air tickets matching passports

jeanrtco

Read on flyer website that as of May 15, 2010 air tkts must match EXACTLY the passport name including the middle name or middle initial as it is on the passport. My question is that when I purchased my airline tickets for 7 of us I just used first and last names, does anyone know if this is going to cause me a problem???? I was unsure of whether each person had a middle name or initial so I just went with first and last.

thanks for the help.

jean

Not necessarily the passport name. The tickets must match the name on government photo ID, which could be a driver's license, military ID, etc. Quite a few people use their DL name traveling domestically, and their passport ID internationally.

The other post is correct, they are being fairly lenient as it's phased in. Even fully implemented, it's possible but highly unlikely you'd be denied boarding...but could get some unwelcome secondary screening if you were unlucky enough to have your name similar to a person of interest in the TSA database. That's what exact details are supposed to help avoid.

thanks for the info, I think I will call BA to find out, perhaps since I booked tkts before the middle name/mid initial comes into effect they will let it slide or add middle name/initial to our current tkts

jean

thanks for the info, I think I will call BA to find out, perhaps since I booked tkts before the middle name/mid initial comes into effect they will let it slide or add middle name/initial to our current tkts

jean

If you are using BA I take it you are flying internationally. I'm not familiar with international air travel out of the US, but flying into the US one can use the airline's web site to provide passport information ahead of time. This eliminates any ticket naming issues.

I haven't looked this up again recently, but IIRC it was like this:-

• Secure Flight is being implemented airline by airline.
  • An airline that is brought within Secure Flight will have a start date for the new rules.
  • The new rules will apply to all tickets issued from that date.
  • Tickets issued before the start date will not need to have the names changed, even though travel may be after that airline's start date.

Archived