okay or not okay?

ViolaSwamp

Not to spoil your fun, but I was on the Liberty in February and did see a security officer taking a bottle of beer away from 2 underage kids. One was a boy, 19-20 maybe, the other was his girlfriend, she looked 17-18. The security officer spoke to the adults with them and also informed bar staff (this was on the Lido deck) not to serve them anymore.

Personally, I was glad to see it, although they did intrigue me, as they were with a set of parents (not sure if his or hers, but thinking his), and I just can't understand this line of thinking... but then again, I have always been afraid of breaking the rules... just me, I guess. But really, these kids just seemed too young for drinking.

Your daughter may look old enought to get away with it. I have a daughter who will be 20 next month, but looks like she is 12, so we still get questioned and looks when we try to do anything with an over 16 age limit... go figure genes!

Love the graphic! :D

My question was not to seek validation, but to ensure there are no drink ****s that would put a kibosh on my plan. I'm not sure why they would want to rip themselves off of that drink revenue, from a responsible and well-behaved party of four, but you just never know!

Nope, no drink N-A-Z-I-S roaming the ship.

Also, no character N-A-Z-I-S either, unless you happen to run into a haughty passenger.

We did the same as you when ours were of that age. But I will tell you why they get involved. On a recent cruise we had a stop in Calica. Family did a Carnival excursion to an all inclusive in Playa Del Carmen (as did we). Mothers let 18 year imbibe about 15 drinks and he then yaks all over 4 people sitting in front of him in the luxury coach return to the port. Her answer (the mothers) is that it is all part of growing up. They get back on the ship and twenty minutes later he yaks in the main pool which then had to be closed. Moderation is fine, and most people live within moderation, but there are way too many extremes. Not sure I would call it the drink N***'s:cool:

LOL Jimbo that reminds me of a group that sat near us in the dining room on on of our cruises. This family had a 40something mom (looked like a coooooogrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr) lol , a son and a couple of daughters.

Mom was usually drunk, sometimes crying, other times it was the daughter. But let me tell you there was ALWAYS drama at that table:rolleyes:

Someone always crying, ranting or raving.

My husband always laughed and said "gee honey we should invite your sister with us next time" ROFL

This is why I said USUALLY parents can make good decisions about their kids, some people can't make good decisions period!!!!

I'd trust my son (who is an adult now) to go drinking in Mexico, he's responsible, my sister? pfffffffffffffft she'd be in jail or killed.

Cheers, Carole

Love the graphic! :D

My question was not to seek validation, but to ensure there are no drink ****s that would put a kibosh on my plan. I'm not sure why they would want to rip themselves off of that drink revenue, from a responsible and well-behaved party of four, but you just never know!

They aren't ripping themselves off, they are drawing a line in the sand that is in line with standards in the US and limiting their liability.

Only you can determine how much you and your family are willing to risk. I am a rule follower, so it wouldn't be worth the risk of being put off the ship.

Are you likely to encounter any problems......no, but if you are traveling at a time when there are more under 21's on the ship I do think they step up scrutiny.

And don't be foolish enough to give a wink and a nod to the bar service people who would be obligated to report it if they caught on to what was going on.

Judging from your opening statement in the 2nd paragraph (" fully intend to allow my daughter to have a glass of champagne or a cocktail or two while we're on board. ") your mind is made up already, so Im not sure why you are seeking others opinion.

First let me say, I dont care what you do with "your kid"

~Now~

It is against the Law for her to drink underage.

It is against Carnivals policies for her to drink underage.

~nowthen~

If you are going to the Caribbean or Mexico Legal drinking age is 18.

My daughter will be 21 in July(she doesnt drink)...she had 1/2 a beer in Mexico, because "she could"

~~do what ever you want...but like the other poster said...it is you who will face any reprecusions...~~

(no one really cares if she has a drink or not)

:rolleyes:

Why do people keep spouting off about the "law" and a standard drinking age? There is no standard drinking age of 21 in the United States. Many states (in fact the majority) permit those under 21 to consume alcohol under certain circumstances. The federal National Minimum Drinking Age Act only applies to purchase and public possession. It does not require states to prohibit consumption by those under 21.

