Nifty & Thrifty Find's

Thanks for filling me in on what you keep in the pockets! I will have most of this stuff with me too, and hadn't thought of keeping all the "misc" stuff in the holder. I agree, that would be much more organized and I wouldn't have to sort through different bags, drawers and suitcases to find the small things. They'd all be there on the hanger :)

Thanks again!

• 2 weeks later...

I use a small over the door pocket from dollar tree. It has 6 pockets and I didn't use the over the door part, just hung the string on the bathroom hook.

I visit all the 'freebie' websites and get tons of free samples mailed to me. I don't have to buy and travel size bathroom supplies because I get them all for free.

Laundry on board:

Fold together a dryer sheet and a dishcloth into a ziplock bag, then pour in one load worth of detergent (go light, the washers on board are small). On board, toss them into the wash with your laundry. I slip a couple into a larger baggie. If you need to pre-treat a stain, just rub the cloth onto the spot.

You'll have pre-measured detergent, with less risk of leaks or spills. The dryer sheet might lose a little of the softener, but it'll still have plenty for the dry-cycle.

Edited by Sue Do-Over

Love Dollar Tree. That's where I get any greeting cards I need. Best tip and find there are the magnetic clips. Since the cabin walls are magnetic, all those papers can "hang" instead of taking up prime desk top real estate.

Kathy

Laundry on board:

Fold together a dryer sheet and a dishcloth into a ziplock bag, then pour in one load worth of detergent (go light, the washers on board are small). On board, toss them into the wash with your laundry. I slip a couple into a larger baggie. If you need to pre-treat a stain, just rub the cloth onto the spot.

You'll have pre-measured detergent, with less risk of leaks or spills. The dryer sheet might lose a little of the softener, but it'll still have plenty for the dry-cycle.

I take the dryer sheets but usually take the travel packets of Tide I get at Walmart or Target...it's good for 2 loads. Put it with my liquids in a heavy duty zip bag...never had a leak yet. Also 4-6 clothespins. Great for wet suits.

K:)

Love Dollar Tree. That's where I get any greeting cards I need. Best tip and find there are the magnetic clips. Since the cabin walls are magnetic, all those papers can "hang" instead of taking up prime desk top real estate.

Kathy

Just looked for them today at Dollar Tree and I couldn't find them. What did you find them by? I've still got a couple of months to go so there's still hope. :)

Kathy

That's a good tip! I hate all those bits of paper lying around -- I never thought of a magnetic clip!!

Just looked for them today at Dollar Tree and I couldn't find them. What did you find them by? I've still got a couple of months to go so there's still hope. :)

They are usually over by the kitchen gadgets. If not there, ask the store clerk. I have been to Dollar Trees in different states and things can be on different aisles. Going past mine tomorrow and will pop in to check.

K

Someone mentioned water wings for protecting wine bottles. I also saw them recommended for long flights... inflate one just a little, and use behind your lower back for lumbar support. Put the other around the arm rest that you're leaning against.

I'm short, and my feet never reach the floor in the plane, increasing the pressure on my knees. I was advised to get a beach ball and inflate it part way, to have a custom-fit footrest. It's good for your circulation to 'bicycle' your legs, and squishing the air around in the ball (lift/lower and point/flex each foot with some resistance) gives some relief there, too.

That's a good tip! I hate all those bits of paper lying around -- I never thought of a magnetic clip!!

I went a slightly different route and went with these, since I already had them on-hand:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/OOK-5-lb-1-1-8-in-Clear-Plastic-Suction-Cups-with-Hooks-6-Pack-54402/100212757#.UZu3MEoguyU

Stick very well to glass surfaces (like mirrors) and also to varnished/laminated wood surfaces, both of which you'll find in spades inside a cruise ship cabin. I would imagine they'd stick quite well to painted surfaces like cabin doors too (though I never tried).

Hang almost anything fairly lightweight out of the way (I hung a folding umbrella on one and it stayed up safely for all 16 days we were on the ship). Add a binder clip to store important papers like the daily program!

