QM2 Transatlantic Crossing Question

Sweetpea711423

I have done a number of wonderful westbound transatlantic crossings on the QE2. One of the highlights was always passing by the Statue of Liberty. I have started getting over my trauma of the QE2's retirement, and am considering a westbound transatlantic crossing on the QM2. I understand it docks in Brooklyn, and as a result does not go by the Statue of Liberty. Can anyone tell me what the ship goes by in its approach to Brooklyn, and on which side do you prefer your cabin to be on?

Many thanks in advance for any help.

I have done a number of wonderful westbound transatlantic crossings on the QE2. One of the highlights was always passing by the Statue of Liberty. I have started getting over my trauma of the QE2's retirement, and am considering a westbound transatlantic crossing on the QM2. I understand it docks in Brooklyn, and as a result does not go by the Statue of Liberty. Can anyone tell me what the ship goes by in its approach to Brooklyn, and on which side do you prefer your cabin to be on?

Port side is best as you go under the bridge and then turn to the right. You still get a good view of the SOL but about 300 yards away.

With the QM2 being so big there is the top deck "squeze" under the Verrazano narrows bridge.. get up early.. go up to top deck and there is a raised platform a good place to go under the bridge.

You sail not that far from the statue of liberty and from the front observation deck is a good vantage point. Port side is probably the better side for Westbounds (most of the sun everyday), also entering New York the QM2 turns right giving good pictures of the Manhattan skyline.

Fred.

The QM2 does go by the Statue of Liberty as it enters the NY/NJ harbor area. The Statue is off lower Manhattan on the New Jersey side. Brooklyn is across the water on the other side of lower Manhattan. As you approach the Brooklyn port, you will have views of lower Manhattan and the bridges crossing between Manhattan and Brooklyn. :)

Actually, the ship still passes the Statue of liberty off to the port side. It then comes up to a point below Governers Island, completes a 180 degree turn and backs up to the dock at Red Hook brooklyn. Feel free to enjoy your return to NYC from the deck of QM2.

I have done it several times and cannot help but remembering the famous Emma Lasarus. Part of which is here "Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to be free, the wretched refuse of your teaming shore. Send these the homeless tempest tossed to me. I lift my lamp beside the golden door."

It brings a tear every time, and makes me feel more welcome even in my homeland.

Mike

As the ships sailin under the bridge she dows pass the SOL, maybe not quite as close, she will turn and dock in red hook, from there you wil a great view of the statue and of NYC.

as for a cabin it would be port side for the view of the statue, but we alwats pop up on deck for the view with a crowd, also as we have insides for a TA we wouldnt see anything:)

The Brooklyn Cruise Terminal is across from Governors Island, just before the Brooklyn Bridge. You can see the Statue of Liberty as the ship approaches the terminal but I don't know if you can see the statue when the ship is at the terminal.

The passage under the Verranzano Narrows bridge is exciting - QM2 does a 180 degree turn to have the bow downstream when she docks.

If you like the sun in the morning, get a cabin on the port side.

I did not get up to the top decks to see if I could see the Statue when we were docked - will find out this November though on a B2B TA.

Do try QM2 - she is a worthy successor to QE2. QM2 does do a better job than QE2 did in handling heavy seas:D

I've booked a westbound transatlantic crossing and have booked a port side stateroom to ensure I get a view of the Statue of Liberty. My understanding is that even though the ship docks in Brooklyn, port side cabins will still have a view of the statue.

I'll be able to confirm this for you, either way, in October. :)

You have hit upon one of the sad things about the Red Hook facility. The ship does not go anywhere near the Statue of Liberty and you really do not even get a good look at Manhatten. Of course the ship does still pass under the Verrazano Bridge and you will have land on both sides of the ship, but for those who have cruised to the Hudson River cruise terminal, this will be a big disappointment.

Hank

Hi Sweetpea,

The QM2 arrives very early in the morning to the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal, usually around 6:30 AM. The ship passes under the Verrazano Bridge around 5:30 AM.

Being on the portside of the bridge will give you an early morning view of the Statue of Liberty and New York harbor. The QE2 then makes a 180 degree turn and backs along the terminal for docking.

Many early morning risers are on the open decks to get a full view of the entrance into New York harbor.

I am sure you will get more responses to your inquiry.

Terrence

Has anyone noticed that the Statue of Liberty looks away from the US?

Of course she is facing away from the US. She is welcoming arriving travelers INTO the US and is facing them.

Engraved on the pedestal is this poem by Emma Lazarus:

The New Colossus

Not like the brazen giant of Greek fame,

With conquering limbs astride from land to land;

Here at our sea-washed, sunset gates shall stand

A mighty woman with a torch, whose flame

Is the imprisoned lightning, and her name

Mother of Exiles. From her beacon-hand

Glows world-wide welcome; her mild eyes command

The air-bridged harbor that twin cities frame.

"Keep ancient lands, your storied pomp!" cries she

With silent lips. "Give me your tired, your poor,

Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,

The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.

Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,

I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

I cant speak for everyone, but , Capt and terrancerichards have done many TAs.

I'm up to eight crossings, and I have two more booked on the QUEEN MARY 2 and the QUEEN ELIZABETH. Also, I just booked on the ROTTERDAM's nine night NYC to Rotterdam crossing with a stop in Cobh during July, 2011. :)

Archived