Nifty & Thrifty Find's

We looked for a collapsible drawer at Dollar Tree over the weekend, but couldn't find anything. Where in the store did you find one?

Hi, I just saw them in the Dollar Tree today. Definitely in the closet organization section next to the clothespins. There are 3 different sizes that I could find. One was about 3" tall and the size of a sheet of paper, the others were same sizes but 6" taller and didn't see how big the largest was. They are wrapped in a plastic package and some were hanging, others on bottom shelf. The actual package for the small one is about 4 x 6", because it's all folded up. There are a variety of patterns but all in Navy or burgandy color scheme. They are very cheap papery fabric. Would not use them in my house, but would be perfect for containing things in drawer on ship or inside the safe and then left behind for trash. $1 each.

This is one of the first places I come once I've booked a cruise -- just loads of valuable, clever ideas :) One of my favorites, that I've used repeatedly, is the collapsable shoe rack that hangs in the closet -- for years we've been travelling with 2 adults/2 children in one cabin and this turned out to be a huge help; the kids claimed all the actual "drawers" in the cabin, so the adults put all our folded clothes in the shoe rack "shelves".

I love the idea of the suction cups for the bathroom -- never seems like there's enough room to hang wet suits, or the ones that are hung in the shower need to be removed when someone wants to use it. This seems much more convenient.

Keep 'em coming! :)

OOOHH: thanks , why hadn't I thought of that, I am gonna go out and get some tomorrow.

Cori

• 5 weeks later...

Thanks for all the wonderful tips & ideas. I always check out the Dollar Tree & Ocean State Job Lots, which is like a Big Lots. I buy my sunscreen there for a lot cheaper than the stores and name brands.

My helpful tip is bring along insulated travel mugs for coffee or tea, purchased at the Dollar store. The cups in the buffet are just too small. At the end of the cruise, I toss it out!

I recently used a tip from this (or was it another) and wanted to share my experience. I bought the three pack of flicker tea light faux candles at the Dollar Tree. The pkg said they would last 60 hours. We went on a 15 day cruise and one candle lasted the entire cruise! I would click it on in the evening, before going to bed, and it was just the right amount of light in the bathroom for those middle of the night nature calls. Thanks to who ever thought this one up, I won't be traveling without one.

Nicci

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't read through all so this may have been mentioned: Got some big plastic clothespins at Dollar Tree (6 for a buck) and they worked fine to hold beach towel or anything clipped to chair. Much cheaper than the fancy boca clips if you don't have to be trendy. Had blue and white when I bought. Also in laundry/closet area.

Just wanted to share a Dollar Tree limited-time item that I saw yesterday. a bag of the Purex laundry pods. They were just a buck but sell for the $5 - $6 range at the grocery store. A pretty good bargain, expecially if you have a coupon. Dollar Tree recently started accepting coupons, so it was a real steal.

:)

Hi folks...We are fairly new to cruising, but found out quickly how expensive and painfully slow the on board computers are. Does anyone know if it does work out cheaper to bring your own lap top ? You still have to pay the cruise line for your time spent on-line, but am wondering if it works out to be more reasonable at all ? Any hints and tips on this topic would be MOST appreciated...Thanks :)

While I understand this question was asked many months ago I am not sure if you were given answers that really cut the “live” time down on the internet.

I found this thread while looking for a tip myself on another subject and so for what it is worth

I have for years taken my own computer and it has several advantages over the ships own computers.

1. You will find more than likely that it is faster (albeit transmission is still the same rate you are not going via the same computer room modem /jungle.

2. If you have a Balcony or Mini (if you have an owner’s suite you wouldn’t need to bother with this ololololJ) you can go on in your own room- or go up to one of the lounges

3. Choose a time that the entire ship is not trying to use the computer/internet transmission like Dinner time, Show Time, or if everyone is sea sick J, never go on any computer if the computer room is full

4. Never go on line on your own computer or the ships when the weather is bad /heavy overcast- a great guide is if the TV is not getting reception also

5. Use a Webmail service to go to your account and delete all the “Spam/Junk” quickly or emails that a large volume and would be slow to download then

6. Go on and allow your program ( Outlook as a example) to download all your emails, then LOG OFF immediately

7. Read your emails and those that need to be replied to

8. Open a word document and write your replies to all the emails & save ( save because if the computer is slow or down you have them in a document)

9. All you do is cut and paste from Word to the emails and OR make your own new ones & send

10. Depending on how quickly you think while you are on line and how quickly you type a emails WILL absolutely increase your REAL time online from say a 1 hour package to the equivalent of 3-8 hours once you get the hang of it.

Hope this helps for those who want to be prudent in ship internet usage

( the same would obviously apply if you were using a Android tablet etc);):)

PS,if some hours are between whne you did your last "webmail" download and when you are ready to go back on and send you emails then go to webmail again and clear anything that is in there and treat those emails you do want as "next day" emals and relpies, that way you are not wasting more time downloading what you do not want and trying to answer them on the hop when you go back on

Edited by dropanchor

I read a tip from another poster and thought that it was kind of cool idea so thought that I will share.

The Dollar Stores sell those 2 to a pack airfresheners on a string. They are in the Auto asile and are meant to be hung from rearview car mirrors. The poster brought these and tied them to something in the bathroom.

It takes up such little space, costs next to nothing and is a great idea to keep the bathroom smelling fresh.

I may use this idea and throw one in the dirty clothes bag as well.

I read a tip from another poster and thought that it was kind of cool idea so thought that I will share.

The Dollar Stores sell those 2 to a pack airfresheners on a string. They are in the Auto asile and are meant to be hung from rearview car mirrors. The poster brought these and tied them to something in the bathroom.

