Free Shuttle to Pier in Civitavecchia

Cruzer Two

I am considering the train from Rome Fiumicino to Civitavecchia in early December of this year. Can anyone tell me if the shuttle to the pier operates in December and is it reliable? Any other suggestons about riding the train.

Thanks,

Ron aka cruzertwo

The following information was obtained from various sites on the internet.

The Leonardo Express is the most convenient transfer between Rome Leonardo da Vinci (Fiumicino) Airport and Central Rome (Termini Station), where connecting service is available to the railway station in Civitavecchia.

Check the service available by clicking on www.trenitalia.com and entering the origin as Fiumicino Aeroporto; the destination as Roma Termini; then select the date and time. The service is a dedicated airport train and runs nonstop, every 30 minutes.

At Fiumicino, the station is part of the passenger terminal complex. Follow the signs to Stazione FS/Railway Station located 2 floors above the airport terminal arrivals level. Buy a ticket at the FS ticket counter or from one of the machines in the station. A ticket costs 11 Euros. You must validate your ticked by inserting it in the validation machine before you enter the train. Trains are available at 05 minutes and 35 minutes past the hour from 6:00 am to 11:00 pm daily. The trip takes about 3o minutes. All trains arrive on platform 24, in the main area of the station - close to the taxis, metro and left luggage office.

At Roma Termini station connecting train service is available to the railway station in Civitavecchia. EuroStar City non-stop service takes about 40 minutes and the price is 17.50 Euro. Regional service takes about an hour and a half. The price is 4.50 to 7.00 Euro depending on the time of departure. Check these schedules at www.trenitalia.com as well. Enter the departure as Roma Termini; the destination as Civitavecchia; and the time and date of departure.

This Civitavecchia train station is located four blocks from the entrance to the Port of Civitavecchia. A free shuttle service is available at the entrance to the port to transfer passengers to each pier.

It's out of the way, and overkill, to go to Termini only to change trains and go to Civitavecchia.

Instead, use the regional train from the airport to Roma Trastevere and switch there to the regional train to Civitavecchia.

You will not save time taking the "express" trains in this particular situation.

It's out of the way, and overkill, to go to Termini only to change trains and go to Civitavecchia.

Instead, use the regional train from the airport to Roma Trastevere and switch there to the regional train to Civitavecchia.

You will not save time taking the "express" trains in this particular situation.

Thanks very much for the information on the trains. We have been to Rome several times before, so sightseeing in the city is not necessary this trip. If we arrive a day early would you stay at hotel near the Trastevere station or in Civitavecchia. Any hotel suggestions?

Thanks,

Ron

We have been to Rome several times before, so sightseeing in the city is not necessary this trip. If we arrive a day early would you stay at hotel near the Trastevere station or in Civitavecchia. Any hotel suggestions?

Well, I've spent more than 75 days in Rome over the past ten years and have yet to exhaust her possibilities, so I'm completely biased on this subject. Civitavecchia holds no real interest for me, so I would spend my time in Rome.

I don't know of any hotels right at the station in Trastevere (a part residential, part industrial/business area), but fairly nearby I've stayed at two, and have heard great things about a third.

The nearest hotel I've stayed at, about a three to five minute cab ride from the station, is the Hotel Ripa. It's kind of modern (for Rome), but the rooms were large and well appointed. http://www.ripahotel.com/en/index.htm

A little further into Trastevere, I've also stayed several times at a former convent, now run as a hotel, the Santa Francesca Romana: http://www.sfromana.it/english.html This one is considerably less expensive, but also less high end. The breakfast here is great, however, and it's quite close to the historic center of Rome.

The one I've heard great things about, but have not stayed in, is the Hotel San Francesco: http://www.hotelsanfrancesco.net/inglese/hotel.htm

I am considering the train from Rome Fiumicino to Civitavecchia in early December of this year. Can anyone tell me if the shuttle to the pier operates in December and is it reliable? Any other suggestons about riding the train.

Thanks,

Ron aka cruzertwo

The following information was obtained from various sites on the internet.

The Leonardo Express is the most convenient transfer between Rome Leonardo da Vinci (Fiumicino) Airport and Central Rome (Termini Station), where connecting service is available to the railway station in Civitavecchia.

Check the service available by clicking on www.trenitalia.com and entering the origin as Fiumicino Aeroporto; the destination as Roma Termini; then select the date and time. The service is a dedicated airport train and runs nonstop, every 30 minutes.

At Fiumicino, the station is part of the passenger terminal complex. Follow the signs to Stazione FS/Railway Station located 2 floors above the airport terminal arrivals level. Buy a ticket at the FS ticket counter or from one of the machines in the station. A ticket costs 11 Euros. You must validate your ticked by inserting it in the validation machine before you enter the train. Trains are available at 05 minutes and 35 minutes past the hour from 6:00 am to 11:00 pm daily. The trip takes about 3o minutes. All trains arrive on platform 24, in the main area of the station - close to the taxis, metro and left luggage office.

At Roma Termini station connecting train service is available to the railway station in Civitavecchia. EuroStar City non-stop service takes about 40 minutes and the price is 17.50 Euro. Regional service takes about an hour and a half. The price is 4.50 to 7.00 Euro depending on the time of departure. Check these schedules at www.trenitalia.com as well. Enter the departure as Roma Termini; the destination as Civitavecchia; and the time and date of departure.

This Civitavecchia train station is located four blocks from the entrance to the Port of Civitavecchia. A free shuttle service is available at the entrance to the port to transfer passengers to each pier.

The information that you posted in this post is correct; at least it was a year ago.

