Summit- I am confused???????

brockmom

Hello all...I am reading/ seeing conflicting remarks about the Summit. Forget where all the info was from which thread....but I know southwest showed this ship as refurbished...then saw a thread saying it was a mess....the book I think showed dates before april /10 and after ....so I thought if we sail on her this November ..it will be new...

what's the scoop....sounds like most people love the ship...so I don't get it....thanks Brockmom

Hi I understand how you feel. I will say this though, everyone sees things differently and from a different perspective. I just post on another thead and said it really amounts more to your attitude as to how much fun or enjoyment you will get from your cruise. A couple of years ago we sailed on an older ship and I went NUTS reading the conflicting reviews of the Sun Princess. Many people had that ship ready for the scrap yard and others loved it. I wondered how the opinions could vary THAT much. well we took the trip with several family and friends and we ALL said afterwards.....the ship was BEAUTIFUL ....DESPITE some worn areas. The trip was a highlite of all our lives DESPITE the fact we missed one port, had sewage back up into our shower ( it was taken care of immediately)had one of the engines stall and leave us dead in the water for hours ( we were ALL given a nice monetary compensation) and we traveled in an inside room which to some is the most horrifying experience they can imagine ( it was great) so like I've noted before it really matters more about the attitude you take with you than anything else. I do understand though wanting a clean environment and for things to be in good shape. Please though try to take the Horrible posts with a grain of salt. We had alot of things on the Sun Princess we could have screamed about and yet because we kept a good attitude and CHOSE to have a great time.....we have NOTHING but happy fond memories of that trip. Keep gathering information but try not to let it drive you crazy the way it drove me nuts...in the end all the worry about whether or not we could survive in small inside cabin and what shape the vessel was in etc was all for nothing. We were on vacation seeing the most beautiful parts of the world, something most people in this world will never get to do.

Hello all...I am reading/ seeing conflicting remarks about the Summit. Forget where all the info was from which thread....but I know southwest showed this ship as refurbished...then saw a thread saying it was a mess....the book I think showed dates before april /10 and after ....so I thought if we sail on her this November ..it will be new...

what's the scoop....sounds like most people love the ship...so I don't get it....thanks Brockmom

My wife and I are sailing on the 3rd of April on the Summit. It's like this, some people like to lease their cars so they can have a new car every 3 years. Some people keep their cars and maintain them so they last for decades. Ask yourself this, if someone gave you a 10 year old BMW with some wear and tear, would you refuse it even though the engine sounded just as sweet as the day it was made or that the leather is in perfect condition? I wouldn't.

Same thing with ships. Can you imagine how expensive cruises would be if they scrapped each boat after 5 years because of wear and tear? We'd be paying ten times the fare! I guess you can use an 80/20 rule. If 80% of the ship is acceptable and 20% isn't, is it still worth it?

We returned from the Summitt week before last and had a great cruise. We thought that things looked great with minimal wear and tear - about what one would see in a hotel that is 10 years old. Enjoy!

Only thing I'll say about wear & tear on ships is I don't go on vacation to look for it! I'm not the guy who has to fix it, so I don't look for it. I go on a cruise to get away from worrying about things that need fixing. Even on a brand new ship, if you think everything is going to be perfect, you are setting yourself up for disappointment. I say go with the flow, don't sweat the small stuff & have a great cruise.

I agree!!! The Summit is a wonderful, beautiful ship and the crew members are outstanding, some of the best we have ever had. We also loved the food. I read a lot of negative reviews before I sailed her in December as well. Did I get worried? Not one bit!! I went through the martini bar so many times and I never once saw a bump in the carpet everyone talks about. I am not on vacation to try and find something "wrong" to complain about. I go on vacation to have a good time and to get away from the stress and worry of everyday life. Every trip will be what you make of it, so go enjoy it!

adelphi_sky,

On a BMW yes I would be one to not want it.

They are the same as small boats are a money pit...expensive to run and/or maintain. Status is not my caragain...:rolleyes:

I wonder if you ever looked at renting a vehicle? It is actually less than a closed end and/or open lease...

That way since you want things your able to change your vehicle each day each week each quarter...etc.. of=r even a few times a day if you deem it needed...

I reside near BMW America HQ and see so many MFG Plates... Mercedes USA is here too, as was Volvo and Jaguar.

Being near the USA's Major Ports bothe cargo and Cruise is a benefit.

Yes Celebrity part of RCL :NYSE do use a lot older ships here to keep profits and revenues up..but penny wise and pound foolish is not to me a good trait..

Being on any US Standards SAFE SHIP is a nice trip .

Ships, planes trains and all have a life expectancy and best used by date..

I do like quality over quantity. Being here does have another distinct advantage too.

Being able to compare the ships then book the trips...

The Greater New York City is one of if not the most fiercest dollar markets in the World. Yes i do want my Best Cost Basis..in all things!;) Why don't you?

My wife and I are sailing on the 3rd of April on the Summit. It's like this, some people like to lease their cars so they can have a new car every 3 years. Some people keep their cars and maintain them so they last for decades. Ask yourself this, if someone gave you a 10 year old BMW with some wear and tear, would you refuse it even though the engine sounded just as sweet as the day it was made or that the leather is in perfect condition? I wouldn't.

Same thing with ships. Can you imagine how expensive cruises would be if they scrapped each boat after 5 years because of wear and tear? We'd be paying ten times the fare! I guess you can use an 80/20 rule. If 80% of the ship is acceptable and 20% isn't, is it still worth it?

Was off Summitt in Early January.

Most good some not so good.

Carpets in the stairwell area were a bit worn - to be expected.

But

The carpet seams were coming apart in a lot of places - not to be expected.

Seweage smell in the central stair case area several times - not to be expected.

Other than that and a few minor things ship was in good condition.

Read the review section for more information.

Are cruises on the older ships less money than the newer ones?

Last Sept. we went on HAL-Westerdam, and all I was hearing before I left was how old it has become, and all the updating it needed. I was fearful to say the least, but it was a wonderful ship, and sure it was showing wear, but that did not take away from the trip. I was also on EOS , and some people complained that ship was old, again didn't bother me. The only time I think I was bothered by an older ship was NCL Spirit. And that was more about our room just never seemed clean.

Are cruises on the older ships less money than the newer ones?

I'm assuming because they don't have all the newer amenities that the newer ships have. If both were priced the same, I imagine people always go for the newer ships. Though I've read were some people enjoy some of the older ships. My question is, does every new ship have to be a mega ship? Are there any new ships that hold 2000 or fewer passengers?

From a nautical perspective, a 10 year-old ship is not an old ship. They are built to last 40 years. Also, they are periodically updated with new technology on the bridge and elsewhere.

The cruising public, however, tends to view any ship older than five years as old. Those ships do not have all the features of the ships that are coming out of the shipyards and thus become more difficult to fill with passengers. That is why ships that still have plenty of life in them are often sent off to the secondary market.

A few ships have come out recently that have less than 2,000 passengers. However, they were built for the luxury end of the industry. The general thinking is that the economics do not make sense for building small mass market ships - - the cost of building and operating such ships is viewed as more than what a cruise line could recover with mass market ticket prices.

Archived