1-star Mariner before first cruise?

Infi

I will be sailing on my first HAL cruise on Saturday. So, I was surprised when I printed out my boarding pass and found that I had the one star Mariner icon next to my name. There was no icon on my DD's express docs, just mine. According to the HAL site, "Every guest that joins us for any Holland America Line cruise returns as a Star Mariner" but since I haven't completed an HAL cruise yet, I'm confused. Is this a mistake, or do all first timers get the one star icon by default?

It is because you have cruised on Carnival, Princess & Cunard before & those companies forwarded the info to HAL.

Have a wonderful cruise !

i'm not sure that's the case. i have well over 150 days, if i count all the lines i've cruised with under the CCL umbrella yet i am only a 1-star also (which would be true for only my HAL cruises of 20 days).

I am in the same situation as Infi. I have never cruised HAL before but for my upcoming Oosterdam cruise I am a 1 star mariner. I have done many recent Carnival & Princess cruises. As for my travel companions ( mom, sister & aunt) for the upcoming trip they have also done a few Carnival & Princess cruises in the past but they were not recent cruises. None of them received the 1 star mariner status. I gave HAL a call yesterday & was told it was because their names can not be found in the HAL system because Princess & Carnival did not send their info to them.

In any case, I do not have a 1 star mariner # yet. All I have is a VIP # right now. After I complete the upcoming cruise, my VIP # becomes my 1 star mariner #.

i'm not sure that's the case. i have well over 150 days, if i count all the lines i've cruised with under the CCL umbrella yet i am only a 1-star also (which would be true for only my HAL cruises of 20 days).

The only status you get is past guest...number of days or cruises are not counted. I had a Mariner number before I ever cruise HAL. EM

What does the star status give you?

1starMariner.gifStar Mariner

Every guest that joins us for any Holland America Line cruise returns as a Star Mariner. It’s our way of saying Welcome Back, and you’ll start feeling the special treatment as soon as you come aboard. Star Mariners receive:

• Welcome Back Embarkation Lunch in the dining room (from 12:00pm to 1:30pm) as well as a complimentary Mariner Champagne Brunch
  • A special collectible gift presented to you on board
  • A free subscription to the print or digital* version of Mariner magazine
  • Offers to special sailings hosted by a representative of the Mariner Society
  • Special offers on select sailings
  • A 50% cruise fare discount on the 3rd/4th guest staying in your stateroom on select sailings

2starMariner.gif2-Star Mariner

Collect 30 Cruise Day credits and you’ll be elevated to a 2-Star Mariner, which entitles you to:

• Welcome Back Embarkation Lunch in the dining room (from 12:00pm to 1:30pm) as well as a complimentary Mariner Champagne Brunch
  • A collectible gift presented to you on board
  • A complimentary ship photo
  • A 10% discount on Holland America Line logo clothing sold in onboard signature shops (may exclude already discounted merchandise)
  • A 15% discount on merchandise from www.shophollandamerica.com
  • An annual cruise planner
  • A 50% cruise fare discount on the 3rd/4th guest staying in your stateroom on select sailings
  • A special recognition lapel pin

3starMariner.gif3-Star Mariner

When you collect 75 Cruise Day credits you become a 3-Star Mariner, which means you’ll receive:

• A complimentary photo of the ship
  • A 25% discount on specialty restaurant surcharges, wine packages†, beverages in the Explorations Café† and all mini-bar purchases
  • A 10% discount on Holland America Line logo clothing sold in onboard shops (may exclude already discounted merchandise)
  • Discounts on select treatments from the Greenhouse Spa & Salon
  • Advance information on new itineraries*
  • A waiver of air deviation fees†

4starMariner.gif4-Star Mariner

Guests who collect 200 or more Cruise Day credits join our elite group of 4-Star Mariners. These premier travelers will receive all the following benefits:

• A 50% discount on specialty restaurant surcharges, wine packages†, beverages in the Explorations Café† and all mini-bar purchases
  • A complimentary winetasting session
  • Complimentary laundry and pressing services†
  • A 15% discount on Holland America Line logo clothing sold in onboard shops (may exclude already discounted merchandise)
  • Discount on select spa treatments from the Greenhouse Spa & Salon
  • Priority disembarkation†
  • Priority tender†
  • Priority check-in†
  • Early notification of shore excursions available for prebooking*
  • A complimentary photo of the ship
  • A complimentary one-year subscription to Travel + Leisure or Food & Wine magazine (one per household)
  • Advance notice of new itineraries*
  • Waiver of air deviation fees†
  • Complimentary cruise fare on 3rd/4th guest in your stateroom on select sailings

Could it be that you have already purchased things through Ships Services? Or Excursions through HAL??