Given what you have posted, I'd do the Leonardo to Termini, the the next available commuter train (Regionale) to Civitavecchia. We stayed at the Hotel Miramare (seaside views) and will do so again. Easy access to the port (on level ground). Port shuttles are provided by the port (free) and operate whenever their is a cruise ship is in port (year round).

Given what you have posted, I'd do the Leonardo to Termini, the the next available commuter train (Regionale) to Civitavecchia.

I'm curious about why you would go all the way to Termini in order to change trains, vs. Trastevere. Is it simply to get one of the IC or ES City trains, rather than a regional?

Even if it works out and you do manage a connection with one of these trains (there are only three, at 9:45 AM, 12:10 and 2:10), the trip will still take as long or longer than the regional with connections in Trastevere.

If the timing works out and an IC train is important, it would make more sense to take the local train from the airport to Roma Ostiense, and switch to the morning IC train there (the only stop it makes between Roma Termini and Civitavecchia).

The information that you posted in this post is correct; at least it was a year ago.

Given what you have posted, I'd do the Leonardo to Termini, the the next available commuter train (Regionale) to Civitavecchia. We stayed at the Hotel Miramare (seaside views) and will do so again. Easy access to the port (on level ground). Port shuttles are provided by the port (free) and operate whenever their is a cruise ship is in port (year round).

Thanks for the suggestion on the Miramare. I've already booked this hotel, but its nice to have conformation. I does look to be very convenient.

Ron

I'm curious about why you would go all the way to Termini in order to change trains, vs. Trastevere. Is it simply to get one of the IC or ES City trains, rather than a regional?

Even if it works out and you do manage a connection with one of these trains (there are only three, at 9:45 AM, 12:10 and 2:10), the trip will still take as long or longer than the regional with connections in Trastevere.

If the timing works out and an IC train is important, it would make more sense to take the local train from the airport to Roma Ostiense, and switch to the morning IC train there (the only stop it makes between Roma Termini and Civitavecchia).

I agree, it does not make much sense to go via Termini. We will take you advice and go via Trastevere. Can I purchase a ticket at the airport for the entire trip to Civitavecchia or will I need two tickets - one for each portion of the journey.

Thanks again for all the good information.

Ron

Can I purchase a ticket at the airport for the entire trip to Civitavecchia or will I need two tickets - one for each portion of the journey.
One ticket, which you get at the airport station.

I changed trains in Trastevere last month and the elevators were working both at the tracks and at the station, so there was no problem with luggage.

The same was true for the elevator at the track in Ostiense, but I never did find one at the station and the escalator was out of order. However, as I started to climb the stairs with my rolling duffule, a well dressed young woman who looked like she was heading for work came up behind me, picked up the back end of my bag and, without a word, helped me up the stairs.

One ticket, which you get at the airport station.

I changed trains in Trastevere last month and the elevators were working both at the tracks and at the station, so there was no problem with luggage.

The same was true for the elevator at the track in Ostiense, but I never did find one at the station and the escalator was out of order. However, as I started to climb the stairs with my rolling duffule, a well dressed young woman who looked like she was heading for work came up behind me, picked up the back end of my bag and, without a word, helped me up the stairs.

Just curious - why is it necessary to use elevators when changing trains at Trastevere? Do trains arrive and depart on two different levels? How do you know which level your train will depart from.

Thanks again for all the good info.

Ron

They arrive and depart on different tracks, and the only way to get from one to the other is to use the underground passageway. I think Trastevere has four different platforms.

The way to find your platform is to know the final destination of your train and the time it is scheduled to arrive at the Trastevere station, in addition to knowing the actual train number. There are screens on each platform, as well as in the station, that display upcoming trains.

For example, train #2338 that arrives in Trastevere at 10:23 AM and at Civitavecchia at 11:13 would probably read something like #2338 Pisa 10:23, since I think Pisa is the last stop for that particular train.

I agree, it does not make much sense to go via Termini. We will take you advice and go via Trastevere. Can I purchase a ticket at the airport for the entire trip to Civitavecchia or will I need two tickets - one for each portion of the journey.

Thanks again for all the good information.

Ron

FYI- We have done both-- via Trastevere and via the Leonardo to Termini.

Going via Trastevere was much easier( and less expensive)--no long trek from the far track in Termini- nice to have elevator- and we were staying closer to Trastevere as well.

• 3 months later...

Euro Cruiser - Thank you for your wonderful information! I booked a hotel by Termini months ago (which we can still cancel) and it never dawned on me that there would be such a difference in train prices! Additionally, it turns out that we are spending most of our day in Rome in Trastevere, so it will be easier and cheaper to stay there. And since it's so late (we leave on Friday), Hotel Ripa had lowered their room prices! Thanks again!

Our cruise ends in Civitavecchia and we want to take the train from there to Pisa. There is a post saying there is a free shuttle to the pier. Does anyone know if there is also a free shuttle from the pier to the train station in Civitavecchia? Thanks.

Nevadagal

Does anyone know if there is also a free shuttle from the pier to the train station in Civitavecchia?

No, there is not. You may be able to convince a shuttle driver to take you there, I suppose. However, it's an easy four or five block walk, all on sidewalks, with no hills.

Thanks for the info euro cruiser. Another question: Is the four or five block walk from the ship or from the entrance to the pier area? If from the entrance, is there a shuttle of some sort to the entrance area from the ship? I'm wondering about the distance we'd have to walk with our luggage. We were docked in Civitavecchia once before for a day visit and I remember that it was a very industrial/commerical port and it was a long way from the ship to the entrance.

Thanks again. Nevadagal

The walk I described is from the port entrance, where the shuttle buses that go to the ships drop you off/pick you up.

If you make a google map using these coordinates (42.090377,11.790878) you will see the "fortress" (I don't know what else to call it). The shuttle buses pick up and drop off there.

Archived