Lunch box from the ship?

Wordzz

I just have to share a story about what my cheap...er...frugal sister-in-law did. She, my brother, and their two pre-teen and teen boys were going to be out and about in whatever port for pretty much the whole day, and she knew they'd be missing their "free" lunch aboard ship. Somehow, and I don't know if she got them from the buffet that morning, the night before, or asked their waiter in the dining room the night before, but she got a hold of four steaks. From the buffet, she got breads, fruits and cheese. She made my brother schlep all that stuff around in his backpack, and as it turned out, with the huge breakfast they had (they are all thin people), and the package of cookies they bought in a gift shop, nobody ate any of it. They ended up ditching it in a garbage can 100 yds from the ship as they were returning from their day.

dont they read the patter.....no food to be taken off the ship

In Rio de Janiero a number of years ago, a gentleman from Europe was presented with a very hefty fine by Bazillian Agricultural Agents, for taking a piece of fruit off the ship in his back pack. It was several hundred dollars, and money up front thanks.

An expensive banana.

And...we were told too.

In my experience of Brazil, this almost certainly ended up in someone's back pocket, thank you very much!

I just have to share a story about what my cheap...er...frugal sister-in-law did. She, my brother, and their two pre-teen and teen boys were going to be out and about in whatever port for pretty much the whole day, and she knew they'd be missing their "free" lunch aboard ship. Somehow, and I don't know if she got them from the buffet that morning, the night before, or asked their waiter in the dining room the night before, but she got a hold of four steaks. From the buffet, she got breads, fruits and cheese. She made my brother schlep all that stuff around in his backpack, and as it turned out, with the huge breakfast they had (they are all thin people), and the package of cookies they bought in a gift shop, nobody ate any of it. They ended up ditching it in a garbage can 100 yds from the ship as they were returning from their day.

Frugal is not what I would call these actions, stupid and wasteful are the words that come to mind. IMHO! When I hear or read of someone doing things like this, it just makes my blood boil. Talk about pety and cheap.......... (I guess that was four words to describe this IMHO). ;)

Juneau has several good places to grab a bite to eat. The Red Dog Saloon is fun -tourist-y - and can get extremely crowded around noon. There is a great fish place right by the pier - I think it's called "The Twisted Fish". We ate there on our last trip and it was very, very good. Also check out Tracy's Crab Shack - our traveling companions chose that place & loved it. There are lots of local places for you to drop into and have a nice lunch. The Alaskan beer is very good as well. Enjoy your day, and have a great cruise. :D

Now that I think about it, on my Caribean cruise on the Emerald in October, I don't recall seeing any messages/signs/Patter listings stating not to take food off the ship. The only time it was brought up was when we got back to FLL, with notifications everywhere.

Frugal is not what I would call these actions, stupid and wasteful are the words that come to mind. IMHO! When I hear or read of someone doing things like this, it just makes my blood boil. Talk about pety and cheap.......... (I guess that was four words to describe this IMHO). ;)

Oh, I agree with you... believe me! My sister-in-law is the cheapest wealthy person I've met in my entire life. You'd think she was $1 away from being homeless the way she pinches pennies. When the boys were little, this woman would save the McDonald's they didn't eat and re-heat it for later. I bet those microwaved french fries were tasty little morsels.

Now that I think about it, on my Caribean cruise on the Emerald in October, I don't recall seeing any messages/signs/Patter listings stating not to take food off the ship. The only time it was brought up was when we got back to FLL, with notifications everywhere.

It could have to do with what islands you visited or maybe they just assumed that no one would think of taking lunch with them to the beach or on tour.

I just rechecked my Patters & there is nothing mentioned in any of them about removing food.

dont they read the patter.....no food to be taken off the ship

If I am told not to do it, I will not. If I am not told, I will assume it's ok. No offense, but I won't be taking the word of strangers on a message board.

If I am told not to do it, I will not. If I am not told, I will assume it's ok. No offense, but I won't be taking the word of strangers on a message board.

Many people do not see the notice in the Patter even when it is in there. Thus, they do not consider that they have been "told."

I guarantee the notice is there for every US port, yet you can always see a pile of confiscated fruit in the customs area.

Many people do not see the notice in the Patter even when it is in there. Thus, they do not consider that they have been "told."

I guarantee the notice is there for every US port, yet you can always see a pile of confiscated fruit in the customs area.

Yes but you are still a stranger. :eek:

It all depends on the ports you visit whether this would be allowed or not. But the Cruise line does print in most patters that food is not to be taken off the ship. Ignorance because you didn't look, or see it, will be no excuse when you are imposed a huge fine for doing so. Good Luck! I would make sure to have a large amount of unwanted cash extra with you if you decide to continue this practice no matter which ports you sail to. The day will come when you wish you had paid closer attention. ;)

If there is a sign or a notice in the Patters or an annoucement, I would NOT take food off the ship--I believe in following the rules. But, we have taken food off the ship where there haven't been signs, notices, annoucenments, guards, or dogs. We enjoy a quick picnic in a park and prefer that to taking the time to return to the ship or go to a restaurant.

Archived