Past Bermuda cruisers

robinsnest64

Leaving Aug 29 for Bermuda and just wanting a little feedback on past cruises. I have been years ago but flew directly in. We will be leaving Manhattan where we plan to arrive a few days early to enjoy that area since we have never been. Just looking for maybe good and bad aspects and great things to do there.:rolleyes:

Guest LoveMyBoxer

Sailed to Bermuda on many occasions on different cruise lines. There isn't any BAD experience, and we never get bored of going back. We are actually flying there for a week for the first time. It is our favorite island of all time. What are you looking to do?

Leaving Aug 29 for Bermuda and just wanting a little feedback on past cruises. I have been years ago but flew directly in. We will be leaving Manhattan where we plan to arrive a few days early to enjoy that area since we have never been. Just looking for maybe good and bad aspects and great things to do there.:rolleyes:

Lived in Bermuda for 20 years.It has changed radically.;but when inHamilton and if you want the Bermuda(English) pub experience,co to the "Hog Penny" just perpendicular to Front Street(Burnaby St.) close to where the ship docks.

For English clothing,foods etc. go to the English shop,for gorgeous linens and french material go to the english linen shop(All on Front St.) the best beach is John Smith's bay on the south shore(Bus # 3) bu no conveniences Horse shoe bay is the star of course ,(#10/11 bus) all you need there but crowded if other ships in port.All the lovely shopping in Trimminghams and Smiths is gone,but Coopers on Front Street is still there i believe. Walk down tothe Princess for a gorgeous view o the harbour and a tincture on the verandah!

Enjoy that beautiful island!

It's been many, many years since HAL has done this Bermuda run.

It's as if you're taking two different vacations---the sail down and back, and a land vacation while in Bermuda. One nice thing, while docked in Hamilton, is that we could come and go all day and night, as we pleased. I expect it will be the same way now.

Thank you so much for all of your wonderful suggestions. Is the bus the best means of transportation unless we rented a scooter? Also what are your favorite restaurants on the water would be good.

Lived in Bermuda for 20 years.It has changed radically.;but when inHamilton and if you want the Bermuda(English) pub experience,co to the "Hog Penny" just perpendicular to Front Street(Burnaby St.) close to where the ship docks.

For English clothing,foods etc. go to the English shop,for gorgeous linens and french material go to the english linen shop(All on Front St.) the best beach is John Smith's bay on the south shore(Bus # 3) bu no conveniences Horse shoe bay is the star of course ,(#10/11 bus) all you need there but crowded if other ships in port.All the lovely shopping in Trimminghams and Smiths is gone,but Coopers on Front Street is still there i believe. Walk down tothe Princess for a gorgeous view o the harbour and a tincture on the verandah!

Enjoy that beautiful island!

I actually flew out there myself in 94 to visit a friend that lived there at the time, but I know so much has changed. Of course the beach is why I'm going but I am traveling with my husband so I must find a few things he likes. We would like to get away from some of the touristy stuff and enjoy more of the local flair of the island. Any suggestions you have would be appreciated! This is our 1st cruise also.:)

Sailed to Bermuda on many occasions on different cruise lines. There isn't any BAD experience, and we never get bored of going back. We are actually flying there for a week for the first time. It is our favorite island of all time. What are you looking to do?

A bad aspect to Bermuda we encountered more times than was welcome was bad weather. We had three resort stays where it rained almost the whole time we were there. Once was Memorial Day week, once was middle of June and I don't remember the other time it was less than sunny and bright.

On the other hand, the times we cruised there (October), we had great weather and calm seas coming and going.

When it rains in Bermuda, there isn't a whole lot going on...... outside a pub or store.

When Bermuda has beautiful weather, it is truly beautiful but like anywhere, it has its share of rain.

I actually flew out there myself in 94 to visit a friend that lived there at the time, but I know so much has changed. Of course the beach is why I'm going but I am traveling with my husband so I must find a few things he likes. We would like to get away from some of the touristy stuff and enjoy more of the local flair of the island. Any suggestions you have would be appreciated! This is our 1st cruise also.:)

Does your DH like golf or tennis? If so, he'll love Bermuda.

You are right!!:cool:

There are NO bad aspects to Bermuda. Just being on the island is a great thing to do. Friendly people, good shopping, the British atmosphere and culture, a wonderful island tour, beautiful beaches with pink sand. What's not to love?

Thank you so much for all of your wonderful suggestions. Is the bus the best means of transportation unless we rented a scooter? Also what are your favorite restaurants on the water would be good.

We and our scooter almost became hood ornaments on a tourist bus 35 years ago on our honeymoon. :eek:

The Bermuda authorities don't publicize the number of tourist/scooter accidents that occur. Take the bus, instead. They're quite nice.