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/23/158.html

Also be aware that most ports that you will be sailing to has a drinking age of 18.

Personally, I never allowed my son to drink on the ship until he was 21....only because I wanted to teach him respect for the law. For me it was all about the principle of character.

Now, when we were in Mexico and he was 18...he would drink a beer....because their law allows it.

The 21 y/o drinking age isn't a law. It's Carnival's policy.

Why do people keep spouting off about the "law" and a standard drinking age? There is no standard drinking age of 21 in the United States. Many states (in fact the majority) permit those under 21 to consume alcohol under certain circumstances. The federal National Minimum Drinking Age Act only applies to purchase and public possession. It does not require states to prohibit consumption by those under 21.

Furthermore, in international waters, it's Carnival that makes the law. If they want to have monkey knife fights, it's completely kosher.

The 21 y/o drinking age isn't a law. It's Carnival's policy.

I think people (including me) who say "its the law" are referring to the 'law' where they live.

The OP indicated (or infered) that her daughter is not allowed to drink in their home state.

I understand each state has its own laws...there was a long thread on this several months ago...but by and large its 21.

(not trying to get into a long 'legal' debate...just broad strokes, its generally accepted that 21 is "legal drinking age" with a few exceptions)

Please, pray tell, what is this hitherto unknown leviathan law that applies to all persons across the world, and that makes it illegal for a person under 21 to drink alcohol?

Pah-lllease!

(the OP infered that the child could not drink in their home state, she inplyed that it was not legal for her child to have the drink)

as I stated I dont care if her kid has a drink or not.

HelenLovejoy.jpg

I personally don't care how you handle this with *YOUR* kid. She's yours, right? So you two will suffer any consequences, correct? Yes? No one else here will? So who cares? Y'all handle it between yourselves and have a good time. You know it's against Cruiseline policy, you're determined to do it anyway. Why do you need the validation of messageboar folk?

She is looking for advice not validation.

Oh boy, the rules police are out on this one! I can see them, pounding a gavel on a 1500 page Carnival Guest Policy Handbook.

I'm sure they wont give you any problems. As long as everyone is being safe the cruise line doesn't care. They put those bylaws about 'disembarking' people in there to cover themselves legally. The day a cruise ship disembarks people for ordering drinks will be the day the Caribbean freezes over.

Once I signed the old draft card I figured I could have a drink here or there, even if it wasn't quite 100% legal. Call me crazy.

I understand each state has its own laws...there was a long thread on this several months ago...but by and large its 21.

(not trying to get into a long 'legal' debate...just broad strokes, its generally accepted that 21 is "legal drinking age" with a few exceptions)

Nope. The majority of states allow some type of consumption by those under 21. The exception is an outright ban on consumption.

Furthermore, in international waters, it's Carnival that makes the law. If they want to have monkey knife fights, it's completely kosher.

Kosher monkey knife fights...did not see listed on my latest Capers:eek:

Nope. The majority of states allow some type of consumption by those under 21. The exception is an outright ban on consumption.

Canada is 19 and 18 in one Province..we don't have the allow some type of consumption here.. unless I am completely clueless to it:eek::p

curiosity got me, what states allow drinking under 21, and under what circumstances, other than military?

Simpsons reference!!! Awesome! You and I are probably the only ones who would get it.:) Furious George, he ain't pretty no more...........

JD, Please...

I said "with a few exceptions' some states allow minors to drink if a parent orders the drink and then transfers it to the minor...things like that. (when I was 18 here in Texas they lowered the drinking age to 18, then when I was 20 the law changed back to 21--those of us who were 'already legal to drink'were grandfathered in and could drink at 20 instead of 21)

Like I said...Im not looking to get into a 'which state allow what' debate.

OP asked for opinions...actually by naming the thread "Okay or Not Okay" she really opened herself up for a LOT of opinions...not just advise. (lol)

Simpsons reference!!! Awesome! You and I are probably the only ones who would get it.:) Furious George, he ain't pretty no more...........

Thank God someone finally caught it ... I've used the reference several times and this is the first time anyone's caught it.

Archived