Book Club on Princess

Details

I believe this is something sort of "new" as we didn't have this a couple years ago on our Princess Cruise. How do they select the books? Is this something worthwhile to do? We should read: "Tuesdays with Morrie" to discuss on the ship. I remember seeing this on TV, but haven't read the book. Have others done this activity and enjoyed it? Thanks in advance....

I believe this is something sort of "new" as we didn't have this a couple years ago on our Princess Cruise. How do they select the books? Is this something worthwhile to do? We should read: "Tuesdays with Morrie" to discuss on the ship. I remember seeing this on TV, but haven't read the book. Have others done this activity and enjoyed it? Thanks in advance....

Princess selects the book, and it is listed in the Patter early in the cruise. Hopefully there are copies onboard so you can read it. On a recent cruise, it was "The Time Traveler's Wife".

I did not participate, so I have no more details to give you.

Another thing you can do is organize a book club on your roll call. Put it out there and see if there is interest.

On our British Isles cruise last year, we read the Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society. It took on a special meaning because we went to Guernsey. One of the members suggested we meet and discuss the book at tea which was lovely.

Another thing you can do is organize a book club on your roll call. Put it out there and see if there is interest.

On our British Isles cruise last year, we read the Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society. It took on a special meaning because we went to Guernsey. One of the members suggested we meet and discuss the book at tea which was lovely.

Exactly. I was there and it was a great idea. We had a terrific time and a very good discussion.

Princess actually tested having a book club several years ago but whoever was picking the books, picked ones that were controversial so they wound up having passengers angry and yelling at each other. Over the past couple of years, they had one on the World Cruise and about a year ago, launched it throughout the fleet, picking non-controversial books. I've attended a couple of them: the first time, there were only three of us; the second, they didn't have enough books in the library so I had to wing it as I'd read the book years ago.

I've done it. In January on the 14 day Hawaii cruise the book was supposed to be the "No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency". I got it at my library at home and brought it along. Early in the cruise they had a brief meeting to decide on a book.:rolleyes: Apparently their box of books of "No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency" had not arrived. They had a few copies of "The Last Lecture", so I borrowed one of those and read it. Towards the end of the cruise they met again. About 8 people showed up. Most had read it months previously, but it was a pretty good discussion.

I think they really need to follow what's posted on the Princess website. They also need a Cruise Staff person to really take responsibility. When they passed out "The Last Lecture", the cruise staff person was a "sweet young thing" who asked us to bring the book back as soon as possible because she hadn't read it yet.:eek: Fortunately the cruise staff who actually showed up to lead the discussion had read the book and was really pretty good.

As a side note, I loved the "No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency" and am on like the 8th book in the series now. I wouldn't have thought to pick it up if I hadn't seen it on the website.;)

As a side note, I loved the "No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency" and am on like the 8th book in the series now. I wouldn't have thought to pick it up if I hadn't seen it on the website.;)

FYI. #9 comes out April 26th. I've read them all too.

Tuesdays with Morrie is a great book. I would recommend reading it regardless of book club or not. Book club would only be a bonus;)!

I've done it. In January on the 14 day Hawaii cruise the book was supposed to be the "No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency". I got it at my library at home and brought it along. Early in the cruise they had a brief meeting to decide on a book.:rolleyes: Apparently their box of books of "No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency" had not arrived. They had a few copies of "The Last Lecture", so I borrowed one of those and read it. Towards the end of the cruise they met again. About 8 people showed up. Most had read it months previously, but it was a pretty good discussion.

I think they really need to follow what's posted on the Princess website. They also need a Cruise Staff person to really take responsibility. When they passed out "The Last Lecture", the cruise staff person was a "sweet young thing" who asked us to bring the book back as soon as possible because she hadn't read it yet.:eek: Fortunately the cruise staff who actually showed up to lead the discussion had read the book and was really pretty good.

That's great that you had a cruise staff to lead the discussion. On the Sapphire they announced a book club in the Patter (not online so no advanced warning) I had read the book (The Quickie by James Patterson) so decided to go to the book club meeting at the end of the cruise. The CD staff rounded up the 6 people who showed up in the lounge and then left us on our own. He hadn't read the book and had to be somewhere else. I was disappointed in their effort, to say the least.

Jackie

• 7 years later...

Haven't done the activity onboard, but I can highly recommend one of their current selections: A Gentleman in Moscow by Amor Towles

https://www.amazon.com/Gentleman-Moscow-Novel-Amor-Towles/dp/0670026190/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1500372781&sr=8-1&keywords=a+gentleman+in+moscow

I see I posted 7 years ago about this. I have gone to more of the Princess Book Club gatherings onboard in the last 7 years. Yes, they still appear to be pretty disorganized. That being said, just last night I put in requests for e-books at my library for all the books for the rest of this year. We have cruises in October and January. I think the Cruise Director needs to assign this in advance to one of the Cruise Staff and follow up that they read the book and lead a discussion. I know they're all busy but how hard could reading one book every 2 months be? Someone mentioned getting a book club together on the Roll Call before boarding. That's a very good idea.

Someone mentioned getting a book club together on the Roll Call before boarding. That's a very good idea.

That happened on a Trans-Atlantic cruise we were on last year.

The book selected was not one of the Princess book club books.