New to Royal - Questions about upgrading at the port!

I just booked the FOS for May 2nd. I only booked an inside cabin and was wondering if they offer upgrades at the port and how much the it cost to go to a balcony room.

Thanks!

It will depend on the availability of balcony rooms and it is unlikely to prove to be a bargain and very unlikely that it will be a free upgrade. The price can also vary depending on the ship. If you will be unhappy in the stateroom that you have booked and want to sail in a balcony stateroom, book it beforehand to avoid disappointment.:)

It will depend on the availability of balcony rooms and it is unlikely to prove to be a bargain and very unlikely that it will be a free upgrade. The price can also vary depending on the ship. If you will be unhappy in the stateroom that you have booked and want to sail in a balcony stateroom, book it beforehand to avoid disappointment.:)

I actually have never had a balcony room; so that said I'm sure I will be happy with what ever room I'm in.

I have only sailed with Disney and know that you can upgrade at the port (if available) for a deeply discounted rate and didn't know if this was common practice in the cruise industry.

I can tell you that every cruise we've been on and every cruise we've heard of from other people, there are hardly ever any upgrades available. Especially the balcony cabins. They usually go first.

"The Ship Is Full" is what you'll see most likely.

If you want to experience the balcony cabin ( and it is really great and worth the difference), then you should pick one out now and get it. ;)

Hope This Helps.

Actually, there are set rates for upgrading at the pier which are the same for all ships and depend upon the length of the trip. For 7 nights, it would be $800 per cabin to go from an inside to a balcony.

Having said that, it's been years since I've heard of anyone actually being able to snag an upgrade at the pier since many ships are now sailing full and upgrades are first offered to D+ members. Can't hurt to ask, though.

We sailed on the Liberty of the Seas on 2/28/2010 out of Miami. Another couple that was with us, but sailing in a different cabin, asked the pier coordinator about an upgrade. They were told that the pier coordinator there did not handle upgrades anymore.

If the ship is not full and a balcony cabin is available, they will be happy to sell you the balcony cabin for the rate they offer you. It will not be a bargain. We stopped using the travel agent we used 2 times, when she booked us in an inside and said we would have no problem upgrading at the pier....she made it sound so easy and doable and we didnt know any better at the time.

Archived