Future Cruise Credit Clarification

asctony

FYI - We cruise Princess yearly and normally book a cruise while on a Princess ship. We have a Future Cruise Credit dated July 04, 2007 and tired to book a cruise today (March 29, 2010) for a cruise in August 04, 2011. However, Princess said that the FCC is not valid past July 04, 2011. You must sail/cruise before July 04, 2011.

During that period 2007 - 2010 - we have sailed on the Star, Emerald, Sapphire, Ruby and Diamond.

The verbiage in the letter is: 'This credit is valid for four years from the date of issue.' This does not mean that you can book a cruise before that date. It means you must sial/cruise before that four year date. Princess states that 'you must sail/cruise before that date.'

Another change is that you can no longer get credit for people using only 1 FCC as in the past. I believe that has been in effect for a while.

So we will get our $100.00 FCC deposit back.

So be careful and watch your dates on any FCC.

If you have not already requested a refund, you may want to call Captain's Circle number and tell them that newer FCCs were applied to cruises while older ones sat unused and see if they will extend the date.

Theoretically, they should apply the older ones first but who knows how things are done.

Princess has changed their "text" a few times in reference to FCCs.

I actually didn't know that.

We bought a FCC on our Crown Princess cruise last year, and just assumed we had until that date to make the booking. Good to know.

Personally, I don't have a problem with that - it's unlikely that FCC will sit around collecting dust for long!

The FCC's have always required sailing within four years. I don't understand why you had not used the old one for a previous cruise

Princess fixed their system to require each person to have their own FCC. From what you say this did not matter to you since you did not have one for the cruise you wanted.

Now the small print reads:

"...If you do not use your future cruise deposit in the allocated four years, it will automatically be refunded back in the form it was purchased."

I wish they would amend it to say:

"If you do not use the future cruise deposit on a cruise and sail within four years, it will automatically be refunded back in the form it was purchased."

Sure would be a lot clearer than "allocated" because many people translate that to mean you must book a cruise within four years. :cool:

The FCC's have always required sailing within four years. I don't understand why you had not used the old one for a previous cruise

Princess fixed their system to require each person to have their own FCC. From what you say this did not matter to you since you did not have one for the cruise you wanted.

I am really not worried about this issue. as I will get my money ($100) back. Going on a Princess cruise next month so I can get an FCC for that 2011 cruise onboard.

However, where does it say that you are required to sail within four years? I quoted the Future Cruise Sales letter as stated.

Another question you asked - You don't understand why I had not used the old one for a previous cruise? Princess apparently does not use the oldest FCC first.

Princess fixed their system to require each person to have their own FCC. - my letter states at the bottom. 'This offer applies to the first two passengers in stateroom only, and is not applicable to upper berth passengers.'

So, Princess did not fix it, they changed it to eliminate the use of 1 FCC for the first two passengers in a stateroom.

I am sure they are various forms/letters with different verbiage that have been used over the years.

Warmest Regards, LOL

FCC's will be listed on your Princess Personalier under your Circle Savings account. Each one listed will have a 'sail by' date next to it. ;)

I check them after each reservation is made to be sure my TA and Princess are using the old ones.

You can still use one FCC to book two people, you just pay the $100 deposit for the 2nd person and you only get one OBC.

I believe that is incorrect. Princess made a change in September, 2009 (or there abouts) to require that each person have an FCC to get the FCC benefits.

I still say the verbiage on the FCC itself should be very clear that you must sail within four years. As it is now, it is very vague. Many people do not check their account online to see the "sail by" date.

Princess, if you're reading this, please be more precise with your wording on the FCC letters passengers are given after booking them onboard. Thanks.

FCC's will be listed on your Princess Personalier under your Circle Savings account. Each one listed will have a 'sail by' date next to it. ;)

Only if you're lucky enough to have a Circle Savings account that works -- I'm Platinum and the Princess website still says I have yet to cruise . . . hmm, maybe that's why I keep getting upgrades -- in their eyes, I'm always a first-timer! Maybe I better not rock the boat -- no pun intended.

OP, I appreciate the heads-up. I don't often have more than one FCC at any time but I do at present and it would never have occured to me that Princess wouldn't automatially use the oldest one first. I'll be mindful of that going forward -- thanks again for sharing your story.

I still say the verbiage on the FCC itself should be very clear that you must sail within four years. As it is now, it is very vague. Many people do not check their account online to see the "sail by" date.

Princess, if you're reading this, please be more precise with your wording on the FCC letters passengers are given after booking them onboard. Thanks.

