My not-so-cancelled wedding! :)

melraemic

Posting a new thread because I can't figure out how to edit/reply to my other one because it says "closed"....

Just an update for all of those that were very supportive (thank you, by the way!). After much red tape, my wonderful travel agent was able to go to the top, and got a hold of someone that could do something. They have offered us a different sailing (at the same rate!!) and also offered to compensate my guests for airfare, as it will be a one day change. Also, the wedding director at Carnival, who has been out of the office for two days, just called with sincere apologies and states she couldn't even "wrap her arms" around what happened to us and offered us an upgrade. All I wanted all along was a solution, and finally I have one! Does it suck that it took 3 days and going all the way to the top to get the customer service I have come to expect from Carnival? Yes. But all in all it has worked out, and they have fixed this. That's all I wanted.

Thank you to all of those that offered alternative suggestions (and defended me in the forums!!), you have been wonderful! I will definitely post when I come back from our spring break cruise. To those that were not so nice, that's ok. It's your opinion. I realize how it must have seemed for this to be my first post, but, being a nurse, I know that people are more likely to discuss bad experiences than they are good ones. I was upset, and I am a bride (which in itself is a huge stress), and I need a place to vent. However, I just have one question....why would I make this up? Its pretty far-fetched, I know....I had a hard time believing it myself. And, no, this may not be the MOST IMPORTANT day of my life 50 years from now, but its pretty much the biggest milestone thus far. Of course I realize that being married to someone I love and starting a family with them is what it's all about, but our families our important to us and we wanted to be able to share this experience with them.

We can't wait for our wedding day (although I'm a little skeptical about getting too excited...but they have reassured me this is a very very rare occurence), and posting all about it afterwards!! Carnival has come through with the GREAT customer service I knew existed. It took a lilttle longer to get it, but at least the problem is solved. So, thank you, Carnival and Millie in the wedding department for making it work in the end!

One, congratulations on your upcoming wedding. Two, why would you make it? Because people do odd things on the internet. I once saw someone create an internet persona, try to say it was killed in a five car pile-up and then brought it back from the dead Lazarus-style. Why? She was an attention vacuum and pathological liar. I'm not saying you are, just that the internet is an odd place. Three, I hope your wedding goes well from here on out.

Posting a new thread because I can't figure out how to edit/reply to my other one because it says "closed"....

Just an update for all of those that were very supportive (thank you, by the way!). After much red tape, my wonderful travel agent was able to go to the top, and got a hold of someone that could do something. They have offered us a different sailing (at the same rate!!) and also offered to compensate my guests for airfare, as it will be a one day change. Also, the wedding director at Carnival, who has been out of the office for two days, just called with sincere apologies and states she couldn't even "wrap her arms" around what happened to us and offered us an upgrade. All I wanted all along was a solution, and finally I have one! Does it suck that it took 3 days and going all the way to the top to get the customer service I have come to expect from Carnival? Yes. But all in all it has worked out, and they have fixed this. That's all I wanted.

Thank you to all of those that offered alternative suggestions (and defended me in the forums!!), you have been wonderful! I will definitely post when I come back from our spring break cruise. To those that were not so nice, that's ok. It's your opinion. I realize how it must have seemed for this to be my first post, but, being a nurse, I know that people are more likely to discuss bad experiences than they are good ones. I was upset, and I am a bride (which in itself is a huge stress), and I need a place to vent. However, I just have one question....why would I make this up? Its pretty far-fetched, I know....I had a hard time believing it myself. And, no, this may not be the MOST IMPORTANT day of my life 50 years from now, but its pretty much the biggest milestone thus far. Of course I realize that being married to someone I love and starting a family with them is what it's all about, but our families our important to us and we wanted to be able to share this experience with them.

We can't wait for our wedding day (although I'm a little skeptical about getting too excited...but they have reassured me this is a very very rare occurence), and posting all about it afterwards!! Carnival has come through with the GREAT customer service I knew existed. It took a lilttle longer to get it, but at least the problem is solved. So, thank you, Carnival and Millie in the wedding department for making it work in the end!

I'm so glad for you. I think it's so messed up that Carnival can charter a ship for a private event after they have bookings. Very glad it's working out for you.

I am so glad this worked out for you! I can't imagine how stressed out you were. I would have been a complete mess.

I just want to tell you...it will always be one "if not" the most important day of your life! Without the wonderful husband you wouldn't have the wonderful children!!;) Even after three beautiful little girls my Wedding Day is still one of the best days of my life. :)

Have a wonderful Wedding and rest of your life together!

I'm so happy that Carnival is stepping up and helping you out, as they should! Now you will be able to enjoy your cruise next week and look forward to your wedding.

Thank you for coming back and posting the outcome.

Happy cruising!

I didn't read the first thread because it was too long by the time I got to it, but I'd like to say HOORAY! for getting married during a cruise. and HOORAY for getting everything worked out. I got married on the Carnival Victory in May of 08 and there were a few snafus (though nothing as large as my ship being chartered after I'd planned everything!!) and I wasn't happy in the end. (still resent my wedding day, ugh.) but the few people at the wedding and my husband all thought it was amazing and loved the whole experience. I hope it's an amazing experience and that you cherish the memories for the rest of your life!

melraemic: That is truly great news. Glad to hear that it all is going to work out ok. You sound so much better now than you did. I hope the jerks that were nasty to you will be big enough to come back an apologize to you. Good Luck with your upcoming marriage and I hope the the cruise is a wonderful experience for you and your family.

I think it's so messed up that Carnival can charter a ship for a private event after they have bookings.

I don't think the actual charter is messed up. One person (or group) is willing to guarantee enough revenue for Carnival that it outweighs what they could make by opening it to individual bookings. Think of not only the money that will be made (as it would obviously have to be at least what they were projected to earn otherwise) but the man hours it saves by freeing up the PVP for every person that would have booked, cancelled, changed their mind, submitted price drop forms, etc. Now also factor in that most of the complaints for that charter will be addressed with the chartering entity, and very of few of them will actually make it back to Carnival. Again, frees up the personnel.

Now, I will agree that how they handled it leaves much to be desired. I am surprised that between this thread and the other, NO ONE quoted the contract that states they can change anything at any time.

So then in the legal respect they don't "owe" the OP anything if she'd signed that contract. Ethically, it looks like they've taken at least some of the responsibility. Shame it took such a hassle, thought all's well that ends well, right?

Woo whoooo!! Great news. I had been following the other thread, but there wasn't any "new" advice I could have offered. Glad everything worked out - and, btw - hope this is the most important day in your life for the next 75 years - go big, or go home!!:D

Lets keep this thread positive and about the OP. Who cares any longer if it was right or wrong for Carnival to do this or the legal aspects involved. It is all working out for the OP and that is what is important. :D

Well said Traveler...as are all of your posts! You are a great example of how helpful CC can be.

I am so happy for you. I tried to respond to you this morning after I spoke with Carnival, but the thread was already closed.

What ship will you be on?

They haven't called me yet, but we are hoping to just switch to the Sensation.

Archived