the idea of foreigners paying a tax. No one like to pay a new fee including the waiting time for the privilege of paying the fee.

The message "hey people, here is a fee that you can pay to see how easy it is to visit the USA, after you are finger printed and photographed of course."

Reciprocity?

This fee is being applied to those countries who are part of the Visa Waiver program because others already pay a visa fee. Reciprocity will mean that those same countries will now probably retaliate by requiring Americans to pay an entry fee when they do not have a visa for countries that don't require them..

As I google info on this TPA, Americans like the idea of foreigners paying a tax. No one like to pay a new fee including the waiting time for the privilege of paying the fee.

The message "hey people, here is a fee that you can pay to see how easy it is to visit the USA, after you are finger printed and photographed of course."

Arno, do you pay bridge or tunnel tolls in Canada? Do you pay to get one side and then pay again to come across again to when you started? Do you pay just one way and the other way is waived? Its a toll, its a tax, its a fee, its what ever it is and its in effect, so there you have it. Would you rather have a Visa to come to the US for a few weeks vacation? I'd say that will slow things down!

As for mocking Americans, which it appears to me you are doing at this point, you don't have to agree with the policy. We can however start talking about simple mechanical failures that were pretty laughable when all eyes were watching what you guys were doing... just to keep things civil.:)

You never know they might use the money to send there Immigration officers for charisma transplants, we have just come back from the USA through Atlanta and have to say we met by the most obnoxious immigration officer ever given a nice silver badge, lets hope in future we will be treated as guests and not as pains in the backside.

Arno, do you pay bridge or tunnel tolls in Canada? Do you pay to get one side and then pay again to come across again to when you started? Do you pay just one way and the other way is waived? Its a toll, its a tax, its a fee, its what ever it is and its in effect, so there you have it. Would you rather have a Visa to come to the US for a few weeks vacation? I'd say that will slow things down!

As for mocking Americans, which it appears to me you are doing at this point, you don't have to agree with the policy. We can however start talking about simple mechanical failures that were pretty laughable when all eyes were watching what you guys were doing... just to keep things civil.:)

I pay a toll for using the bridge or the tunnel because I'm using something someone has built. If I were to cross the border where there is no water to be crossed, I do not pay a fee for the privilege of crossing the border. If I pay a toll on a turnpike it is for the use of the road which makes travel faster. I can choose to pick a different road that would be less convenient but the choice of paying is mine. The reason I travel to the USA is because the cruise ships leave from there. If a visa was required I would refuse to go there and take my holidays elsewhere.

My point of view is that forcing a fee upon people who wish to visit a place with no value added by paying that fee, by causing a delay when people are required to line up to pay that fee, the attitude of the visitor is not improved. The purpose as outlined so far is that the visitor will be required to pay a fee to pay for the advertising that is supposed to show how easy it is to visit the USA.

and what is this supposed to mean and how does it relate to the fee?: "We can however start talking about simple mechanical failures that were pretty laughable when all eyes were watching what you guys were doing... just to keep things civil.":confused:

You never know they might use the money to send there Immigration officers for charisma transplants, we have just come back from the USA through Atlanta and have to say we met by the most obnoxious immigration officer ever given a nice silver badge, lets hope in future we will be treated as guests and not as pains in the backside.

Setting aside other comparisons between border policies--I know the fingerprinting and such are insulting and there is no comparison--U.K. immigration officials at Heathrow can be quite harsh to people coming through the non-citizen line. I don't think it's an issue of politeness or national culture, but a deliberate effort to do their jobs thoroughly. One thing the U.K. and the U.S. have in common is that both economies are relatively open to illegal immigrants--and being tough on potential illegal immigrants, and even legal immigrants, can be good politics in both places. Americans don't get to experience how our country greets non-U.S. citizens arriving in our airports, but that is true for every country and its immigration employees.

Reciprocity?

You're exactly right. Other countries that participate in the Visa Waiver fee will soon institute a similar fee. We see that take place every time an industrialized nation institutes an a unilateral tax/tariff -- other countries follow suit. Some Americans may have no problem with this tax now, since will be imposed only on guests coming into the U.S. But will they feel the same way when Americans have to pay the fee to enter into other Visa Waiver countries? And how will they feel when the fee increases from $10, or if they are footing the bill for a family or large group?

I think folks have to understand that this has nothing to do with promoting tourism. It is a way for the Government to increase its coffers and award its donors in the travel industry for their political contributions. If the U.S. were interested in promoting this country and tourism, the Government would stop continually decreasing the public diplomacy budgets of our State Department and USIA. Unfortunately, it prefers this easy money grab.

Unlike some others on this board, I am grateful that visitors are continuing to visit our country, albeit in smaller numbers. Hitting visitors with a head tax as soon as they step foot into this country sends the wrong message, however -- we're supposed to be bigger country than that. (My wife still complains about Costa Rica charging us a "departure tax." She couldn't believe that a second world country would do that. Likewise, we stopped cruising for at least two years when the fuel surcharge fiasco first occurred. So, relatively small charges can create a bad impression and, in limited cases, actually deter patronage. But when you talking about millions of potential visitors, "limited cases" can add up.)

