Cancellation insurance for canadians

HAVANA

I just booked a cruise through Celebrity and was told that because I am in Canada that I could not purchase Cancellation Insurance??????

Has anyone heard of this before?

Yes, I was told that. They only want USD. Take it as a blessing! It is too expensive and not worth the money

I always take Access America. It doesn't matter if you're in Canada. Just work out the cost of your trip. Convert it and book it in USD.

Also, it is much less than we pay in Canada.

I just booked a cruise through Celebrity and was told that because I am in Canada that I could not purchase Cancellation Insurance??????

You can get cancellation insurance fron many places in Canada.

Before considering payment in U.S. dollars for Celebrity's cancellation policy, be sure you know what you're getting. There have been other threads on Cruise Critic with comments that some things in Celebrity's policy aren't really suited to Canadians. Can't recall the details, but if you do a search for this topic you will find lots of discussion. RBC Insurance is a well-established and leading provider of travel insurance in Canada.

Also, be careful you don't buy coverage you don't need. I work in the insurance industry... Many Canadians have coverage under their own, or their spouse's group benefits at work. Most decent group benefit plans cover out-of-province and out-of-country emergency medical coverage. Usually the lowest amount covered is $1,000,000 per person, sometimes $2,000,000. Coverage is usually for 30, 60 or 90 days of travel. This type of group coverage should more than cover anything that may happen to you medically so long as it covers the entire period that you're away.

If you have emergency medical coverage through your employer or your spouse's, you likely don't need to purchase a full travel insurance policy. All you may need to purchase is trip cancellation or interruption coverage - the type that reimburses your money if you have to cancel the trip, or reimburses expenses incurred if something happens and you must come home during the trip.

Most TA's or travel insurance providers won't explain any of this to you. Check to see if you have out-of-province/country medical coverage through your employee group benefits. If so, you may want to purchase just the trip cancellation coverage and save yourself some money.

Never had a problem purchasing either medical or cancellation insurance or a package that includes both and also interruption insurance.

That said, we have found in the past that for good solid advise, especially where there are unusual health concerns or say you are traveling for lengthy periods throughout and over different continents, we have preferred to go to an actual insurance provider.

We always book with our Visa Gold which provides cancellation insurance. Health insurance is a different matter and, since we're retired without benefits, we buy a yearly travel insurance plan than covers us for up to 23 days for each trip. We would NEVER travel without cancellation or health coverage; cruises do get cancelled and medical costs outside of Canada are astronomical!

Hi we were told the same thing when we asked as well, I decided to go with RBC, they offered a great value for the prottection, as well I had easy access to all my questions. It's best to go with a provider who has a good reputation, you dont want your vacation ruined by not having proper coverage. My husband took ill in Orlando 2 years ago, and RBC were fantastic to deal with. As a side note we thought our RBC Avion came with "all the coverages" but after investigating they didnt cover "cancelation" so if you do have credit card coverage make sure you read all the fine print. It can be impacted by length of stay,etc. It's best to be informed...

Archived