NYC on the 4th of July??

mickym

We will be be arriving in NYC on July 4th at 5:00 pm and staying in a motel close to JFK airport. What is the best way to celebrate Independence Day in NY? Where do they hold the main fire works and what is the best way to get to a good viewing spot and back? Our flight out leaves the next evening at 7:00pm what is the best way for us to see some of the highlights of NY in that short time with our first priority being Ellis Island? Don't want to miss our flight but don't want to spend the day sitting at the airport either. What do we do about luggage while we tour?

We will be be arriving in NYC on July 4th at 5:00 pm and staying in a motel close to JFK airport. What is the best way to celebrate Independence Day in NY? Where do they hold the main fire works and what is the best way to get to a good viewing spot and back? Our flight out leaves the next evening at 7:00pm what is the best way for us to see some of the highlights of NY in that short time with our first priority being Ellis Island? Don't want to miss our flight but don't want to spend the day sitting at the airport either. What do we do about luggage while we tour?

Well, the main fireworks are on barges in NY harbor. There is good viewing from shore [Manhattan and Brooklyn] and from the water [there are several companies that have fireworks cruises]. Do a search on 'Macys Fireworks' and 'new york harbor cruises' for some suggestions.

For both the fireworks and an Ellis Island visit, getting from JFK to the area of interest is an 'exercise left for the student'. This trip can be both time consuming and expensive. You may want to do a web search on car services or individual tour options. [Check the ports of call for NY here on CC]

[back from a quick search] Statue Cruises runs a ferry to Ellis Island from Battery Park in lower Manhattan. On July 5th, the first boat leaves battery park at 8:30 - you would probably need to allow a minimum of 90 minutes for JFK to Battery Park [and probably leave Ellis Island on the 1:50 PM Boat, allow time for dinner, travel to JFK and and check in]

For mass transit options, check the main web site at http://www.mta.info for bus and subway maps.

I have no idea what your options are for luggage storage. In the old days, the airline could check them in early - but post 9/11 that is probably no longer the case. A car service / cab / private tour might be able to accommodate the luggage - but the meter will be running

Thank you so much for your quick reply. It all sounds very complicated and expensive to a farm girl like me! The fourth in NYC sounded like such a good idea at the time. I'm wondering if our motel will hold our luggage for us I guess they will have to give us that answer. Thanks again!

I checked out the cruises but due to the fact that we don't arrive in NYC till 5:00pm on the 4th that doesn't allow us enough time to check in to our hotel and get to the cruise before the last one leaves. What would you recommend as the next best place to watch from and the best way to get from our hotel near JFK to this site?

Have you made a non-cancellable commitment to the Holiday Inn Express in Jamaica by Kennedy airport? What are you paying or is is free? If not, there are reasonable 3*+ hotel choices on Hotwire for $155-$130 (plus tax). You want to do the fireworks one night and go to Ellis Island the next day when you must be at Kennedy airport by 4 or 5 pm. This is going to be difficult to do staying in Jamaica - it will take you AT LEAST an hour by train and/or subway to go back and forth to Jamaica when the public transit is on a holiday schedule on July 4th & 5th. Cabs will be very expensive and not optimal on July 4th because of the fireworks traffic and street closings.

Let's take it step by step - tell us more about your current hotel choice. I know the New Yorkers will chime in and give you good advice. TheOldBear has already told you that you must be on the first boat to Ellis Island in the morning - you should make a reservation to ensure that will happen.

If you are from a small town, and are not used to crowds, you might be intimidated by the huge crowds that gather to see the free fireworks. The fireworks are sponsored by Macys. Who knows if they will sponsor for sure this year? When it gets closer, Macys will have on their website the best vantage points to see the fireworks, and the closest subways/bus stops. The fireworks usually begin at 9:00 p.m.

