okay or not okay?

ViolaSwamp

My daughter will be 19 when we set sail on our CCL cruise in October (Liberty, Western Caribbean). She will be sailing with me, my sister, and my mother.

I fully intend to allow my daughter to have a glass of champagne or a cocktail or two while we're on board. She is a good kid, has always made excellent choices in terms of the whole sex/drugs/rock-n-roll thing (far better choices than I made as a teen! :eek: :o) - so I see no problems whatsoever in allowing her to enjoy a beverage or two while on this ship with us (the rest of whom are legal).

Okay - so my questions are:

1) I know she can't buy her own drinks. BUT can I order a drink then discreetly transfer it to her? Definitely not advertising the trade off. But are there Carnival alcohol police that might notice a quiet 19-year old enjoying a beverage with her older female relatives?

2) I am planning on packing four bottles of champagne in our carryons, will the screeners give us a hard time because one of our party is 19? (the remaining ages are 25, 30, and 50 so it's not like a huge party crowd) (yes I adopted my daughter, from my husband's first marriage, which explains the fact I did not have her at age 11! :))

And allow me to clarify that DD looks and acts older than 19! She'll be hanging out with us and I'm sure we'll get sillier than she will after booze. :p None of us intend to get smashed or whatever. But as this cruise is partially a belated graduation gift for her, I would like to reward her excellent choices by allowing her to let down her hair a bit while on vacation.

Any thoughts you have on this are welcome. I have my Nomex suit on in case of flames... :p

HelenLovejoy.jpg

I personally don't care how you handle this with *YOUR* kid. She's yours, right? So you two will suffer any consequences, correct? Yes? No one else here will? So who cares? Y'all handle it between yourselves and have a good time. You know it's against Cruiseline policy, you're determined to do it anyway. Why do you need the validation of messageboar folk?

2) I am planning on packing four bottles of champagne in our carryons, will the screeners give us a hard time because one of our party is 19? (the remaining ages are 25, 30, and 50 so it's not like a huge party crowd) (yes I adopted my daughter, from my husband's first marriage, which explains the fact I did not have her at age 11! :))

Any thoughts you have on this are welcome. I have my Nomex suit on in case of flames... :p

Carnival states 1 bottle of wine or champagne per person in your carry on.. if she is underage I do not think they will allow it as they check your ID at security;) You will atleast get 3 bottles on:)

You are going to get a lot of answers that cite the rules that are written.

This came up a little while back and most agreed, if you just order the drinks they more than likely are not going to card her, if they do she won't have a glass of wine that evening.

But seriously? Just order it for her, I'm sure you'll be fine.

I doubt that they are carding at the screening area, if she has a bottle of wine in her carryon I doubt it will be an issue.

My husband and I both carried on 2 bottle each, no one said anything, but remember it's always a crapshoot, so be willing to lose a bottle or two if they do catch it.

Cheers and have a great time, Carole

My daughter will be 19 when we set sail on our CCL cruise in October (Liberty, Western Caribbean). She will be sailing with me, my sister, and my mother.

I fully intend to allow my daughter to have a glass of champagne or a cocktail or two while we're on board. She is a good kid, has always made excellent choices in terms of the whole sex/drugs/rock-n-roll thing (far better choices than I made as a teen! :eek: :o) - so I see no problems whatsoever in allowing her to enjoy a beverage or two while on this ship with us (the rest of whom are legal).

Okay - so my questions are:

1) I know she can't buy her own drinks. BUT can I order a drink then discreetly transfer it to her? Definitely not advertising the trade off. But are there Carnival alcohol police that might notice a quiet 19-year old enjoying a beverage with her older female relatives?

And allow me to clarify that DD looks and acts older than 19! She'll be hanging out with us and I'm sure we'll get sillier than she will after booze. :p None of us intend to get smashed or whatever. But as this cruise is partially a belated graduation gift for her, I would like to reward her excellent choices by allowing her to let down her hair a bit while on vacation.

You're going to need more than a Nomex suit but.... YES, as long as she is with you, not rowdy, drunk, out-of-control or making a fool of herself, you will "get away with it"... I also allowed my 19 yr old daughter a couple of drinks on our last cruise. She was always with us when she had it in hand, never alone, never walking the ship, never making a scene etc... It was usually while we were watching the show, at dinner or hanging out by the pool....

HelenLovejoy.jpg

I personally don't care how you handle this with *YOUR* kid. She's yours, right? So you two will suffer any consequences, correct? Yes? No one else here will? So who cares? Y'all handle it between yourselves and have a good time. You know it's against Cruiseline policy, you're determined to do it anyway. Why do you need the validation of messageboar folk?

Love the graphic! :D

My question was not to seek validation, but to ensure there are no drink ****s that would put a kibosh on my plan. I'm not sure why they would want to rip themselves off of that drink revenue, from a responsible and well-behaved party of four, but you just never know!

The ironic thing is that there are countries that people give their children wine with their meals from the time they can walk.

It doesn't turn them into raging drunks, I just don't see anything wrong with letting your near adult kids enjoy a glass of wine or a beer now and again, it's not like your encouraging them to drink till they are drunk.

Parents know best MOST of the time.

Cheers

You're going to need more than a Nomex suit but.... YES, as long as she is with you, not rowdy, drunk, out-of-control or making a fool of herself, you will "get away with it"... I also allowed my 19 yr old daughter a couple of drinks on our last cruise. She was always with us when she had it in hand, never alone, never walking the ship, never making a scene etc... It was usually while we were watching the show, at dinner or hanging out by the pool....