We and our scooter almost became hood ornaments on a tourist bus 35 years ago on our honeymoon. :eek:

The Bermuda authorities don't publicize the number of tourist/scooter accidents that occur. Take the bus, instead. They're quite nice.

My wife & I rented a scooter ~ 20 years ago. It was fun, but probably won't do it again. Remember, the island is British, so they drive on the left side of the road! Not too bad till you get to a traffic circle. Man, did I hate those traffic circles! The scooter is also quite a challenge when it begins to rain! (That's when we almost "became hood ornaments"!:eek:)

We cruised there in 1973 and may go back later this year.

We also honeymooned in Bermuda, more years ago than I care to say... :rolleyes:

I purchased a tee shirt that read "I Survived a Bermuda Scooter Rental" because, well, I survived a Bermuda scooter rental! I suggest that you watch for sand on the roadway before attempting any turn less than ninety degrees, unless you want to be sprawled on the side of the road picking foliage from your teeth and gathering assorted bits of scooter parts from the immediate surrounding area. Not exactly a Kodak moment, ya know?

Agreed with the other scooter comments - don't rent one unless you're really adept at riding mopeds/motor bikes. The speed limit here is 25 mph but more often than not that speed limit is broken and people are often impatient when sitting on the tail of a motorist on a moped. I have one that i use every day to get to work and love it but would not recommend one unless like I say you are used to using them - and of course, we're left hand drive which can take some getting used to.

The busses are a good way of getting round but when there are a lot of tourists in the area these can fill up very quickly. DON'T travel on a bus during rush hour (8 am - 9.30) it's horrendous and again from 4 - 6 pm, Traffic is very busy then and I wouldn't advise it.

Also good are thet taxis. These can take up to 6 people (they're big taxis) and if you break it down per person works out a really cheap way of getting round - plus you get to enjoy the views sitting down and more often than not you will get a great taxi driver who will delight in pointing out all the different places in Bermuda and perhaps even suggest a few places to go.

If it's raining I would suggest the Aquarium which is great for people of all ages, there's also the Crystal Caves and the Swizzle Inn at Hamilton Parish is a great character pub that's been there for eon's.

We do get quite a bit of rain in Bermuda - but we rely on it as we don't have the plumbing that they do in the States, all our water goes onto our white rooves where it drains down into a tank underneath the house and provides us with all our water needs (washing/toilets/drinking water) - so we don't mind too much if it does rain. Also, when it rains in June/July/August and September it is quite a welcome relief to the hot humid temperatures.

We haven't been to Bermuda in many years, but the last time we were there on a cruise, we walked down to the Hamilton ferry terminal at night and bought tickets. It wasn't a very long ride and was not expensive. The ship all lit up with Hamilton in the background made for a beautiful nighttime photo.

• 2 weeks later...

Robinsnest, my wife and I are also cruising to Bermuda on August 29. This is not the first cruise we have taken to the island; in late October of last year, we were on the Norwegian Dawn. I have cruised to Bermuda with Holland America (including the old Veendam) six times in the 70's and in 1982, and I look forward to spending 4 instead of 3 days (as with NCL) in Bermuda -- I know this itinerary well. I agree with those who stay away from mopeds: bus tickets are also good for ferries, and this transportation is great when you see the island. The only concern I have heard is if one wants to visit Horseshoe Bay: the hill to the main road from the beach is quite steep, and a number have told me they hired taxis just to get up the hill.

You made a good choice, and if you want to talk more, leave a reply.

Ralph and Avia

Robin,

You and your husband may enjoy going to Gibbs Hill Lighthouse, wonderful views as it is on the top of a hill, it is located in Southampton, near Horseshoe Bay and the Fairmont Southampton (former Southampton Princess).

The Bermuda National Trust Museum (if interested in history) is in St. George's.

You can golf at Port Royal or other courses. Of course the beach is there, but you can go deep sea fishing, snorkeling (I recommend Church Bay), scuba diving.

In Hamilton I agree w/ a previous poster about the Hog Penny...traditional English Pub Food - e.g. Bangers and Mash. There is some shopping as well, not as much as there used to be.

If you are interested in High Tea the Fairmont Hamilton (former Hamilton Princess) offers traditional high tea. Details can be found on the Fairmont website.

The Ferry/Bus system is a great way to travel. You can buy multi-day passes around $7/day.

Have a great trip,

Laura

When I was in Bermuda 4.5 years ago' date=' we paid $1 per person to have a van ride up the hill to wait for the bus. It was WELL worth the $1 not to have to trudge up that long steep hill. We were carrying all of our things, and a 9 month old, so it was a life saver![/quote']

When we were there last year, the gentleman had bought a new van and, I believe, upped the price to $2 to ride back to the top of the hill. STILL a bargain and well worth it!

Archived