Have found the answer to my questions in the british press. It's going to be 5 months to a year before we have to pay. The charge will be on the Esta (which is free now), and has to be applied for at least 72 hours before travelling to the USA. The Esta lasts for 2 years, so charge is $5 per year. That's not so bad.

I found this article, apologies if it has already been discussed:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/travel/2010/mar/05/us-charge-tourists-to-enter

It the $10 does in fact relate to the completion of the ESTA documentation then multiple entry into the USA is catered for. It will be interesting to see how long it takes for the systems to be put into place to handle the fee collection, it took forever for the ESTA form implementation albeit it was obligatory from Dec 08 and we STILL have to complete the GREEN waiver form which ESTA was supposed to replace. So it sounds like just another monetary con, but why should we be so surprised !!. AND if the fee does not relate to ESTA then its one big fund syphon.

Felt I should have a little rant, having spent a lot of dollars in the US over the last few years and also come across the not too welcoming reception.

Speaking of taxes and such. We're doing a B2B this September, both 12 days, and both with equal stops in the Hawaiian Islands, but the second cruise which leaves Hawaii and ends in Mexico charges $21.59 per person more in taxes than the first cruise that starts in Canada and ends in Hawaii.

Why?

Happy cruising to all!

Bob

Speaking of taxes and such. We're doing a B2B this September, both 12 days, and both with equal stops in the Hawaiian Islands, but the second cruise which leaves Hawaii and ends in Mexico charges $21.59 per person more in taxes than the first cruise that starts in Canada and ends in Hawaii.

Why?

Happy cruising to all!

Bob

Obviously, Canada should charge an extra $21.59 port charge to put them on an equal footing with Mexico.:cool:

Immigration & customs services the world over have such people. Fortunately the vast majority of officers are not this way all the time. Just at the end of double shifts or first thing Monday morning :D.

Xcellent wasn't mocking Americans, he was directing his comments against a policy that he feels is short-sighted and likely to have an unintended outcome.

Your final comment was anything but civil.

Xcellent wasn't mocking Americans, he was directing his comments against a policy that he feels is short-sighted and likely to have an unintended outcome.

He certainly was off base, here is the passage:

He certainly was off base, here is the passage:

I dunno, it certainly seems to match your views. For example, here's one of your posts in this thread: "Let them hit up who ever they can, this country has had an open check book policy for years. Time to fill the kitty. "

I dunno, it certainly seems to match your views. For example, here's one of your posts in this thread: "Let them hit up who ever they can, this country has had an open check book policy for years. Time to fill the kitty. "

I am not the one griping and damning the fee!!! I am supporting it with an open mind and keeping clear of the ripe imaginations of those who cry misappropriations of the fees based on the passage. The OP is complaining about something that has virtually nothing to do with him and is going above and beyond panic with cries of excessive wait times and finger printing. And he knows this how???

I am not the one griping and damning the fee!!! I am supporting it with an open mind

Which is what he said figuratively when you said he was off-base: "Americans like the idea of foreigners paying a tax."

And he knows this how???

My first post in this thread said how poorly the article was written, with no important information aside from the fact there is a fee and how much. How is it to be collected? (Another poster said when you pay for the ESTA - not sure if that's been confirmed.) When will it be implemented? No answers to date.

With so little information provided, it's equally valid and important to look at varying cases; nobody can claim and it cannot be assumed that it will go smoothly.

Obviously, Canada should charge an extra $21.59 port charge to put them on an equal footing with Mexico.:cool:

That isn't it, because port charges are $189 per person, per cruise. However, taxes are $60.84 per person on the cruise from Vancouver, and $82.43 per person on the cruise from Honolulu.

Happy cruising to all!

Bob

That isn't it, because port charges are $189 per person, per cruise. However, taxes are $60.84 per person on the cruise from Vancouver, and $82.43 per person on the cruise from Honolulu.

So you know the answer?

It sounds like US departure tax is greater than the Canadian one.

Are you kidding me? I actually laughed out loud when I read this....Your comparison is ridiculous. Do you really think that the average Canadian (when all eyes were on us....you fool) sat in their livingrooms saying "I support the engineer or whomever was responsible for a mechanical malfunction because I am Canadian" what a ridiculous comment. You are supporting this tax clearly, how does that relate to a mechanical malfunction, may I ask? It must be wonderful to be such a perfect country! I will pass this comment off, as an uncivilized comment from one member of a country that surely would not be supported by his fellow countrymen. And I do that because being civil is normal for us Canadians...you should try it sometime.

Are you kidding me? I actually laughed out loud when I read this....Your comparison is ridiculous. Do you really think that the average Canadian (when all eyes were on us....you fool) sat in their livingrooms saying "I support the engineer or whomever was responsible for a mechanical malfunction because I am Canadian" what a ridiculous comment. You are supporting this tax clearly, how does that relate to a mechanical malfunction, may I ask? It must be wonderful to be such a perfect country! I will pass this comment off, as an uncivilized comment from one member of a country that surely would not be supported by his fellow countrymen. And I do that because being civil is normal for us Canadians...you should try it sometime.

Sorry Waterlilly that was not directed at you of coarse....but at Finelycruising....

Archived