NYC on the 4th of July??

mickym

THank you so much everyone for all the help!! Yes,I am still very confused but I have some time to sort it all out. Someone just told me the place we are staying is a bad neighborhood?? Should I be concerned about this?

NONE of the hotels around JFK are particularly nice or luxurious. But you will be fine for the night. The neighborhood is very industrial and the hotels/motels in the area are frequently used by NYC authorities as "emergency"public housing. You may encounter a lot of kids/teenagers in your hotel. I wouldn't go walking around at night unless you are very street saavy. There really is no place to walk to anyhow.

You can get into Manhattan via the directions Love the beach posted. You will need to take a cab BACK to the hotel late at night unless you make pre arrangements to have a cab pick you up at the Jamaica subway station to return you to your hotel. You may save a few dollars taking the "fixed" rate taxi from Manhattan to the airport and then the Holiday Inn shuttle to the hotel.

You guys are absolutely amazingly helpful. I appreciate it so much!! Thank you all!!

I just realized you are flying into LGA but your hotel is close to JFK. The chances of being able to see the fireworks close up will be very slim without booking a "package" for private viewing. On the 4th of July, traffic will be a nightmare. About 45 minutes to an hour from LGA to JFK, then at least an hour into Manhattan from JFK. Checking into your hotel and all that entails probably means you won't get into Manhattan until about 7:30-8:00 and that is if you plane is on time. It will be wall to wall people and the good and even not so good viewing spots will be gone.

I just realized you are flying into LGA but your hotel is close to JFK. The chances of being able to see the fireworks close up will be very slim without booking a "package" for private viewing. On the 4th of July, traffic will be a nightmare. About 45 minutes to an hour from LGA to JFK, then at least an hour into Manhattan from JFK. Checking into your hotel and all that entails probably means you won't get into Manhattan until about 7:30-8:00 and that is if you plane is on time. It will be wall to wall people and the good and even not so good viewing spots will be gone.

Yes, I am beginning to see this whole thing as a hopeless cause, unfortunately! The package deals look to be out of my price range considering we have already spend a wad on the European River Cruise that we are flying out for on the 5th. I guess what I will do is keep checking sites and see if anything amazing and shockingly cheap (fat chance) shows up as we get closer to the 4th otherwise I will just hang out in our hotel and look forward to our cruise. The fireworks and Ellis Island in NYC were just going to be an extra bonus but getting in to town so late was just very bad planing on my part. Thank you all once again for trying to make it all work for us!!

Don't totally despair. There's always a Plan B for New York. The day you arrive, check into your hotel and watch the fireworks on TV. Get up early the next morning, store your luggage at the hotel, check out, take the hotel shuttle back to the airport, take Airtrain to the Howard Beach Station, take the "A" train train to Fulton St in downtown Manhattan, and take either the 4 or 5 train south to Bowling Green, which is right near Battery Park and the boats to the SOL or take a cab. Keep track of how much time it all takes. You could probably make a 9 or 10 am boat and leave Ellis Island by 2 pm. Since it's July 4th weekend, prepurchasing SOL tickets is probably recommended.

Suggestions from New Yorkers??? If they're pressed for time, could they call a cab to meet them at Howard Beach (phone numbers???), take them to the hotel to pick up their bags, and on to the JFK terminal?

Other hints from New Yorkers? The subway is now $2.50. Airtrain is $5. The OP's hotel says a cab to the subway is $15 - the way I understand that is that for 2 people, AirTrain is $10 and a cab is $15 and subway is always the $2.50/pp. So for $5 extra, 2 people could take a cab from the hotel to the subway station and skip the hotel shuttle and AirTrain completely? What discounts could they get by putting more $$$ on a metro card.

Ok 138 East, Maybe Ellis Island is still a possibility. I really don't relish the idea of sitting at the airport all day and would love to visit Ellis Island to help set the mood for our trip to Germany where our ancestors originated. However, the main purpose for coming into town a day early was to avoid any chance of missing our plane. We had vouchers to get to NY but that airline only flew into LGA and our cruise line only flew out of JFK which was our first complication. We flew in the same day and missed our ship on an ocean cruise last year so are a little over cautious after that but if this can work safely it would be great!

Where in the country are you flying in from? Do you have a time change? I really think you can do Ellis Island if you get off early enough in the morning. Hopefully, some New Yorkers will respond. Folks go back and forth to Manhattan from JFK all the time. You have the entire day to do this. As I said in an earlier post, I think of a hotel at JFK as a non-place. Even if you don't do Ellis Island, you should get out of there for the day. The subway into Manhattan will be an adventure - Times Square, Rockefeller Center, 5th Avenue are all alternatives. Spend some time with the NY subway maps - print them out. I like http://www.onnyturf.com/subway/ to see where the stations are in relation to the streets, but I don't know how well it prints.

We have been to NYC before. Our son lived in Providence at one time and we took amtrak down while visiting him but didn't make it to Ellis Island so that is the other reason I had that in mind but I loved what we did see of NYC. We didn't do the subway when we were there but have done it in London many years ago when we were younger and more adventurous. We are from Iowa and are on central time.

OK - so you only have an hour time difference. That's doable if you really want to. I would really like to get some feedback from some New Yorkers about Airtrain vs. cab to the subway. Once you're on the subway it's really no big deal. You watch the map and get off where you need to get off. Get in the front car and watch out the front of the train. Or read a book or magazine. No big deal. Folks will help you. If you're not sure just ask. Millions of folks do this - so you can do it too.

Post back when you decide. The "A" train stops at Fulton St. in downtown Manhattan, but it will be a holiday. It's quite a walk to South Ferry (Bowling Green) where the SOL boat leaves. I don't know if there will be cabs. That's why I am thinking you would want to transfer to the 4 or 5 train going 2 stops towards Brooklyn and get off at Bowling . Coming back you should be able to find a cab at South Ferry back to Fulton St. to return to Brooklyn and Queens (make sure you are going in the right direction)

What time is your flight to Germany? I am asking because check-in at JFK is for international flights are usually at least 2 hours and sometimes 3 hours. Plus, the traffic around JFK can be a nightmare also. We don't want you to miss your flight.

Verify the time that you have to be at JFK. If you really want to do Ellis Island, then get yourselves up really early and get to Manhattan so you can get back in time. If the timing seems tight, then do something else in NY. You can always sleep on the plane.

Thank you once again 138east and all of you great and helpful New Yorkers! I will print this all off and take it along for reference and then just play it by ear. All your advise is much appreciated!

Archived