Is Delos worth it?

ashelsi

I am very excited to be visiting the greek islands for the first time. I want to visit Delos, but I don't want to spend too much on the excursions. Is it possible to get to Delos yourself somehow?

If its the only way than we'll just have to do it, I'm sure i will be worth it

We'll be in Mykonos in September, arriving at 1 pm. Looks like the only option for Delos is the ship's tour, given the late arrival time. The tour is described as 4 hours long but I've read that the site closes at 3 pm. Does it stay open longer to accommodate ships' tours?

We'll be in Mykonos in September, arriving at 1 pm. Looks like the only option for Delos is the ship's tour, given the late arrival time. The tour is described as 4 hours long but I've read that the site closes at 3 pm. Does it stay open longer to accommodate ships' tours?

Yes, I did the same thing. The site does stay open, but the museum may or may not be open at the end. It's worth a quick look around, so one the guided part is done, I'd make for the museum first, then spend the remainder of the time in the other nearby areas (e.g., the avenue of lions, the sacred pool, etc)

• 2 weeks later...

Hey

...Yes Delos is worth it. Mykonos is small enough you can do both.

We simply went to the dock and bought return Tickets on the ferry to Delos(15 euros return) They have plenty of them and Delos is very easy to walk around on.

We took the 10a.m. ferry and returned on the 12.30.. Of course we didn't see everything but a lot of great stuff is right there. We went to Ephesus, acropolis, pompeii and Istanbul and I think Delos was one of the best.

. Is it possible to get to Delos yourself somehow?

Yes.. go to the ferry dock( between town and the windmills) and you can get a return ticket for 15 euros.

..You can easily do a self guided tour. It's quite flat most of it. And there will be ferries sitting there and you just hop on one to return.

We took the ship's tour and had a private ferry. Another ferry did show up and left when we were there. I don't think it stayed long enough to see much. There are few people on the island and a place to get a cold juuice and some small trinkets. No one except scientists live on the island. Delos was well worth the excursion. The mosaic work was interesting and was the island. I love mythology and actually seeing the place was awesome. Did see some interesting male genitalia statues.

Temma

. Is it possible to get to Delos yourself somehow?

Yes.. go to the ferry dock( between town and the windmills) and you can get a return ticket for 15 euros.

..You can easily do a self guided tour. It's quite flat most of it. And there will be ferries sitting there and you just hop on one to return.

We were at Delos last week. It is IMO THE MUST SEE archeological site in all of Greece. The ruins are better preserved than anywhere else. It is a very easy do it yourself trip, but be cautioned there is a lot of walking and a lot of it is very hilly.

Get the ferry from Mykonos town (15 Euro roundtrip - it runs each way 3 times a day 9, 10 and 11 going over and 12, 1:30 and 3:30 return). The admission is 5 Euros. Be sure to stop at the small snack area and have an orange juice and do not miss the museum.

I've read that Delos is closed to the public on Mondays. If that's the day your ship is in Mykanos the only way you may be able to see it may be by using the ship's excursion to the island. You might want to check this out if Monday is your day to be there.

Archived