Is Delos worth it?

ashelsi

I need help. I am debating on whether or not I want to take the ship’s shore excursion to Delos. I am very interested in history and would like to see ruins but we have many other ports where I can do this (Athens, Ephesus, Iraklion, Nafplion). I also think Mykonos Town look amazing and would love to spend some time wandering the streets. If I take the Delos excursion it looks like we would still have a couple hours before the ship departs that we could see the town. So my questions are: Is Delos a “must see”? Will a couple of hours be enough to explore Mykonos town? Or should I just skip Delos all together and spend the day in Mykonos Town? What would you do? Thanks for your advice!

For someone who is interested in history, Delos is extraordinary. It was the sacred headquarters and treasury of the Athenian Alliance's Delian League. The tour was fascinating.

We took the Delos ship's tour and still had several hours for a delicious sunset dinner in Mykonos, plus time to wander and shop in Mykonos Town. Mykonos Town is very scenic, but I don't think it takes more than a few shots of the windmills, a Petros sighting, and a couple of shops before you start repeating yourself.

Obviously, without the historical interest, there's not much point in visiting Delos. But for you, I'd recommend it.

We also took cruise shore excursion to Delos because I am very into archaeology. The guide did a wonderful job explaining the history of Delos to us. I was glad that we went there; however, I didn't feel that I spent enough time in Mykonos. Since you like history, you may regret if you don't go to Delos. For people who do not care too much about ruins, they may suffer "too-many-ruins-syndrome" with your itinerary :)

For someone who is interested in history, Delos is extraordinary. It was the sacred headquarters and treasury of the Athenian Alliance's Delian League. The tour was fascinating.

We took the Delos ship's tour and still had several hours for a delicious sunset dinner in Mykonos, plus time to wander and shop in Mykonos Town. Mykonos Town is very scenic, but I don't think it takes more than a few shots of the windmills, a Petros sighting, and a couple of shops before you start repeating yourself.

Obviously, without the historical interest, there's not much point in visiting Delos. But for you, I'd recommend it.

I had almost exactly the same experience as CoralReef. I felt I had plenty of time to enjoy Mykonos Town after the Delos tour. (And I wouldn't have missed seeing Delos for anything....:))

Well, even though I'm also very keen on history, I've taken the opposite tack from the other posters. In three visits to Mykonos, I haven't yet been to Delos. I know it's historically important but so many sites are in the E Mediterranean; and Mykonos offers the best opportunity for a chill-out day. That's what we've done.

Delos has been there a long time; it'll still be there when you come back.

Last October we also decided to miss Delos in favor of walking around Mykonos. We had been to Cairo, Jerusalem, Kusadasi etc. and had enough of ruins and history.

So we walked around Mykonos. It's really nothing but shop after shop amid narrow winding lanes. The architecture is very pretty and interesting. Then lots of restaurants and cafes. We walked to the Windmills, stopped in a few shops, rested our feet, had a snack at a restaurant and went back to the ship. Took all of 2 hours.

While it was a nice morning, I am not sure if we should have gone to Delos too.

IMG_0747.jpg.be1d5020f4aeda79df9727ee41b90068.jpg

Thank you Coralreef, Kestrel, Cruisemom42, tom uk, and Fblack for your help! I think I have decided that I am going to book the excursion. I think Kestral is right that even if I do feel like I didn’t get enough time in Mykonos Town I might regret not going to Delos more. I also appreciate the opposing opinion tom uk. I can cancel the excursion up to 48 hours in advance so if I start to feel burnt out I will keep in mind Mykonos is a good place to have a relaxing day. Thank you again!

Well, now my feeling is that Mykonos is a Greek Island. There are lots of Greek Islands. And if I want a "chill out" day on a cruise I stay on the ship and have a wonderful time while everybody else is ashore.

Delos, OTOH, is not "just another ruin." It's historical and religious significance is amazing, and the island itself is a wonderful place of power to visit.

For me, it was the only possible choice.

Check out our trip report and pictures at http://www.bully4.us/med.html

Have a GREAT cruise!