It seems Princess has always had a problem with the wording on their FCC's though, look at in the past, where they said each was good for the first two passengers onboard and the loophole was found for booking only using one, plus the $100 and both got the shipboard credit, for years. lol

What most of my clients do when they're ready to book is say, "I have 3 FCCs. I want to use #007891732 this time." When I call in to make the bookings, I am very, very careful to make sure that the FCC they want is actually used. I really don't think it should be up the the passengers to do this; Princess should have a something in their computer that automatically picks the oldest FCC.

I believe that is incorrect. Princess made a change in September, 2009 (or there abouts) to require that each person have an FCC to get the FCC benefits.

I booked two cruises in the past month using one for the two of us and paying the extra $100. Both confirmed that it's just one OBC but paying the extra $100 for DH worked fine. I believe this was also confirmed a few times back last year when the changes took place.

I booked two cruises in the past month using one for the two of us and paying the extra $100. Both confirmed that it's just one OBC but paying the extra $100 for DH worked fine. I believe this was also confirmed a few times back last year when the changes took place.

I agree with you. It is still possible to do it this way, the second person just does not receive the shipboard credit, but it can still be booked using only one FCC for two passengers.

I agree with you. It is still possible to do it this way, the second person just does not receive the shipboard credit, but it can still be booked using only one FCC for two passengers.

Which was very handy as I only had one left ;)

What most of my clients do when they're ready to book is say, "I have 3 FCCs. I want to use #007891732 this time." When I call in to make the bookings, I am very, very careful to make sure that the FCC they want is actually used. I really don't think it should be up the the passengers to do this; Princess should have a something in their computer that automatically picks the oldest FCC.

Totally agree with you that Princess should have it coded in their system to automatically pick up the oldest FCC. But, stop and think about it, that would require a program change or Princess could loose money that way.

Would Princess really want to loose a customer over $100.00? How many times do we read on this forum that Princess will allow anything (dress formal/smart casual on formal nights) than say something to affend or loose a customer.

The cruise I was booking was a 12 day Europe cruise. That is a little more than $100.00. LOL I know what I would do if I were in business now. I sure would not urinate a client off to allow them to use $100.00 they paid to book a cruise for $x,000.00 per client. Really a no Brainer.

I am really just trying to get the information out to others. I am not a newbee on this forum or new to cruising. Have a lot of Princess cruises and days.

So when buying a FCC - Buyer BeWare!!

I've always provided the number of the FCC to the travel agent that I'd like to use, I wouldn't expect Princess or the TA to do anything automatically. What I would like them to change is their online booking to accept FCCs rather than having to put in a credit card for the deposit.

We always have several FCC in our account. When I am getting ready to book a cruise, I look up the number of the two oldest FCC. I give those numbers to my TA and tell her that I want to aplly these teo oldest FCC's and that these are the numbers I want to use. I have never had a problem.

I'm looking at my most recent FCC letter. It says right at the top:

Effective Date:

Sail By Date:

I just shredded my last 4 letters, so I can't say what those said, but the newer ones are quite specific that it is SAIL BY.

We have always stated the FCC ID number of the particular FCC we wanted to use. Even if they supposedly change their system to do that, I will continue to do so; I certainly don't trust any system to be foolproof, human or computer (which is, after all, subject to human error).

I've always provided the number of the FCC to the travel agent that I'd like to use, I wouldn't expect Princess or the TA to do anything automatically. What I would like them to change is their online booking to accept FCCs rather than having to put in a credit card for the deposit.

Ditto!!!

I'm looking at my most recent FCC letter. It says right at the top:

Effective Date:

Sail By Date:

I just shredded my last 4 letters, so I can't say what those said, but the newer ones are quite specific that it is SAIL BY.

We have always stated the FCC ID number of the particular FCC we wanted to use. Even if they supposedly change their system to do that, I will continue to do so; I certainly don't trust any system to be foolproof, human or computer (which is, after all, subject to human error).

Apparently they have changed the format and text in the letters as yours does show a Sail By Date. So, legally since my does not have that 'Sail By Date' where is my lawyer? LOL

No, seriously, I am not angry with Princess and I will cruise with them next month and many more times. But like everything we do - there are always slight differences. Be careful. I wonder how many people never knew this? We always have those that know it all until something like this happens to them.

Happy Booking FCCs.

Exactly what I did and for the same reasons.

Only if you're lucky enough to have a Circle Savings account that works -- I'm Platinum and the Princess website still says I have yet to cruise . . . hmm, maybe that's why I keep getting upgrades -- in their eyes, I'm always a first-timer! Maybe I better not rock the boat -- no pun intended.

The same for me. I thought it was because we're international (non-UK non-OZ). Since you're a run-of-the-mill USA passenger (not a run-of-the-mill PERSON lol) I guess it's not that. I was in contact with Captain's Circle by email, but they haven't done anything about the situation.

Shalom, Andy.

Archived