5 things you wish you'd known on your first cruise

:eek::eek: I paid all of £5 for mine. I've been robbed :D

Berwyn

Hi Berwyn

This is the story of my life. When I buy something I have to torture myself by going round all the shops 'til I find it cheaper, then moaning about it.:D:D Still it's a good bargain IF they'll take the weight of a heavy suitcase, it's not much to lose (£1) if they don't.

Jan

Hi Berwyn

This is the story of my life. When I buy something I have to torture myself by going round all the shops 'til I find it cheaper, then moaning about it.:D:D Still it's a good bargain IF they'll take the weight of a heavy suitcase, it's not much to lose (£1) if they don't.

Jan

If they're spring ones like mine, they work fine. I try not to look anymore so I can't moan, but it is difficult.

Berwyn

You missed a chance there Jan,

In view of interest in them on here you could have bought a load for £1 and sold them on here at £2.99 minimum. Made a tidy profit. :D

Berwyn

That's why I'm poor. You need a ruthless streak in business and I'm too soft. But..... then again..:D:D. Actually we even made a loss on a sale on ebay once. Didn't factor in the weight of bubble wrap, it sounds stupid but it just knocked it over the weight limit of the Post Office and had to pay another £3. Learnt a lesson there.

Jan

That's why I'm poor. You need a ruthless streak in business and I'm too soft. But..... then again..:D:D. Actually we even made a loss on a sale on ebay once. Didn't factor in the weight of bubble wrap, it sounds stupid but it just knocked it over the weight limit of the Post Office and had to pay another £3. Learnt a lesson there.

Jan

I had the same problem on Amazon Marketplace. Tried selling books, but they cost so much to send I lost out. Stuck to CD's after that. Much lighter to post and get better prices.

Berwyn

Thanks everyone for all your tips. When I started this thread I didn't think I'd get such a great response and the number of views have been unbelievable.

Anyone got anymore tips before we all get ready for the summer season? Good hangover cures anyone ? :D:D

Just been through the whole thread again Jan and there's one tip missing that I have seen posted several times elsewhere.

TO save weight buy as much of your toileteries as you can in Boots in the terminal after going through check in and security.

They will already have weighed your bags by then and any additional weight won't be counted.

Berwyn

A nice greasy cooked breakfast with runny fried eggs :D

Berwyn

Now that's just not funny. Actually it is, you forgot the black pudding with a large portion of tripe. :eek:

Jan

Now that's just not funny. Actually it is, you forgot the black pudding with a large portion of tripe. :eek:

Jan

Nothing wrong with some nice Bury black pudding, but I'll pass on the tripe thank you :D.

They had good B P on the Royal Caribbean ship in June. There was only me and a German chap eating it I think. The fact that the label on it said blood pudding.

Anyway there was more for us. :D

Berwyn

Nothing wrong with some nice Bury black pudding, but I'll pass on the tripe thank you :D.

They had good B P on the Royal Caribbean ship in June. There was only me and a German chap eating it I think. The fact that the label on it said blood pudding.

Anyway there was more for us. :D

Berwyn

You're right you do have a stomach like a dustbin :eek:. My mother used to eat both of those, so even the thought of them is......

Anyone got any tips that don't include the above? :D:D

Jan

You're right you do have a stomach like a dustbin :eek:. My mother used to eat both of those, so even the thought of them is......

Anyone got any tips that don't include the above? :D:D

Jan

How about some cow heel?:eek: No I deffo don't eat that.

No seriously. We've mentioned adapter plugs and 4 way extensions, but make sure you don't forget to pack the actual power cables for each appliance you are taking in the last minute packing panic.

Berwyn

How about some cow heel?:eek: No I deffo don't eat that.

No seriously. We've mentioned adapter plugs and 4 way extensions, but make sure you don't forget to pack the actual power cables for each appliance you are taking in the last minute packing panic.

Berwyn

Hi Berwyn

Do the extensions actually work as I could hardly get any power for my hairdryer. Would it be better just to hire one? and if so are they more powerful? I know you've hired in the past.