It takes up such little space, costs next to nothing and is a great idea to keep the bathroom smelling fresh.

I may use this idea and throw one in the dirty clothes bag as well.

There are much classier remedies for this issue:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQPqjgBHzsYtPR0TIvoZhebb2BODCX7wMkOBX6QhuJQGMJTF0os

What more can one say? :D

There are much classier remedies for this issue:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQPqjgBHzsYtPR0TIvoZhebb2BODCX7wMkOBX6QhuJQGMJTF0os

What more can one say? :D

Wow, how rude. This is a thread on Thrifty items and I was sharing what I thought was a neat idea, AND one that not only saved paking space but also would not spill in the luggage.

I'm not too good to shop at the Dollar Store, and how much one spends on an item has nothing to do with class.

Manners have to do with class. :rolleyes:

And BTW, the hang-up air fresheners are not just for potty smells, the small closed in bathrooms on the ships often emit a damp-musty smell.

Edited by Hoosiercouple

Wow, how rude. This is a thread on Thrifty items and I was sharing what I thought was a neat idea, AND one that not only saved paking space but also would not spill in the luggage.

I'm not too good to shop at the Dollar Store, and how much one spends on an item has nothing to do with class.

Manners have to do with class. :rolleyes:

Oh C'mon! It was a joke!

• 3 weeks later...
Hi, I just saw them in the Dollar Tree today. Definitely in the closet organization section next to the clothespins. There are 3 different sizes that I could find. One was about 3" tall and the size of a sheet of paper, the others were same sizes but 6" taller and didn't see how big the largest was. They are wrapped in a plastic package and some were hanging, others on bottom shelf. The actual package for the small one is about 4 x 6", because it's all folded up. There are a variety of patterns but all in Navy or burgandy color scheme. They are very cheap papery fabric. Would not use them in my house, but would be perfect for containing things in drawer on ship or inside the safe and then left behind for trash. $1 each.

Hi, I went on this trip last year,love love loved it.I took a draw string mesh laundry bag from $ store.I packed my hubbies things in it to travel unloaded it in our cabin,hung it on a hanger for all the laundry to take to the laundryroom,which was across the hall from our room.Very handy to have it all together,I also took sheets of laundry soap and dryer sheets.Packed flat and handy to have. I am going to Alaska in May.Checking out on this site to see if I can get tips on clothes to take etc. Enjoy your cruise!!!!:)

That's a great tip on the rain ponchos. This is an item that most people don't think of UNTIL it's raining.(and then they wont be a dollar either, we paid $10 a piece at Disney) For $1 and the little space that it will take in a suitcase, this will be a must buy item.

When I was in the Dollar Tree the other day they were putting out some of their summer Luau type party decorations. It gave me some really good ides for decorating our cabin door. They had a really nice selection of tropical, pink flamingo and tiki type things.

Decorating your cabin door ??? I say something about the Meet & Mingle door signs but didn't think others would really decorate their cabin doors.

We are eloping and I'm thinking of getting a little Just Married decor for our room. and maybe use that for a photo op at the Meet & Mingle party.

• 2 weeks later...
Rather than throwing things in the trash or leaving on the ship, take most all of what you would throw or leave with you into the last port and give it to the locals. They would be really blessed by it.

Someone mentioned that earlier, but another poster commented that we might have a hard time getting off the ship with a bag of clothes (customs, etc.). Besides, I can't imagine getting hubby to take precious time off of our sightseeing to lug around a bag of stuff and try to find someone who would like it.

Now, what would be nice is to have Goodwill-type bins on the pier that say "unwanted clothes/items" or something similar :) I don't think that's up to the cruiseline, that would be a "port thing".

• 2 weeks later...

My battery operated candles have disappeared so wanted to get some for our next cruises - if you have a Hobby Lobby in your area they have them on sale 50% off. I got a real nice set of three including batteries that last for 90 hours for $4.50. These are really nice in the room and are so pretty with their flickering light.

I like the battery tea lights. At the Dollar Tree you can get a pkg of 3, each lasting 60 hrs. Actually, one lasted for the whole 14 day cruise! We would turn it on before bed, leaving it on in the bathroom. That way we could avoid turning on the overhead light, that can only be turned on before the door closes. They give off just enough light without being bothersome to us while we sleep, and not blinding us for the return trip back to bed.

Nicci

I like the battery tea lights. At the Dollar Tree you can get a pkg of 3, each lasting 60 hrs. Actually, one lasted for the whole 14 day cruise! We would turn it on before bed, leaving it on in the bathroom. That way we could avoid turning on the overhead light, that can only be turned on before the door closes. They give off just enough light without being bothersome to us while we sleep, and not blinding us for the return trip back to bed.

Nicci

On occasion when we have a verandah, we use the verandah light and leave it on all night, with drapes closed to some extent of course.

We have found the collapsible hampers (dollar store, walmart) folds flat takes little room, keeps clothes in one place until time to pack and disembark.

small plastic trays are good for organizing makeup and keeps things from rolling around. also convenient for a place to empty your pockets at night. easy to reload in the mornings.

On occasion when we have a verandah, we use the verandah light and leave it on all night, with drapes closed to some extent of course.

So, you are the one that does that ?

Before your next cruise, you may want to reconsider this. You are affecting your neighbors with that light shinning all night for you. Not a good idea at all.

So, you are the one that does that ?

Before your next cruise, you may want to reconsider this. You are affecting your neighbors with that light shinning all night for you. Not a good idea at all.

That is exactly what I was going to say.