My hotel is nonrefundable and cost us $86. I booked it because it is close to JFK and has a free airport shuttle. As far as the crowds, I don't see that bothering me as it's a fun change of pace, it's the getting from point A to point B that intimidates me. If it isn't workable to do Ellis Island I can do without that but I don't see us ever having the opportunity to watch the fireworks in NYC again and would love to get the chance to do that since we are going to be there if we can get something figured out that I can be comfortable with.

OK - your hotel is fixed. That's step 1. I agree that an opportunity to see the 4th of July fireworks is not to be missed - I've seen them a number of times over the years and they are truly spectacular. Step 2 is to figure out how to get you into NY as quickly as possible - for that we need the New Yorkers. A current press release indicates that they will be in the Hudson River again, which means that the west side of NY is the best viewing location. Either the subway to 8th Ave or the Long Island RR (LIRR) train to Penn Station would be the best way to get there.

You arrive at 5 pm (Where are you flying in from?). You collect your luggage and go to your hotel by 6:30??? You can go back to the airport to pick up up Airtrain, but that will be time consuming. I'm thinking you should spend the money and take a cab to the Howard Beach Station or to the LIRR Station in Jamaica. Then off to 8th Ave in NY - station to be determined later. You will have to walk from 8th Ave to the river at 12th Ave. Coming back you could take Airtrain all the way back to JFK and the shuttle back to your hotel. Yes, there will be crowds, but they will be fun crowds.

Could someone from NY comment?

OK - your hotel is fixed. That's step 1. I agree that an opportunity to see the 4th of July fireworks is not to be missed - I've seen them a number of times over the years and they are truly spectacular. Step 2 is to figure out how to get you into NY as quickly as possible - for that we need the New Yorkers. A current press release indicates that they will be in the Hudson River again, which means that the west side of NY is the best viewing location. Either the subway to 8th Ave or the Long Island RR (LIRR) train to Penn Station would be the best way to get there.

You arrive at 5 pm (Where are you flying in from?). You collect your luggage and go to your hotel by 6:30??? You can go back to the airport to pick up up Airtrain, but that will be time consuming. I'm thinking you should spend the money and take a cab to the Howard Beach Station or to the LIRR Station in Jamaica. Then off to 8th Ave in NY - station to be determined later. You will have to walk from 8th Ave to the river at 12th Ave. Coming back you could take Airtrain all the way back to JFK and the shuttle back to your hotel. Yes, there will be crowds, but they will be fun crowds.

Could someone from NY comment?

I am extremely grateful for all of your help!!! I would never figure all this out. We are coming in from Omaha, NE. I really hope we can make this work! I should have gotten on here before I booked the hotel but to late for that.

Sorry that things are not working out for you to see everything. Can you let me know who you contacted about the boat trip. We will be in NYC also on the 4th and have no idea how to arrange this. Thanks

Here's a link to some pretty good info.

http://manhattan.about.com/od/eventsandattractions/a/nycjulyfourth.htm

If it was my trip, I would go to the Hudson or the Ganesvoort (off little West 14th St-below the barges but the rooftop bar has SUPER views of all of Manhattan). Not cheap, but food and booze and a private setting. Truly a once in a lifetime experience. Heck, I think I may do that this year-sounds like fun and since I have to be in NYC once a month for business, maybe I can time the trip appropriately.

Thank you - what a great website. Did not realise there would be so much going on as well as the Fireworks. It will be hard to choose which event to attend and the links to the river cruises are exactly what I was looking for.

The breakfast package deal at the Hudson is REALLY special and available for July 4, 2010. Deluxe King room, GUARANTEED admission to the Hudson Bar (one of the hottest places in NYC and fantastic place to see the fireworks), breakfast, 2 drink coupons.

$280.57-SIMPLY a spectacular deal, bookable Right NOW!!! Cheaper than the bar package alone for the fireworks. I just booked it online. I am on hold because I want a river view room. Grab it quick-this won't last long.

Sorry that things are not working out for you to see everything. Can you let me know who you contacted about the boat trip. We will be in NYC also on the 4th and have no idea how to arrange this. Thanks

I just typed it in on Google and found them. Only wish I arrived earlier so I could take advantage of one of them!

