okay or not okay?

ViolaSwamp

Thank God someone finally caught it ... I've used the reference several times and this is the first time anyone's caught it.

LMAO.. if my DH was on here he would have got it.. but hey remember not everybody watches every show on TV.. just like not everyone that cruises comes to CC :p

curiosity got me, what states allow drinking under 21, and under what circumstances, other than military?

Most of the time the circumstances are: (1) provided by a parent or guardian; (2) consumed in the home or other private setting; or (3) religious services.

These all vary across states. I can't vouch for the accuracy of this map. You would have to check each state's laws for verification.

http://www2.potsdam.edu/hansondj/LegalDrinkingAge.html

http://drinkingage.procon.org/view.resource.php?resourceID=002591

Thank God someone finally caught it ... I've used the reference several times and this is the first time anyone's caught it.

I drop dead sea scroll references all the time over at Cunard and they're picked up right away. :cool:

LMAO.. if my DH was on here he would have got it.. but hey remember not everybody watches every show on TV.. just like not everyone that cruises comes to CC :p

I had just chalked it up to no overlap in the Simpsons' core audience and Carnival's key demographic. ;)

You're going to need more than a Nomex suit but.... YES, as long as she is with you, not rowdy, drunk, out-of-control or making a fool of herself, you will "get away with it"... I also allowed my 19 yr old daughter a couple of drinks on our last cruise. She was always with us when she had it in hand, never alone, never walking the ship, never making a scene etc... It was usually while we were watching the show, at dinner or hanging out by the pool....

I am dodging the spears at this flame throwing debate BUT I love the family pic at the Noles game.

Back at topic to the critics only. Unless the parents have no idea about their kids then what they think is going to rule. They raised them and they probably know more about them than us.

OP asked for opinions...actually by naming the thread "Okay or Not Okay" she really opened herself up for a LOT of opinions...not just advise. (lol)

That wasn't my intent (to gather opinions about the issue) but I can see how the thread title makes it appear that way! OOPS! :o

Most of the time the circumstances are: (1) provided by a parent or guardian; (2) consumed in the home or other private setting; or (3) religious services.

These all vary across states. I can't vouch for the accuracy of this map. You would have to check each state's laws for verification.

http://www2.potsdam.edu/hansondj/LegalDrinkingAge.html

http://drinkingage.procon.org/view.resource.php?resourceID=002591"]

holy crap, i'm getting a better education on CC than i did in public school.:confused:

While technically their rules say you can be thrown off the ship for providing someone under 21 with alcohol, I don't see that happening in this case. I'm sure that clause is there for instances where of-age 'spring breakers' are supplying their buddies with beer who then get all crazy and rowdy... or perhaps the perv stranger trying to liquor up the 18 year olds.

A parent letting their kid have a glass of wine here and there while in their presence is not that big of a deal, and if anything were to happen at all I imagine it would be a "please don't do that again". But, chances are no one will say anything anyways.

I am dodging the spears at this flame throwing debate BUT I love the family pic at the Noles game.

Back at topic to the critics only. Unless the parents have no idea about their kids then what they think is going to rule. They raised them and they probably know more about them than us.

we cruised with elaine last year, and let me tell you, she's not quite right! GO GATORS!!!!!!!;)

I would have thought simpsons and carnival demographics as one in the same, just not everyone comments on it.

Not the obsessive-compulsive HDB type of Simpsons viewer. They tend to scoff at things like sunlight and hairy chest contests while reading Cormac McCarthy novels and drinking PBR and listening to Animal Collective.

Not the obsessive-compulsive HDB type of Simpsons viewer. They tend to scoff at things like sunlight and hairy chest contests while reading Cormac McCarthy novels and drinking PBR and listening to Animal Collective.

Does McCarthy's lack of using quotation marks make you want to punch something? :confused:

My advice is she should allow the 19 yr old to find out she can have a good time on a cruise without the need for alcohol.

It will serve her a long way on future cruises.

The last thing in the world I would spend my money on is alcohol. I don't need it to have a good time.

That wasn't my intent (to gather opinions about the issue) but I can see how the thread title makes it appear that way! OOPS! :o

my girls were 20 last year on our trip and i let them have a few drinks. it has nothing to do with what state we're from, or what country we were in. they were with us on vacation having drinks at dinner or walking the lido with us, not a big deal. actually in my review link, there are pics of them with their drinks.

i do believe in the age 21 drinking laws, but i also know the reality.;)

Courageously going to stick my camels nose under your tent.So, why be so selective in what rules we elect to abide by ? Smoke anywhere you

want to, carry your guns on-board, travel with the swine flu, plug all of

your carry-on appliances in one outlet in your cabin, allow your 18 year

old to smoke pot and balance themselves on the Lido deck rails. or

if you bought passage and agreed to the "rules" honor them:confused: or don't

pack honor or ethics in your suitcase cause you're on vacation and it

really isn't any of my business...unless of course someone barfs on my

shoes and I must make it my business:eek:

While technically their rules say you can be thrown off the ship for providing someone under 21 with alcohol, I don't see that happening in this case. I'm sure that clause is there for instances where of-age 'spring breakers' are supplying their buddies with beer who then get all crazy and rowdy... or perhaps the perv stranger trying to liquor up the 18 year olds.

A parent letting their kid have a glass of wine here and there while in their presence is not that big of a deal, and if anything were to happen at all I imagine it would be a "please don't do that again". But, chances are no one will say anything anyways.

Well stated.

I agree, this is probably the case.

I personally like the Simpsons but LOATHE Cormac McCarthy novels. I wanted to experience an apocalypse myself, just to get out of reading The Road. No Country for Old Men was similarly terrible, IMO. :rolleyes:

:mad:

Lemur...I think we should let Newt in our "love fest". He seems a strong male figure and I'm sure his wife is cool with that.

I got the Simpsons reference right away but I just read this thread.

My Heathens have had drinks on board and I'm here to tell the tale.

Enjoy your vacation.

Everyone likes The Simpsons, not many can quote exact scenes from 1998 verbatum. Do you remember what Mr. Burns told Smithers when Furious George returns all cut up? "Smithers, this monkey is going to need most of your skin."

Oh boy, if I activly used all the brain cells that currently store Simpsons trivia I would really have something..........But obviously I don't have to tell you!

Archived