Joanie

That wouldn't do it, as those "cruise credit" days don't get posted until 7-10 days after the cruise.

We were on the Oct/Nov Zuiderdam cruises and did not get a Cruise Planner -- we are 4 star.

What's a Cruise Planner?

It's a brochure that shows all the cruise itineraries for all the ships for an entire year -- doesn't go into detail -- but at least you can look at everything -- it's broken down into categories like Caribbean, Europe, etc.

We used to get them all the time on the other ships -- even ones where we knew that HAL had already changed itineries for a coupleof ships.

To answer the questions: no, I haven't purchased any shore excursions or anything beforehand. And although I have cruised on other Carnival-owned lines, I know that wouldn't do it, as those cruises don't count for each individual line.

I'm thinking this is just a default icon, except for the fact that DD didn't have one on hers. :confused: Any other ideas?

Following is from the Mariner Society Terms and Conditions (bold is mine):

To qualify as a member of the Program, you must have taken at least one eligible HAL cruise or have sailed aboard a “World’s Leading Cruise Lines” brand (Carnival Cruise Lines, Princess Cruises, Cunard Line, Seabourn Cruise Line or Costa Cruises). Program level accrual is based on the number of eligible credits ("Cruise Day credits") earned per individual; Cruise Day credits are awarded for eligible cruise days or qualified onboard purchases (net of returns), and bonuses when available. Guests are eligible for Star Mariner membership after one qualifying cruise. Qualifying cruises for Star Mariner Status are defined as a cruise on any of the "World's Leading Cruise Lines" brand ships [Carnival Cruise Lines, Princess Cruises, Cunard Line, The Yachts of Seabourn or Costa Cruises]. These guests are automatically enrolled as a Star Mariner when they make their first booking with Holland America Line because of their affiliation with the World’s Leading Cruise Line. Subsequent Star levels are calculated on qualifying days and onboard spending on Holland America Line ships only

I thought I obtained one-star mariner status because I ordered a brochure last summer. Maybe it was because I have sailed Princess once. I have not received the mariner magazine, nor any special offers. I recently completed my first HAL cruise (Zuiderdam Feb 21-March 3). The one-star mariner symbol was printed on my sea pass card. I did not get invited to the embarkation lunch, but I did get invited to the Mariner Society Lunch that was scheduled towards the end of the cruise. I declined--I would have felt guilty as I figure that really is an event for people who have sailed HAL in the past. However, I did get a collectible tile on the last night of the cruise.

To qualify as a member of the Program, you must have taken at least one eligible HAL cruise or have sailed aboard a “World’s Leading Cruise Lines” brand (Carnival Cruise Lines, Princess Cruises, Cunard Line, Seabourn Cruise Line or Costa Cruises). Program level accrual is based on the number of eligible credits ("Cruise Day credits") earned per individual; Cruise Day credits are awarded for eligible cruise days or qualified onboard purchases (net of returns), and bonuses when available. Guests are eligible for Star Mariner membership after one qualifying cruise. Qualifying cruises for Star Mariner Status are defined as a cruise on any of the "World's Leading Cruise Lines" brand ships [Carnival Cruise Lines, Princess Cruises, Cunard Line, The Yachts of Seabourn or Costa Cruises]. These guests are automatically enrolled as a Star Mariner when they make their first booking with Holland America Line because of their affiliation with the World’s Leading Cruise Line. Subsequent Star levels are calculated on qualifying days and onboard spending on Holland America Line ships only

I actually read this yesterday and think it is very nice they are making anyone with at least one CCL brand cruise a 1 star Mariner which means they can have lunch in the MDR the first day, Mariner Champagne Brunch, and tile gift.

