Balcony cabins on Coral Princess

cruisingbarb

We are thinking of booking a canal cruise on the Coral Princess and are looking at the Emerald deck, BE cabins in the aft section. Has anyone stayed in these and what is your opinion? The balconies look a little bigger than some of the others and they look like they're covered. Any downside to these cabins?

Our other option would be perhaps the BE cabins on the Baja deck or perhaps the BD cabins on the Caribe deck.

Barbara

2010 RCCL Mariner (Mexico)

2009 Star Clipper (Eastern Mediterranean)

2006 Windjammer Mandalay (Windward Islands)

2003 Windjammer Mandalay (Windward Islands)

2000 Windjammer Mandalay (Windward Islands)

1997 Windjammer Mandalay (Windward Islands)

1995 RCCL Sun Viking (So. Caribbean)

1994 RCCL Song of America (So. Caribbean)

1993 Columbia River Cruise

1993 HAL Westerdam (E. Caribbean)

1991 Crown Monarch (W. Caribbean)

1989 RCCL Song of America (W. Caribbean)

1985 RCCL Nordic Prince (E. Caribbean)

BOOK ONE NOW! We've stayed in various Emerald BEs on Coral and Island and take my word for it, they're the best veranda cabins on the ship. The verandas are large and very private, with extra headroom, and completely covered. Book on the port side, because there's a garbage vent on the starboard side of Promenade deck that can often waft a pungent odor across the starboard side BEs on Emerald. Book from 708 forward to completely escape sound from the Universe lounge below, but we've had 710 and barely noticed any noise. A little low vibration one night, but that lounge isn't a late-night venue often. It's a long walk up to the Horizon, but we consider that a diet plan. ;) Awesome cabins. Great value. If you like a private veranda with lots of space, that's your best bet on Coral or Island.

Cheers,

Kirsten

I've stayed in E735 on a cruise to Alaska. I enjoyed this cabin's location because of the door to the aft deck. If I wanted to see something on the port side of the ship I could just step out onto the aft deck (almost like have a gaint balcony all to yourself). We had no problems with the noise from the Universe Lounge, however we do stay up til around midnight most nights. As far as the walk to other areas of the ship, I don't mind the extra exercise. Let's me have all those wonderful desserts!

We just booked the coral on 1/14/2011 a month ago on the Baja Deck. This week three of our 5 cabins asked for changes because the original balconies we selected were not covered. So check out the web page that waterbug1 posted, it made us change our cabins.

Check with your TA for any specials. When we booked it was only a $200.00 Deposit and there was a couple category upgrade to get us to the Baja deck.

Hope to see you on deck.

M

We're on the Coral in November for Panama Canal. We booked a BD on the Caribe Deck on the "bump" because the balcony is larger. When my TA called the line, I had originally wanted starboard, but the cruise line said port would e better when going through the canal.

I can't wait!!!!

We're on the Coral in November for Panama Canal. We booked a BD on the Caribe Deck on the "bump" because the balcony is larger

I'm not sure, but I think the BD balconies on the middle bumpout are actually smaller than the other Caribe balconies. Maybe someone who has stayed there can give you better info.

I was just on the Island in an aft cabin on Emerald. It was completely covered with 4 deck chairs and a table. The cabins are like all the others. It was a long hike to the buffet and theater. I have also had an uncovered balcony - one day it rained, the other very hot.

We're on the Coral in November for Panama Canal. We booked a BD on the Caribe Deck on the "bump" because the balcony is larger. When my TA called the line, I had originally wanted starboard, but the cruise line said port would e better when going through the canal.
If you are going from east to west, the port side is better; if you are going from west to east, starboard is better.

• 6 months later...
If you are going from east to west, the port side is better; if you are going from west to east, starboard is better.

Hi, Pam! We're going through the Canal from LA to FLL on the Coral for the 2011-2012 holidays -- but I've found that half the posters here say portside is best for this direction and the other half say starboard! On canal day, we'll be aft and forward -- but we also like to relax on our mini balcony as much as possible (Caribe deck near stern, with half covering).

Can you tell me the specific reasons you prefer SB for West to East -- views, less hot sun in afternoon, etc.?

THANKS,

Mary-Lou

Hi, Pam! We're going through the Canal from LA to FLL on the Coral for the 2011-2012 holidays -- but I've found that half the posters here say portside is best for this direction and the other half say starboard! On canal day, we'll be aft and forward -- but we also like to relax on our mini balcony as much as possible (Caribe deck near stern, with half covering).

Can you tell me the specific reasons you prefer SB for West to East -- views, less hot sun in afternoon, etc.?

THANKS,

Mary-Lou

Done the Panama canal several times and are booked to do it again September 2011. Listen to Pam she is correct, going west to east book the starboard side if you want to see what is going on during the transit,the portside is o.k if all you want to see is the water and land at the edge of the canal.:rolleyes:

Done the Panama canal several times and are booked to do it again September 2011. Listen to Pam she is correct, going west to east book the starboard side if you want to see what is going on during the transit,the portside is o.k if all you want to see is the water and land at the edge of the canal.:rolleyes:

Thanks, sonnenschein!

Great input all, makes me feel much better about my choice on the Island for 10/11 (we're on the port front bumpout cabin, Baja deck).

We thought about the Aft cabins, but decided we like midships and the ability to see down the front of the ship (as my wife likes to remind me, the canal is only 1 day of 10 :) )

The ship can actually use ether side of the locks, so sometimes it would not matter what side you are on.

• 4 years later...
Waterbug1 - Does the info on the web site you referenced above exist elsewhere now? Thanks!

I can't cut and paste from my phone, but do a search for: "island princess to west coast fll covered balcony guide" and you should find a site where a kind poster captured all the information from that now-abandoned site.

I can't cut and paste from my phone, but do a search for: "island princess to west coast fll covered balcony guide" and you should find a site where a kind poster captured all the information from that now-abandoned site.

Thanks JimmyV and BananaAnna! This is exactly the info we're looking for.

Edited by MickeyGD

Just to clarify, when you say east to west, do you mean Pacific to Atlantic?

East to west is Atlantic to Pacific, but technically that would be north to south. The Pacific entrance is south and the Caribbean/Atlantic entrance is north.

Most of the new construction is east of the current canal, except where they are widening Gaillard Cut. Reality is you are not going to stay in your cabin for the whole transit, so side doesn't matter much for that.

HOWEVER, the afternoon sun can be really fierce and a balcony impossible to sit on on whichever side of the ship is west. Hot enough to burn yourself on the railing or chairs and heats up the cabin significantly. You can avoid some of this by going down to the Promenade Deck (more shade and you can pretty much touch the lock walls from that deck). So - if you want to avoid unbearable heat on your balcony, you want Starboard for Pacific to Atlantic (northbound) and Port if going Atlantic to Pacific.