Delos is a must-see, a truly unique experience with a special feeling, perhaps because no one is permitted to live there. Mykonos is just a cute charming place to spend a few hours visiting overpriced shops or the beach.

Well, even though I'm also very keen on history, I've taken the opposite tack from the other posters. In three visits to Mykonos, I haven't yet been to Delos. I know it's historically important but so many sites are in the E Mediterranean; and Mykonos offers the best opportunity for a chill-out day. That's what we've done.

Delos has been there a long time; it'll still be there when you come back.

I like that. We are doing a Greece and Turkey trip via island hopping in late April after our Transatlantic cruise on Eurodam leaving April 3rd. It is a much more extensive trip than your usual cruise line itinerary. The ferry schedules in late April are still very iffy and sea may be rough, cancellation of ferry often happens due to weather condition. In order to fit Rhodes and the ferry schedules (Plan A, B & C!) to Turkey in our itinerary, we have to cut our stay in Mykonos to just a day - that is, arrive in the afternoon from Athens, spend the night and then next day take the ferry to Santorini mid-day. So no Delos for us on this trip. Now you make me feel much better about missing Delos.

Our Mykonos stop is in July. (Regent Mariner) We're near 80, so there's not likely to be another opportunity for us to see Delos. Since I've taught mythology and lots of other Greek lit., I've always been interested in Delos. Our concern is what the perhaps 100 degree heat will do to us. My understanding is that there's no shade on the island, is that pretty much correct? Thank you.

You can duck into the museum for a breather. We were there in November so I can't tell you if it was air conditioned, but presumably it is (or at least climate controlled).

I also do not recall anywhere to buy water or any other beverage or food, so bring your water with you (and drink it frequently).

When we were there in the very late afternoon, after the ferries had stopped running, the museum was closed but the little snack bar was open. You could buy cold drinks there.

Good to know. I think the snack bar must've been closed in November...

Yes - definately.

On our first cruise to Mykonosis the ship docked too late for us to make the trip but we were there again this November and were able to do it. At least in the autumn the last ferry back is at 3:00 so your ship's schedule may play into your plans.

Our Mykonos stop is in July. (Regent Mariner) We're near 80, so there's not likely to be another opportunity for us to see Delos. Since I've taught mythology and lots of other Greek lit., I've always been interested in Delos. Our concern is what the perhaps 100 degree heat will do to us. My understanding is that there's no shade on the island, is that pretty much correct? Thank you.

That is correct, sadly. A wide brimmed hat and lots of water are necessary!

If you are somewhat mobility limited, it was possible for me to do the first part of the tour, as far as the Naxian Lions, which is fairly level and not too much walking. I then went back to the boat dock were there is limited seating and a tiny spot of shade while the tour went up the hill and back down.

Check out our trip report and pictures at http://www.bully4.us/med.html

Have a GREAT cruise!

We will only be in Mykonos from 7:00am-2:00pm on Oct. 2. We would like to see Delos but it seems our only choice would be to take the ship's tour from 8:00-11:30. Then that wouldn't leave us much time in Mykonos. So would it be better to just stay in Mykonos since we have such a short time? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

We will only be in Mykonos from 7:00am-2:00pm on Oct. 2. We would like to see Delos but it seems our only choice would be to take the ship's tour from 8:00-11:30. Then that wouldn't leave us much time in Mykonos. So would it be better to just stay in Mykonos since we have such a short time? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

It's hard to say -- there is no one right or wrong answer. Personally, having done both, I'd vote to skip Mykonos and see Delos (especially if you are doing other Greek isles on your cruise; Santorini, for example is much more picturesque for wandering around than Mykonos).

Then again, others who aren't that into ruins would say the opposite....

Depends... what do you want to see in Mykonos? It's a pretty little town with good shopping, but that's true of other Greek ports. It was especially lovely at sunset, but you will be leaving before then.

Delos is fascinating for those who are interested in history and like to imagine what it was like to live back then. But it's a lot of work for those who just want to take it easy and shop. If you took the tour, you'd still have time for lunch and shopping....

In other words, I agree with cruisemom42... and Cynthia, I love your signature!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived