Transatlantic - Cunard vs Princess

We have done one transatlantic crossing, on the Queen Mary 2. We are now thinking of during a crossing on the Ruby Princess. My husband is worried the Princess ship will not have enough to do on the days at sea. He really enjoyed the lectures on the Queen Mary.

I'm sure Princess will find things to keep you occupied but you have to like sea days because some people find the 5 or 6 straight days of nothing but sailing too much for them.

I have only done transatlantics on the QM2 (7 times) but I did a Hawaii cruise several years ago on the Diamond Princess (total of 10 sea days) and didn't lack for things to do but there is a big difference between an ocean liner (QM2) vs. a cruise ship when you get out in the ocean in a storm. If movement is a problem then you have to take this into consideration.

IF your QM2 transatlantic was a "normal" crossing, you were on the ship 7 days vs 14 for most of the repo transatlantic cruises.

I have done 4 crossings on Cunard and 2 repo cruises-one on Seabourn and one on Celebrity. I love the Cunard product, don't like Princess. But LOVED my Celebrity repo. Booked another X repo for this spring but had to cancel due to business commitments.

You will have to decide whether you want to be on the ship that long. There is plenty to do.

Princess willhave enrichment lecturers onboard, as well as other things to occupy time, such as trivia and jigsaw puzzles. We did the inaugural cruise of Star Princess, Singapore to LA, nine sea days from Osaka to Honolulu, and were well entertained. EM

We have done two TAs on Princess, the last one was on the Ruby March-April 2009. We had a fantastic time. It was 16 days, we had no problem staying occupied with things we enjoyed.

We have also done a TA on HAL and are booked to do a TA on the Queen Victoria in 2011.

If you have enjoyed TAs in the past I am sure you will enjoy the Ruby Princess.

Archived