This was something like going from Celebrity to our first Azamara cruise. Although the lowest tier we went to the welcome back party, received $5.00 off any laundry (which covered a pant or sweater dry cleaned at 100%), plus received 10 minutes of free internet with any package.

It is because you have cruised on Carnival, Princess & Cunard before & those companies forwarded the info to HAL.

Have a wonderful cruise !

I have "Mariner" on my ticket.and a number(but no days at sea). tho my 1st on HAL, but am Milestones w/Carnival (28)with 145 sailing days. Not looking for any PG perks, but will welcome any..anybody know if I get a tipple???

I have never seen that on the HAL site, thank you for posting it. Very interesting. Considering all of the other lines under World's Leading Cruiselines don't allow reciprocal levels, I'm pleasantly surprised by this.

I thought I obtained one-star mariner status because I ordered a brochure last summer. Maybe it was because I have sailed Princess once. I have not received the mariner magazine, nor any special offers. I recently completed my first HAL cruise (Zuiderdam Feb 21-March 3). The one-star mariner symbol was printed on my sea pass card. I did not get invited to the embarkation lunch, but I did get invited to the Mariner Society Lunch that was scheduled towards the end of the cruise. I declined--I would have felt guilty as I figure that really is an event for people who have sailed HAL in the past. However, I did get a collectible tile on the last night of the cruise.

Thanks for sharing your experience, jt. Now I know what to expect!

I'm still a little confused as to why my DD didn't receive the icon on her pass, as she's been on Princess, Costa, and Cunard with me. But, I assume I can bring her to the brunch, if I am invited?

• 2 weeks later...

I had a Mariner number before I ever booked with HAL. I had registered to use the web site, but hadn't ever booked with HAL. It showed up on the web page on the form that takes you to more info, e.g. pricing, and the PCC assumed I had sailed on HAL before. She said I got the number because I've sailed Princess and Carnival.

Now I'm totally confused! I also have a Mariner number attached to my reservation (made through a TA) which I saw when doing my online check-in. I've never sailed on Princess, Carnival or any of their family lines. (Honestly I am almost Diamond with RCCL - a die hard fan). So I'm thinking I rec'd the Mariner # for registering online and ordering a brochure. FYI - there are no number of days listed. Any thoughts?

Now I'm totally confused! I also have a Mariner number attached to my reservation (made through a TA) which I saw when doing my online check-in. I've never sailed on Princess, Carnival or any of their family lines. (Honestly I am almost Diamond with RCCL - a die hard fan). So I'm thinking I rec'd the Mariner # for registering online and ordering a brochure. FYI - there are no number of days listed. Any thoughts?

Yes, likely you were assigned a number when you registered on the site and also ordered a brochure. At some point last year, every time I price-checked my booked HAL cruise using my real/original identity the pricing showed what I actually was paying rather than the going price. So, I created a ghost identity for myself to be able to see the going price to compare it with my fare ... and HAL assigned a Mariner number to that ghost ID. I do not think that issue for price-checking exists today ... tho I cannot be sure, as I have nothing booked at this time.

I'm back from my first HAL cruise and I just wanted to give an update re: Mariner 1-star status. The icon was on my boarding pass, and also appeared on my seapass card also. I received an invite to the Mariner's brunch, which was very nice, and we both were given a tile at that brunch. As for the Mariner ID #...everyone receives one, either through researching a cruise or booking one. The actual 1-star status comes from having sailed one line from the world's leading cruiselines alliance, as was mentioned upthread. After your first HAL cruise, then the days will accumulate. It was a very nice touch for HAL to give that status as recognition of the other cruises, though.

I did inquire at the front desk as to why DD had not received one (she's been on most of the same cruises as me), and I was told it was because she "hadn't sailed Holland's sister lines, like NCL and Royal." :eek: I just left it at that.

At some point last year, every time I price-checked my booked HAL cruise using my real/original identity the pricing showed what I actually was paying rather than the going price. So, I created a ghost identity for myself to be able to see the going price to compare it with my fare ... and HAL assigned a Mariner number to that ghost ID. I do not think that issue for price-checking exists today ... tho I cannot be sure, as I have nothing booked at this time.

Did you find different prices with the ghost identity? I had wondered if they might be giving the same price based on my ID since you have to give it to get to the prices page.

Archived