Elaine, glad to hear that. Thank you - sounds exactly like the scenario I envision for us! :)

Love the graphic! :D

My question was not to seek validation, but to ensure there are no drink ****s that would put a kibosh on my plan. I'm not sure why they would want to rip themselves off of that drink revenue, from a responsible and well-behaved party of four, but you just never know!

:eek: The four-letter word starting with N - and ending in azi - is not allowed on CC? Who knew?? :rolleyes:

Why are you asking us if its ok to sneak drinks to your child?? Its your child. I assume you do it at home too, or why would you just do it for a cruise.

I dont know why you are asking us if its ok when you know (and even said you will buy it and discretely give it to your daughter).

If you decide to break rules, why ask permission? You know she isnt 21, so its up to you what you do, not up to us.

As long as you are prepared for the worst case senario

Guest acknowledges that the minimum age permitted for the purchase, possession or consumption of alcoholic beverages aboard Carnival’s vessels is twenty-one (21). Guest agrees to supervise all persons under age twenty-one (21) under Guest’s charge to insure that they do not violate this, or any other, shipboard regulation. Guests who attempt to purchase alcohol by using false identification or the Sail & Sign card of a Guest who is twenty-one or older will be deemed in violation of this policy. Any Guest twenty-one or older who attempts to or purchases alcohol for any guest under twenty-one will also be deemed in violation of this policy. Guest agrees that Carnival has the right to disembark any guest who violates this policy and as well as any adults traveling with minors who violate this policy or any other shipboard regulation.

Why are you asking us if its ok to sneak drinks to your child?? Its your child. I assume you do it at home too, or why would you just do it for a cruise.

I dont know why you are asking us if its ok when you know (and even said you will buy it and discretely give it to your daughter).

If you decide to break rules, why ask permission? You know she isnt 21, so its up to you what you do, not up to us.

Please refer to my other response that said I am not looking for validation but rather confirmation that there aren't Drink Gestapo out there looking to cause a scene.

And no, she doesn't drink at home - but then, neither do I, really. It's mostly a travel/special occasion thing. The last time I drank was New Years Eve. The last time she drank was a couple of months ago, she and a few friends took the train into Montreal and had some beers - where it is legal in Canada (18+). So please do not make assumptions.

We did the same as you when ours were of that age. But I will tell you why they get involved. On a recent cruise we had a stop in Calica. Family did a Carnival excursion to an all inclusive in Playa Del Carmen (as did we). Mothers let 18 year imbibe about 15 drinks and he then yaks all over 4 people sitting in front of him in the luxury coach return to the port. Her answer (the mothers) is that it is all part of growing up. They get back on the ship and twenty minutes later he yaks in the main pool which then had to be closed. Moderation is fine, and most people live within moderation, but there are way too many extremes. Not sure I would call it the drink N***'s:cool:

Also be aware that most ports that you will be sailing to has a drinking age of 18.

Personally, I never allowed my son to drink on the ship until he was 21....only because I wanted to teach him respect for the law. For me it was all about the principle of character.

Now, when we were in Mexico and he was 18...he would drink a beer....because their law allows it.

Please refer to my other response that said I am not looking for validation but rather confirmation that there aren't Drink Gestapo out there looking to cause a scene.

Well, don't you think posting a thread like this would alert any alleged "Drink Gestapo" to your premeditated misdeeds? ;)

I don't really see the big deal with this, go ahead and let her have a few. You can judge best if she's ready and can handle it.

Now, the thong, well, I really don't have a problem with that either. (Sorry - taken from another debate!).:D

We did the same as you when ours were of that age. But I will tell you why they get involved. On a recent cruise we had a stop in Calica. Family did a Carnival excursion to an all inclusive in Playa Del Carmen (as did we). Mothers let 18 year imbibe about 15 drinks and he then yaks all over 4 people sitting in front of him in the luxury coach return to the port. Her answer (the mothers) is that it is all part of growing up. They get back on the ship and twenty minutes later he yaks in the main pool which then had to be closed. Moderation is fine, and most people live within moderation, but there are way too many extremes. Not sure I would call it the drink N***'s:cool:

It's people like that with NO common sense that ruin things for the rest of us!! :rolleyes: :mad:

Well, don't you think posting a thread like this would alert any alleged "Drink Gestapo" to your premeditated misdeeds? ;)

Maybe. Not sure they have someone at CCL who's going to look up the info on our sailing from my CC posts, and put us on the Drunken Terrorist Watch List though. ;)

The ironic thing is that there are countries that people give their children wine with their meals from the time they can walk.

It doesn't turn them into raging drunks, I just don't see anything wrong with letting your near adult kids enjoy a glass of wine or a beer now and again, it's not like your encouraging them to drink till they are drunk.

Parents know best MOST of the time.

Cheers

I agree completely. In fact, studies have shown that cultures such as you describe have a lower rate of alcohol abuse.

My take...if your children do not learn from you how to handle life's varying situations, who then shall they learn from?

Here in Texas, it is legal for a parent/legal guardian to purchase an alcoholic beverage for their minor child. :eek: Oh the horrors...parents allowed to make parenting decisions instead of the government!

Sorry, I know this thread is more about Carnival policy, and I am not advocating breaking the rules they establish.

Meekly climbing off my soapbox now. Returning to audience.

And now that I have vented, pass the popcorn, please. :D

Patty in Houston

You won't have a problem with it, at all. I've never noticed any alcohol-security wandering around looking for people to bust, and I've seen PLENTY of people who either clearly had one too many and needed to be cut off or who were underage and parents were letting them drink beers on the pool deck. I'm sure y'all will have fun!

Archived