What do you think HAL should do about the Master Chef Dinner (MCD)?

AlexandNessa

What do you think HAL should do about the Master Chef Dinner (MCD)?  

538 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think HAL should do about the Master Chef Dinner (MCD)?

• Keep the MCD as it is.
    • Keep the MCD, but with modifications (change night, menu)
    • Decrease the # of MCDs (e.g., don't have one every cruise)
    • Cancel the MCD all together.
    • Add more MCDs.
    • Ambivalent or don't care.
    • I haven't experienced the MCD yet so haven't formed an opinion.
    • Other (please specify).

Also, the itinerary says "College Fjord Cruising" from 5 PM to 8 PM that last evening. As this takes place right over the primary dining hours, is the alternative dining room a good place to view the glaciers from?

To some extent that depends on which ship you're sailing on. The Pinnacle Grills on the R-class ships are inside, with no windows. The S-class ships have windows on starboard, and Vista classes have windows on portside. Those Pinnacles have many tables with little or no outside views, however.

You might want to consider eating in the Lido that night, then watching the scenic viewing from outdoors.

Personally, I never found College Fjord very interesting. If I were you, I would spend some time outdoors viewing, then have a later dinner---perhaps 7:00---and not worry about missing anything.

Ok, one salad, 2 appetizers, 2 soups, 7 Entree's and baked Alaska or choice of dessert. I would bet that the always available could be ordered as well. And they are even offereing an amuse bouche. I guess some people just can't be happy with any planned menu. I would take that over the Pinnacle, especially when you get a snotty Maitre D".

The MCD is at best "odd" ...this cruise was the first we "experienced" it. I certainly appreciate HAL trying something different. I do have to agree that I would just as soon have the old "march of the baked alaska" or even Dutch night back - that was kinda different.

• 3 months later...

The Master Chef's Dinner is a tradition on the last night of any Holland America Line cruise. Waiters dance and juggle, and I personally think it's a great time!!

However, I've noticed that there are some mixed feelings about the MCD.

Share your thoughts here! ;)

It's not always on the last night. We just finished the Alaska cruise and it was on night #12. I try to find out when they are holding it so I can book the Pinnacle or some other place to eat. Take care.

I think that if you are doing the HAL cruises out of Seattle the Dinner is held on the evening the ship leaves Ketchikan because the last night the ship is in Victoria BC and many are off the ship.

I preferred Dutch Night ... more of a tradition than the Master Chef Disaster. I'm not a fan of Ringling Brothers in the MDR, unless there also are contortionists, unicyclists and trapeze performers.

I preferred Dutch Night ... more of a tradition than the Master Chef Disaster. I'm not a fan of Ringling Brothers in the MDR, unless there also are contortionists, unicyclists and trapeze performers.

Oh, my gosh....................I really MISS Ditch Dinner...............will do most anything to avoid the MCD. Our servers work so hard to do their job and I don't feel they should have to take all that time to learn to juggle, etc. and then have to fit it in and still get the food to us. They were not hired as entertainment.:eek:

Oh, my gosh! I REALLY miss Dutch Dinner...........thanks for the reminder.

I will do most anything to avoid the MDR on the night of the MCD. Our waiters were not hired to be entertainers and I just don't like that they have to take time to learn to juggle, dance, etc. And, then people complain because they can't get excellent service that night. It's NOT the fault of the servers who work so hard.:eek:

Besides, I think that Baked Alaska is AWFUL. It used to be so good when they had the parade and they had candles on them, etc. JMI......;)

We went to 4 of them -- which was 3 too many -- when they were started a few years ago.

It was not always on the last night of the cruise -- that was started just a few months ago.

And it was not a HAL tradition.

I go on a cruise for loving evening meals in the dining room -- I don't like ending my cruise with the carnival atmosphere.

The Master Chef's Dinner is hardly a "tradition"; it started only a few short years ago. Now, if only it could be ended the way so many of the real "traditions" were. :rolleyes:

The dinner is a farce. It's an unwelcome interruption in what otherwise is a lovely social gathering. With a fungus-filled menu, to boot! :eek: It's loud, distracting, unappetizing. It's a good excuse to dine anywhere else the night it's held.

Just out of curiosity.. what is this "Dutch" dinner I keep hearing about?!?:rolleyes:
Dutch Night was pretty much as it sounds - the menu had items served in The Netherlands and there were Dutch hats at each place setting.

Sorry, I didn'tknow it hasnt been around that long..

I've only been sailing with HAL since 2007.

Just out of curiosity.. what is this "Dutch" dinner I keep hearing about?!?:rolleyes:

We haven't seen a Dutch dinnner in years where the dining room was decorated, the staff wore some dutch clothes -- especially in the bars -- there were hats on the table for us to wear.

On our Zuiderdam cruises last fall we didn't even have an evening where some Dutch foods were offered.

After reading a much of comments here about the MCD I was a little worried about going do dinner that night. But you know.... It looked like everyone was having fun. So I really didn't get the same impression many of you have. To me it looked like it was one meal when they the servers were allowed to joke around and have fun. Some were into it more then others but it was fine.

.... It looked like everyone was having fun. So I really didn't get the same impression many of you have. To me it looked like it was one meal when they the servers were allowed to joke around and have fun. Some were into it more then others but it was fine.

Totally agree... The waiters/wine stewards looked like they were having a good time and most of the guests were enjoying it also!

I'm probably in the minority, but after our first Dutch Night dinner we always went to the Pinnacle on that night. Didn't like the food and the hats reminded me of being on Royal Caribbean with all their different countries 'nights'. Please don't flame. I know Dutch night was tradition for some, but we just didn't like it. JMHO.

With a fungus-filled menu, to boot! :eek: It's loud, distracting, unappetizing. It's a good excuse to dine anywhere else the night it's held.

Fungus-filled menu made me laugh and is why when my husband and I saw the menu earlier in the day we promptly canceled our reservations and ate in the Lido.

The Master Chef's Dinner is a tradition on the last night of any Holland America Line cruise. Waiters dance and juggle, and I personally think it's a great time!!

However, I've noticed that there are some mixed feelings about the MCD.

Share your thoughts here! ;)

I realize that you are fairly new to Cruise Critic, so please understand this is a suggestion from someone who was in your shoes just 1 year ago....

Please read all of the threads, and their titles before beginning one that is the same as another. Been there, done that, NO FUN getting told, in a nice way of course, that you are just trying to build up your post count:)

So I'd just like to say read first, do not start a new thread if one already exists. ADD your thoughts to an already existing one.:)

And look back 2-3 pages before concluding there is nothing to match your thoughts. Or do a search for a specific word.

Joanie

Archived