Pictures of my suction hooks doing their thing. First, a small one, for the lanyards and the second, a large one, for storing the rain gear (note dollar store ponchos):

Img_7189.jpg

a>Img_7188.jpg

Below is a jewelry organizer that my wife has had like forever and we never before found a real use for. This time I took it with us to store all the bits and bobs that people suggested such a thing might be useful for. And you know what...they were right! This one does have a built-in hanger that I tucked it away when I found that the two sewn in loops were perfectly spaced for the coat hooks attached to the cabin wall!

Img_7200.jpg

A couple of other things I could have done with taking but didn't - 1) A nice wine bottle caddy for bringing unopened bottles from the cabin to the dining room. 2) A small (six-can) soft-sided cooler for transporting leftover beer-bucket beers between the cabin and public areas.

I tried using regular suction cups in our glass shower on Freedom of the Seas and everything kept sliding to the bottom. If we cruise RCL again I'm going to bring the levered cups and hopefully they are stronger.

Our next cruises are Carnival again, so I'll bring my plastic clothes pins to hang things on the inside of the shower curtain. There is also a short clothesline, but on two of our cruises it was too short to reach the other wall.

A tip I read elsewhere is to take highlighters of different colors for each member of your party. Then when you get the cruise compass, each person can highlight things they want to do.

Found the Dollar Tree six pocket holders in the laundry aisle. Either near the laundry bags or the hangars. Usually in a bin at the bottom. Sometimes they have five pockets.

They are usually over by the kitchen gadgets. If not there, ask the store clerk. I have been to Dollar Trees in different states and things can be on different aisles. Going past mine tomorrow and will pop in to check.

K

Went to my Dollar Tree today and there are 6 magnetic clips in a package on the kitchen gadget aisle.

K

Also, you can get a variety of samples from walmart.com

The content varies alot but have gotten toothpaste and shampoo/conditioner paks.

Just type in free samples in the search field.

That is a great idea. I just did that and now have a free coffee sample and hair product on its way. :D

When I am in a hotel room, I sometime use the tray from under the ice bucket to organize things in the bathroom, so I don't have to stuff everything back in my toiletry bag. I was looking for some lightweight trays, when I saw a 4 pack of clear plastic plant saucers at the Dollar Store.

They should be just right for catching errant paper clips and coins and let me leave my favorite lip gloss and nail clippers out.

I was at Dollar Tree yesterday and purchased 4 solar table lamps.

They will be perfect for the balcony or the cabin bathroom at night. They charge in the sun then come on when dark. It illuminates just enough light to see but not as much as the regular balcony or bathroom would. The lamp is about 8" tall with a lift-off lamp shade and has an on/off switch if you decide you do not want the light on at all during night time or in the dark.

**** just to note, I charged them under the light in my dining room so they will charge in bright light if one has an inside cabin.

They were quite a deal for only a buck each.

:)

• 1 month later...

I buy a themed gift bag and put paperwork in it. You can hang it or set it on the dresser or night stand. I've used Christmas, Valentines, etc. This time it is Hawaiian. It really cuts down on paper clutter, and Dollar Tree is great for them.

Edited by Kolleen

I buy a themed gift bag and put paperwork in it. You can hang it or set it on the dresser or night stand. I've used Christmas, Valentines, etc. This time it is Hawaiian. It really cuts down on paper clutter, and Dollar Tree is great for them.

That's a really great idea !!!! It would be especially nifty to keep the daily FunTimes or whatever your particular cruiseline calls their activity schedule.

In addition, it would take up almost no room in the luggage.

Great idea, thanks for sharing.

:)

• 3 weeks later...
Just bought a $0.99 app currency converter for my phone. It also includes a calculator, measuring tape, and FLASHLIGHT! Someone mentioned a flahslight is good to have when finding your way back to the ship at night.

Would you please supply the name?

Thanks,