Online TA, safe to use?

edgeman61

A very general question, not all online TA's are created equal. We have used an online based TA, but we have also seen horror stories of others that have booked and not been happy. It is important to research and verify that the company you are dealing with is reputable.

If the deal sounds too good to true, then check even more. After booking, check with NCL to ensure the reservation matches your expectations (it should be associated with your lattitudes number).

I have seen, but have no personal experience, where a TA was betting that the price would drop and was holding on to the booking, and it didn't and the cruiser didn't get to go.

On the positive side, our TA works with us and making sure we get the best deal that is out there, while often you could get the same deal, its up you research (is the military rate best, the past guest, the over 55 rate, etc...). Our TA also typically offers an onboard credit when booking through them.

No matter what cruise line I'm sailing, I've learned to book directlly with the cruiseline. I used an online TA last time because the price was great. Everything turned out ok, but I wanted to upgrade (pay more to do it) from the lowest category balcony (obstructed) to a higher category balcony. I started calling the TA at least 3 weeks before my cruise and she never once answered my calls. Then, the cruiseline will not deal with you even if you tell them that the TA will not answer your calls.

Another time, a different TA was on vacation, so I missed out on a price drop, so make sure the TA has associates that can handle your reservation if he/she is not able to be reached.

Some people have great TAs though. I just like to have the ability to deal with my reservation myself.

Trying to decide on booking thru an online agency or directly with NCL.

Any advantages of one vs. the other?

The cost advantage (currently) seems to be with the online agencies.

Thanks in advance.

most are fine, some I would be leary of, which ones? it is hard to say. One of the biggest problems is contact with the online agency even if you have an agent's name. Many are nothing more than order takers.

Nita

No matter what cruise line I'm sailing, I've learned to book directlly with the cruiseline. I used an online TA last time because the price was great. Everything turned out ok, but I wanted to upgrade (pay more to do it) from the lowest category balcony (obstructed) to a higher category balcony. I started calling the TA at least 3 weeks before my cruise and she never once answered my calls. Then, the cruiseline will not deal with you even if you tell them that the TA will not answer your calls.

Another time, a different TA was on vacation, so I missed out on a price drop, so make sure the TA has associates that can handle your reservation if he/she is not able to be reached.

Some people have great TAs though. I just like to have the ability to deal with my reservation myself.

The secret is working with an agent, whether home based or what that has a back up plan. A good agent will always have someone filling in for them if they are not available.

Nita

We have used several different on-line TAs with only one problem (from one of the biggest companies- that even advertises here on Cruise Critic)(it was eventually resolved). Whenever we make a payment (by credit card) we verify with the TA that they will be giving our number to NCl (or whichever cruiseline is involved) so that the cruiseline is the one making the actual charge, rather than the TA (or her company). If the agency goes out of business (as has happened), you are assured that the cruiseline can not say they were never paid.

Also, you should be given a booking number as soon as you put any money down; using this number, verify that your cruise info is on the cruiseline's website. The TA may say that it takes several days for this, but with the speed of computers, you should be able to input your cruise booking number (and your personal info) on NCL's site and find that it does match the info NCL has about your cruise- all within a day or two. If it's not there, consider stopping payment with your credit card company.

And as someone already said, if it sounds too good to be true, be cautious- it could be a scam.

We've booked 3 of our cruises online with no problems. Much better price than direct with the cruiseline. I did have to cancel one of the cruises, a single phone call took care of that with no issues. The biggest problem is that if you want to upgrade or chase a price decrease, you have to deal with the agency. NCL won't talk to you if you've booked through an agency and some of the online TA's are not very responsive when it comes to doing these types of changes. The low price you are getting is because of the volume they push, accordingly, service can be on the low side.

We've used an online TA for our past cruises. It is one that doesn't have a phone number, which I found a bit scary at first, but with experience I've actually grown to like communicating through emails. Their agents all have access to your file, so you get a quick response. There is NO hand holding though, for experienced cruisers only.

Thanks in advance.

my only experience was with my up coming cruise. I booked with cruiseline and transferred my reservation to an online. As a result, not only did I have my cruise paid in full but also was reimbursed a substantial amout of money. I have been able to communicate with my TA anytime I wanted. I also received a $350.00 onboard credit. I know there are plenty of negative stories out there, but my experience has been very good. I think booking with the cruiseline first may give you an idea how much you can save by transferring to an online company.

Thanks in advance.

Since we were planning a first cruise...we decided to go directly through NCL and were assigned a PCC. (personal cruise consultant)

He has been great...checking in with me over the last year...and telling me different things about NCL and the Gem. He even ordered us an anniversary cake courtesy of NCL because it will be our 10th anniversary cruise. Any questions we have....he answers quickly.

Others I have read about here on CC seem to love their TA's too...even ones online. I think it comes down to being able to contact them with questions or concerns...and having them get back to you.

Good luck and have a great time.

We've used all 3 including mitliple on-line TAs with no problem, but now primarily use just one because we like the TA we deal with. Note: The one we use is an on-line agency, but you call to make reservations. A couple of things to watch out for:

- Booking fees - several on-line agencies charge a small booking fee. Mine does not.

- Agency cancellation and/or change fees. These are very common. Again, the agency I use does not charge them. Of course, you get charge the cruise line cancellation fees if you cancel after final payment.

- Be sure that your deposit is charged by the cruiseline rather than the agency (this is true of regular TAs too.)

The bottom line is do what you are comfortable with. But do not expect a online TA to be consultative. Their's is a volume business. You need to know what you want then they can be great and may offer a discount. I say "may" because most of the major cruise lines today have fixed pricing so the only real discounts are group rates when an agency has guaranteed selling a number of cabins. Otherwise, the only real difference is OBC or other amentities.

Archived