cruising New Zealand... do you actually see New Zealand?

ltslly

We're concerned that if we do a New Zealand cruise, we won't get a feel for New Zealand without spending hundreds and hundreds of dollars on shore excursions. Even then, has anyone driven New Zealand as opposed to cruising the shoreline cities?

Thanks

We have done both, although only driven around North Island and not South. We absolutely loved our cruise, but got to know a lot more about NZ and saw so much more on our driving holiday the year before. On a cruise you can only really see port cities and attractions fairly close by. For example when we docked in Tauranga many people went to Rotorua, but really only spent a few hours there. On our driving holiday we spent 3 days in Rotorua. we also went to Waitomo glow worm caves in North Island which is too far to go to from one of the Ports. These are just examples, and I hear that in South Island the interior of the Island is spectacular but too far to get to from a Port.

We're concerned that if we do a New Zealand cruise, we won't get a feel for New Zealand without spending hundreds and hundreds of dollars on shore excursions.
You won't get a feel for the real New Zealand even if you do spend hundreds and hundreds of dollars on shore excursions.

There's really only one way to see New Zealand properly: Find six to eight weeks (or more) in your diary, and drive it slowly. Doing it in a campervan brings many advantages - and you don't actually have to sleep in the campervan every night!

I've done it both ways. One trip was two weeks on land, including 10 days on the South Island. The other was back-to-back cruises between Sydney and Auckland. You miss a lot of New Zealand on a cruise. Many of the best parts are difficult or impossible to reach from a ship, and you lose the ability to just stop anywhere and take a hike.

It is an easy country to do on your own if you are comfortable driving on the left. While campervans are popular, we opted for renting a car. Each vehicle has its advantages, but I had no experience driving RVs much less through the mountains on the left side of the road. It was one less thing to worry about.

I've done it both ways and loved it every time. I call cruising - smorgesbord (sp?) travel - get a taste of a lot of places I've not visited before and decide where I'd like to return for more time in the future. A lot depends on how much time you have. We found that 10 days on land was not enough since we spent a lot of time packing and unpacking and getting from one place to another (although the scenery was lovely). On the cruise, we spent a dedicated day in many major cities and environs with someone else doing the driving or simply taking local transportation or walking (think Auckland, Wellington and Christchurch). So, in my mind, there is no easy answer. If I had several weeks to spend there - I'd do land; if I wanted to see smaller cities less traveled - I'd do land; if it was my first trip and I wanted to see major cities and attractions - I'd do cruise, especially since the time spent in Fjordland is so spectacular and longer than doing a day trip from Queenstown. JMHO :)

I have been to NZ twice once on a tour, and last year on a cruise. With a cruise you see a different side of NZ, cruising into ports which you wouldn't do if you are driving, and it is very pretty cruising into ports especially Dunedin. The Fjordland is beautiful, I have been to Milford Sound twice now, and both times the weather wasn't good, which you have to expect. It was just amazing to be on a cruise ship and see it, but on a smaller vessel you do get closer. We missed Doubtful Sound but cruised through Dusky Sound (not certain if you can visit as a tourist from the mainland).

I would have to say cruising NZ is brilliant, but to see it all you need to do some land based travel as well. We hired a car at Christchurch and went to Arthurs Pass which was great.

We have done it both ways, to properly experience New Zealand you have to tour by land as has been recommended by everyone above, but having said that its a far more relaxing holiday to cruise it for all the obvious reasons.

If you cant do both pick that which you need/want the most, either complete relaxation, or complete New Zealand (which will take much longer than 2 weeks).

We're concerned that if we do a New Zealand cruise, we won't get a feel for New Zealand without spending hundreds and hundreds of dollars on shore excursions. Even then, has anyone driven New Zealand as opposed to cruising the shoreline cities?

Thanks

Of ourse you see much more on a land tour. Cruise ship excursions only give you a snapshot ... the real New Zealand is done by land, so much more to see and do, AND no time restraints.

Thanks

We took an NZ cruise in November but will definitely do something land based next time. If you do take a cruise, driving on the left is not that difficult and it does expand your options to see areas outside of the port.

Hi there - I am a Kiwi, and we are taking the Diamond Princess Christmas New Year Cruise from Sydney to Auckland, to see NZ from a different aspect (and introduce my SIL & BIL to cruising).

I have to agree totally with all the other posters, you need 4-8 weeks to really see NZ by land. Over the last couple of years we have taken 1 week breaks to different parts of the South Island and it has been fantastic. The proverb, "don't leave town until you have seen the country" is so TRUE.

We have a beautiful country and I am very proud of our image and what we have to offer.

The best compliment I have heard, was yesterday. Gentleman (in his 70's) from a ranch in Colorado, visiting his son in NZ, on this very first trip outside USA. Driving north from Wellington to Auckland, having just completed a whistle stop trip of the South Island -"Son I really think I could live here"! From someone who never wanted to travel.

I am really looking forward to seeing Milford Sound etc as my only memory as a 5 year old is snow, getting stuck in a tunnell, and falling off a ski lift at Queenstown.

And of course I am keen to see Sydney, Melbourne and Hobart as well. (Mum was from Tasmania - and I haven't been there since 1975!)

The Aussie/NZ cruise is really a 'teaser' to get you to really visit our beautiful country and met the wonderful residents!

The Aussie/NZ cruise is really a 'teaser' to get you to really visit our beautiful country and met the wonderful residents!

That's how I felt about our recent cruise on Rhapsody. We had a wonderful time, but barely scratched the surface. We can't take a two-month vacation at this point in our lives, so the cruise gave us a taste of what we'd like to do in the future when we have more time to spend in your fabulous country.:)

I have spent about 5 days on the North Island before a cruise, and I agree with the 70 year old from Colorado. New Zealand is the only country I have visited that I could actually see living in other than the USA that would be relatively stress free. Lovely place, lovely people, and a comfortable fit for most North Americans, IMHO.

jc

We struggled with the same question for our big trip last December- cruise or do it on our own and see more of the country??? In the end, we did not do a cruise even though we have done and loved caribean cruises. We rented a car and drove the countryside, staying in hostels and campgrounds. It was spectacular!! One of the best parts of the trip was driving and not knowing what amazing scenery awaited us around each corner. That way, we could take longer at each place to see more and having our own vehicle we could go wherever we wanted. I would do it again in a second.

• 2 weeks later...

If you are driving around New Zealand and feel like you're missing out on the cruise, Real Journeys do one-night cruises in both Doubtful Sound and Milford Sound. I can highly recommend both cruises - my husband nearly proposed on the Milford Sound cruise, and my sister got married in Doubtful Sound onboard last Easter. The wedding was incredible (right down to the dolphins taking us back to dock in the morning)!

Their website is http://www.realjourneys.co.nz

Archived