Specialty restaurant dress?

scdreamer

We're sailing on Millennium (7-day Alaska) this summer, and have a week-long trip to the Queen Charlotte Islands just before the cruise. We'll be taking part in a lot of outdoor activity - hiking, fishing, kayaking, etc. on the islands, and are trying to figure out our packing for both adventures.

We've pretty much decided that my husband will not be bringing along a suit, so we will skip the formal nights in the MDR, but he plans to have with him a sports coat, and can pack a tie. He'll pack nice slacks and a few button-down shirts. (He has already thanked me more than a few times for telling him no need for a suit :))

Will we be able to eat in any of the specialty restaurants without his wearing a suit? Is a tie required?

We're sailing on Millennium (7-day Alaska) this summer, and have a week-long trip to the Queen Charlotte Islands just before the cruise. We'll be taking part in a lot of outdoor activity - hiking, fishing, kayaking, etc. on the islands, and are trying to figure out our packing for both adventures.

We've pretty much decided that my husband will not be bringing along a suit, so we will skip the formal nights in the MDR, but he plans to have with him a sports coat, and can pack a tie. He'll pack nice slacks and a few button-down shirts. (He has already thanked me more than a few times for telling him no need for a suit :))

Will we be able to eat in any of the specialty restaurants without his wearing a suit? Is a tie required?

Hi,:) Millennium only has 1 specialty restaurant, Oceanliners.

Dress code in there follows the main dining room. 5 smart casual nights and 2 formal nights.

They also have 1 "Alternative Dining area" upstairs near the buffet.

You are served on linen, by wait staff in training with a more limited

menu than the dining room. Atmosphere is casual and they suggest

a 2.00 tip per person and no jacket and tie are required.

There is also a Pasta/pizza station and sushi too.

As far as Oceanliners? If you want to eat there on formal nights,

I am guessing they will allow hubby with jacket and tie, and slacks;)

If you don't eat on a Formal night you will be dressed just fine. Even though some people want to dress up in the alternative restaurants even on a casual night, I never do. In fact, I did not even wear a jacket.

The specialty restaurant follows the regular dress code. If the night is "smart casual" then that is allowed in the restaurant. On a Formal night however, you will be required to wear a suit/tux.

Sounds like this will be one of those questions that everyone has an opinion and nobody has an answer for certain. I do not doubt the answers given by others above, as we all know - ask a question to five celebrity employees and you will never get the same answer twice, so why add to the confusion, right?

I specifically asked in the past (see my list below) and was told that the specialty restaurants are always "smart casual and above". I was told that this helped with sales (gives you a place to go when you don't want to tux it up).

So, let the arguing continue......

I specifically asked in the past (see my list below) and was told that the specialty restaurants are always "smart casual and above". I was told that this helped with sales (gives you a place to go when you don't want to tux it up).

Someone posted a daily recently that stated exactly this. Every night is "smart casual and above". Just relaying what I saw.

Sorry that I cannot be one of those that let's dear hubby off of the hook. We always eat in the Specialty Dining Room at least twice during our cruises, my DH ALWAYS wears a dark suit when we dine there, or a tux if it is formal night. Neither of us can recall seeing anyone seated near us that did not, at least, have a suit on. The "Specialty Dining Room" are actually a more formal place to dine than the MDR, in our opinion.

If he can pack a sport coat, nice trousers, nice shirts and find a place for a tie. . . . why not leave out the sport coat, swap one of the pair of trousers and pack a suit?

You did not mention what you are packing. I am sure you can find a great dress that is made of a material that you can roll up and then have it pressed on the ship. David's Bridal web site has a number of great dresses on sale, very good prices, lots of sizes and colors. If you have not purchased from them before they sell a very nice product! Well made! I have a number of dresses from them and I know a number of women that have done their wedding parties through them. I do not know anyone that has had a problem with their dresses.

Please don't sail Celebrity and miss out on the formal nights and the great specialty dining experience. They are such fun - get the whole experience! I don't think that you will regret it.

What ever you decide I hope that you have a GREAT vacation!

DH wears a tux or suit on formal nights, and usually a sports jacket to the specialty restaurants. That being said.....dress codes are neither enforced or adhered to by many. While I don't advocate that, the truth is that there will be many men in sports jackets, no tie, enjoying formal night in the main restaurant while you needlessly relegate yourselves to a casual dining venue. As for the specialty restaurant, in the Tuscan Grille on Equinox, the 40-something dad of the family seated next to us was wearing torn and faded jeans, an untucked shirt-tailed shirt that looked like he had slept in it for a few days, and flip flops.

Thank you all for the information ... husband will likely not bring a suit.

We will be trying to utilize the space we have in our baggage as efficiently as possible, as we will be on the go most of the time on the Queen Charlotte Islands. In addition, we will be taking a smaller plane back and forth from Vancouver before our cruise, and that will impact our baggage allowance.

We would never wish to not adhere to the dress code on-board. If formal wear is required in the specialty restaurant on the "formal nights," we'll dine elsewhere.

I totally agree with the idea of following the dress code - although we are not overly formal, we appreciate the ambiance created by adhering to whatever the evening's attire is expected to be. We cruised once on NCL, made reservations in their specialty restaurant to celebrate our anniversary, and were seated next to a group of four who looked as if they had picked out their grungy sweatshirts and ball caps in order to clean out their garage. We did not like that experience at all.

Sounds like this will be one of those questions that everyone has an opinion and nobody has an answer for certain. I do not doubt the answers given by others above, as we all know - ask a question to five celebrity employees and you will never get the same answer twice, so why add to the confusion, right?

You are correct, it is unfortunate but another area where Celebrity issues rules on their website and then does not follow them. They should either scrap these rules or enforce them. The website clearly states the Specialty restaurant dress code is the same as the MDR dress code..

What is the dress code for the specialty restaurants?

Subject: Dress Code

The dress code in Celebrity's specialty restaurants is the same as the evening dress code in the main restaurant. Please refer to the dress schedule within the "Onboard Experience" section of this website to determine the appropriate attire for each cruise length.

We were on Equinox in February and we opted away from the fancy gowns & tux due to luggage restrictions this time. I wore black palazzo pants with formal tops & my DH wore a dark mock turtle with black slacks & a black & white "patterned" sport coat to Murano's the 1st formal night. No one even gave him a look, he looked better than some I saw with a tie in a suit. We also were seated in the private wine cellar that evening.

Archived