Booked on FOS for sept 10, should I fly in same day?

What time would you have to wake up that day ;) You don't want to be freaking out the first day of your vacation or need to catch up on missed sleep the second day.

Traveling is so stressful these days and nothing about it is easy. If there was a problem with the plane or it's flight crew or the weather you could be delayed. You really don't want to miss the ship after planning for so long.

###

OMG don't do it.....I've had to do it twice on company trips, and it ain't fun. Much too stressful. Arrive the day before and chill out ,...go to one of the parks, go shopping, etc. Or head out to the Cocoa Beach area, get a room, and head down to the beach. That also gives your luggage a chance to catch up to you, if it gets "lost". Believe me, no luggage on a cruise ain't much fun either. :D

No. My D and SIL are on the FOS this week. Thankfully they flew in a day early. Their scheduled flight was to have left from Detroit at 10:30 a.m. Saturday with one stopover in Charlotte, NC, and arrival time was to be approximately 2:20 p.m. in Orlando. From the getgo they encountered problems. The first plane was delayed in Detroit. The airline then had to get them on another flight with a different airline, this time with a connecting flight in Chicago. All flights were delayed. They arrived in Orlando after 1 a.m. Sunday, and subsequently in Port Canaveral at app. 2 a.m. Sunday.

I know that we have flown in the day of the cruise a few times before, but never again, if at all possible. We will always try to arrive at least the day before.

We are booked on the Freedom on Sept.5th,2010. Is it too risky to fly into orlando the same day? Flight arrives around 11:45. Any experience with this?

You realize that on top of everything else, Orlando is landlocked and an hour drive to the coast?

You never know when a summer thunderstorm is going delay air traffic all over the country....go a day early! I see you are from TN. We missed the Serenade inaugural transatlantic because of such a delay--leaving from BNA (Nashville) in August.:(

An 11:45am arrival time is cutting it close, as you have a long drive to the port from the airport. What time does your ship leave? You also have to wait for your luggage.

I would get the first non-stop flight of the day and have your transfers arranged. We usually do go in the day of and have had no problems but I like to arrive by 9am the morning of departure, at the latest.

If I couldn't get a non-stop, I would go in the day before.

Go a day early and start your vacation in a much more relaxing mood. Very much worth the price of a hotel room. As the others stated, this is prime hurricane season. One never knows. Plus, there can be thunderstorms in other parts of the country that will affect your flight.

2 things:

1. Buy trip insurance.

2. Save yourself worries and fly in the night before and still buy trip insurance.

We thought we were safe with booking our flight 3 days pre-cruise. We got a cancelled flight as a big surprise and had to drive down to Orlando. Gave us plenty of time to get there, but heck, that stinks thinking you won't be able to get on the ship if your flight was cancelled the morning of your cruise.

I have flown in the day of the cruise on a non-stop flight also, and had no problems. I feel much better getting there at least the night before now.

Just got my refund from my trip insurance...our flight was cancelled on Feb 14 for FOS. We paid $70 per person for the insurance with the Berkely Group Insurance. As a result of our flight getting cancelled, we rented a car/gas/lodging/tolls/food and paid $650 to get to the port for 4 of us. Our insurance paid us each back $295. It pays to get the insurance...finally...I got to collect on this and it felt good that I had the insurance :)

We are booked on the Freedom on Sept.5th,2010. Is it too risky to fly into orlando the same day? Flight arrives around 11:45. Any experience with this?

Don't do it. If your plane runs late or your flight is cancelled you are out of luck. Remember also the port is almost an hour from Orlando and the ship will not wait for you!!

I would have to agree with mostly everybody else. Don't do it. You can get a hotel on the beach nearby and get to the ship nice and early and be one of the first ones to board. Like everybody else says, you will be nice and relaxed and excited when you board. The Freedom is a great ship. You will love her.

Something else no one mentioned...you have to be checked in & ONBOARD 90 mins. prior to sailing...no exceptions...if your flight is delayed..your luggage or your ride is late there is a good chance you will not make your sailing...and I can't imagine anything much worse than rushing to the port..seeing your ship waiting & being told by security you are to late...

If you are able to do so, I would definitely fly in the day before.

The peace of mind that comes from arriving a day early is well worth the additional costs of an extra nights hotel. Plus you get to be well rested to start your cruise :)

Archived