Oh! please no more disgusting trotters!!:eek::eek:

Jan

Hi Berwyn

Do the extensions actually work as I could hardly get any power for my hairdryer. Would it be better just to hire one? and if so are they more powerful? I know you've hired in the past.

Oh! please no more disgusting trotters!!:eek::eek:

Jan

Yes the extensions are fine. I take the standard 4 socket one from home. We had the ship's hairdryer on the Island Escape it worked OK. It saves the trouble of carrying your own. It's usually the ship's power that's the problem that causes low temperatures on hairdryers and straighteners.

But the extension lead is fine for charging up your camera, phone and netbook batteries.

Berwyn.

No Cow heel not pig's trotters. We saw it in the market in Burnley once, it looked worse than tripe.

http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://www.bbc.co.uk/lancashire/content/images/2006/11/23/cow_heel470_470x300.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.bbc.co.uk/lancashire/content/image_galleries/flavours_of_lancashire_gallery.shtml%3F11&usg=__g0vv6YJ5u0WCP4ZoE7cBAi1aJDw=&h=300&w=470&sz=26&hl=en&start=1&itbs=1&tbnid=m1Y29V6HlEZmYM:&tbnh=82&tbnw=129&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dcow%2Bheel%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DG%26gbv%3D2%26tbs%3Disch:1

I had roast pig's trotters in Austria once, 1973, very tasty it was too. Never had them again

Berwyn

Edited by Cymro1953

Ok, so I am now very confuzzled :confused: definately not hard for me, haha

I am curious about this as I need to bring my own hair dryer as I have long and very thick hair - nice for the evening but drives me mad!!!

I did notice the power cut out - so is this why we need to bring power leads - 4 way - dont they weigh quite alot in the case though?

More advice would be good -just need to remember it all :eek:

:D

Ok, so I am now very confuzzled :confused: definately not hard for me, haha

I am curious about this as I need to bring my own hair dryer as I have long and very thick hair - nice for the evening but drives me mad!!!

I did notice the power cut out - so is this why we need to bring power leads - 4 way - dont they weigh quite alot in the case though?

More advice would be good -just need to remember it all :eek:

:D

Hi Mandie,

You only need the extension lead if you need to run more that 1 electrical item at a time. For example we'll have 2 mobiles, a still camera, video camera and netbook to charge up.

If you only want to use 1 thing at a time like your hairdryer just bring the foreign adapters as usual for a holiday.

Berwyn

Hi Mandie,

You only need the extension lead if you need to run more that 1 electrical item at a time. For example we'll have 2 mobiles, a still camera, video camera and netbook to charge up.

If you only want to use 1 thing at a time like your hairdryer just bring the foreign adapters as usual for a holiday.

Berwyn

Hiya Berwyn

Haha, bring one thing - thats an understatement - this list is endless, lol

Which is the best extension lead that doesnt weigh that much ?

Hmmm, just have to resolve the cutting out power problem, lol

:eek:

Hiya Berwyn

Haha, bring one thing - thats an understatement - this list is endless, lol

Which is the best extension lead that doesnt weigh that much ?

Hmmm, just have to resolve the cutting out power problem, lol

:eek:

Hi Mandie,

We just take the one from home like the one in the pic below.

You don't need one with a long lead on it, it's the extra sockets you're looking for, not one with a long cable reaching across the cabin

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/9823051/Trail/searchtext%3EEXTENSION+LEAD.htm

This is the problem with everything coming with built in rechargeable batteries now.

Berwyn

This is the problem with everything coming with built in rechargeable batteries now.

Berwyn

Haha, the last time I looked my hairdryer did not come with rechargeable batteries :eek:

Have I finally lost the plot - AGAIN!!!

Haha, the last time I looked my hairdryer did not come with rechargeable batteries :eek:

Have I finally lost the plot - AGAIN!!!

NO problem Mandie,

I've got one just like you here :D

You know what I mean, at one time the only electric things you'd need worry about was the hairdryer and an electric razor for the men.

Now it's gone OTT!

Berwyn

Asda, wine, bucket, eggs on my shopping list now. Just thinking about my birthday list.:D:D

Mandie!

Does that mean you've made your mind up to go? Please say yes.

Jan