Here's a link to some pretty good info.

http://manhattan.about.com/od/eventsandattractions/a/nycjulyfourth.htm

If it was my trip, I would go to the Hudson or the Ganesvoort (off little West 14th St-below the barges but the rooftop bar has SUPER views of all of Manhattan). Not cheap, but food and booze and a private setting. Truly a once in a lifetime experience. Heck, I think I may do that this year-sounds like fun and since I have to be in NYC once a month for business, maybe I can time the trip appropriately.

It looks like this web site is for 2009, how soon do they put out the details for 2010?

I see it says arrive early to get a spot. I wonder where that will put us since early isn't doable for us?

Anyone else have any good tips for transportation for us from our hotel to a good viewing area and back?

It looks like this web site is for 2009, how soon do they put out the details for 2010?

I see it says arrive early to get a spot. I wonder where that will put us since early isn't doable for us?

Anyone else have any good tips for transportation for us from our hotel to a good viewing area and back?

Yes, it is 2009 info. You will probably NOT find good viewing for free by the time you arrive. From a JFK hotel into Manhattan, even via taxi on the 4th, will probably take an hour at least, maybe 1.5 hours. Arrival at 7 or 7:30 will NOT get you a good spot unless you are VERY lucky. There will have been people staking out spots by 4PM. It is the weekend. It will be EXTREMELY crowded on the streets.

The BEST you can do, IMHO, is book one of the "bar" packages NOW before the spots are all gone. The Hudson or the Ganesvoort if you want a couple of free drinks-the Empire State Bldg if you want to pay the same price minus drinks. You can get a taxi from your JFK hotel into the Hudson or Ganesvoort in time (by 8:30PM). No hassle, no trying to find a place to watch, just have your tickets and a "private" viewing spot. NOT cheap, but as you posted, a once in a lifetime experience.

The fireworks are traditionally held on the East River---last year they were on the Hudson to celebrate the 400th anniversary of Henry Hudson's exploration of the Hudson. I haven't been able to find any info that says they will be on the Hudson again this year so I would hesitate to book something until I knew exactly which river ( they are on opposite ends of Manhattan island).

The fireworks are traditionally held on the East River---last year they were on the Hudson to celebrate the 400th anniversary of Henry Hudson's exploration of the Hudson. I haven't been able to find any info that says they will be on the Hudson again this year so I would hesitate to book something until I knew exactly which river ( they are on opposite ends of Manhattan island).

When I called the Hudson hotel yesterday to get a river view room, they verified, as did 138east with the NY Pops website, that the fireworks will be on the Hudson in 2010.

Almost anyplace you can get up high allows viewing from either side of Manhattan. But again, those experiences are not free.

If they are in the same place as last year (between 24th & 50th streets) and you want the least expensive option, you can take a cab to the nearest "E" train subway stop (either Jamaica Center or Sutphin Blvd) and take the "E" train to Manhattan--getting off at any stop between 50th St & 23rd St and walking or hopping on a bus to the West Side, which faces the river. These will be very long blocks. If you get off at 23rd St it is about a 3 block walk--any other stop it will be at least 4 blocks.

I know the subway can be very intimidating for out of towners but this is very direct--just get on the train & get off--no changing trains involved. Then do the reverse to get back to your hotel--just make sure you get on the train going to Queens and not going further downtown in Manhattan. I've enclosed a link to the subway map.

http://www.mta.info/nyct/maps/submap.htm

THank you so much everyone for all the help!! Yes,I am still very confused but I have some time to sort it all out. Someone just told me the place we are staying is a bad neighborhood?? Should I be concerned about this?

You're staying in Queens near JFK airport. It is what it is. Probably not much around. Appearances will be deceiving. In my mind it's just a non-place, not a bad neighborhood. You probably don't want to wander around, but the hotel should be just fine. If you take the hotel shuttle back to the airport to get transportation or take a cab from the hotel to the subway, everything should be fine.

Archived