Self Tanning Lotions

TnMama

I did a search on this subject,but most were about tanning booths and spray tans.

Yesterday I bought some Banana Boat self adjusting tanning lotion. I saw a fellow Walmart shopper looking,so I asked her what she used. She loves the Banana Boat goo,so I thought I would try it too. PLUS, on my Nat light budget, it was the cheaper of all of them. I repel light,so therefore I dont tan,and I dont live close to a spray tan place.

So what kind do yall use?

When I use it (it's a pain for more than a couple days!) I use Jergens FOAM...doesn't have that long-lasting odor that the lotion has, and is relatively easy to apply...doesn't streak. You still have to take care around "bony" areas...elbows, wrists, ankles, toes....that you don't get too much there, or it gets 'dirty" looking...but that's true of ALL self-tanners.

Yes,Ma'am, on this forum. I saw that thread,but since it was older,I decided to repost the ?. hope I dont get in trouble for that.:o

No, you won't get in trouble.;)

After following or reading most of the threads on self-tanners, it seems to me that a good reasonably priced one that is mentioned all the time is good ol' Jergens. IMO, the high priced ones do not offer a proportionately better result.:) I use Jergens and have also used some store brands that worked well also.

You'll find almost as many answers as you will posters. I have used Jergens and it's okay, but my mostest favorite is Fake Bake. It comes

in a frighteningly dark cream :eek: that allows you to see where you've missed. You let it dry and then shower. In 12 hours you have a very natural looking tan.

The other - which is easier to use, especially for touch ups on the cruise

are Tan Towels.

Enjoy!

MagnoliaBlossom~ LOVE your handle! Im a MS girl,with a magnolia tattoo.

I used the BB stuff yesterday. works fine by me. I glow in the dark,so the tint is not too drastic. Thanks for the tips on the elbows and stuff. the tube said the same thing. My heel did look a lil dirty,but that could have been from playing outside yesterday.:D

I use Nivea shave minimizing gradual tan lotion. I like it. it doesn't smell too funky, and is very gradual. And, maybe it is just my imagination :rolleyes: buuuut, I do think it slightly minimizes the need to shave. it's funny you ask, I've been slathering it on for my cruise next week - my legs are super pale!

There are some threads (outside of CC) about nothing but self tanners and one of the things I learned there is to put a water based hadn lotion (the actually named which ones were best but I've forgotten) over the elbows, knees, etc prior to starting with yout self tanning product. The helps reduce the amount that is absorbed - I guess the cells little tummies are already full of lotion and pass on the tanner.

I forgot to clarify with the Fake Bake - when you shower, the spooky dark stuff rinses off. Just didn't want you to freak out when you opened the tube. It really is a terrific product though.

I'm actually from Louisiana and the Magnolia is our state flower (but you knew that being from MS and all). I remember after college I'd moved to Pennsylvania for a couple years and was driving home in June. Just as I was crossing the bridge into Louisiana there was a home place with a zillion magnolias in full bloom and the sweet lemony scent filled my whole little car (I didn't have a/c) as if to say, "welcome, home little one"

It was such a little moment in time and funny how it still sticks in my mind

33 :eek: years later.

I just got NIVIA , with self tanner, you can get for fair skin or reg to darker skin. I used it every other day for 4 days now and it didn't shower off or leave streaks.

So far so good and I normally use Nivia for my moisturizer any way, feels a little different going on then regular cream.

I take a bottle of my usual lotion and add self tanner to it. Shake well and continue to use lotion as usual. Voila. Gradual tan lotion. I have found less streaking and missed areas that way...

I think thats a good idea! The Banana Boat stuff Im using is working well. I like the smell of it too. and I agree about not having to shave as often either. But the reality is, its been winter,and Im a married woman,so DH is lucky if I shave my legs twice a month in winter. Mine does not grow fast in winter. Anyway, off topic,lol.

I like the stuff Im using b/c Im so pale that going from glowing in the dark to sun tanned godess would look too fake on me. May sound like an oxymoron,but I think yall know what I mean.I think Id just look dirty,:) Its giving me tint,which is all I pretty much wanted in the first place. Im careful on my legs and arms, Ive used it in different amounts on my tummy where i can see how it works. Less is more....

Archived