Where to get girl's hair threaded?

Emmysmomma9

Almost ALL will have braiders somewher...make sure you bring your own comb...you don't want to go home with "creepy-crawlers" (lice!)!

I have heard of that too bring your own comb and make sure you sun screen the scalp after the braids are put in I have seen some nasty sunburns on the scalp after braiding.

I have heard of that too bring your own comb and make sure you sun screen the scalp after the braids are put in I have seen some nasty sunburns on the scalp after braiding.

Good point. I've also seen a few kids in the local hair salon post-cruise having to get those braids "un-braided" and the hair untangled, while Mom comforted them. The price was probably at least twice the price of the braids, if not more. I'm just not a big fan of hair-braiding on ships or in ports, especially for kids.

Good point. I've also seen a few kids in the local hair salon post-cruise having to get those braids "un-braided" and the hair untangled, while Mom comforted them. The price was probably at least twice the price of the braids, if not more. I'm just not a big fan of hair-braiding on ships or in ports, especially for kids.

Nor am I what so ever.....I have long long blonde hair and seem to be a magnet for those hair braiders.....I have never had my hair braid but I can't even look at a braid without getting an instant headache....OUCH!!!

Cheap almost in every port we stopped at. The little girl just had to have it done :D But as others noted beware of sanitation. Perhaps we were both stupid and lucky but we didn't have any problems.

I'm sure the ship offers it for much more, but safer, cleaner I'm sure.

Good luck

Hi-

We're going on Serenade of the Seas next week. Eastern Carib. Do they have people who braid/thread hair on the ship? Any ports?

Thanks!

14_Ashley_getting_braids.jpg.29a18fc3e4ee6323119a9ee66985b468.jpg

15_Ashley_with_her_new_braids.jpg.7f10684b86906b8eb3b172c70af4bbf8.jpg

I've had really long hair for most of my adult life, and often when I go on a water/activity intensive holiday, I braid my hair before I go, and I've done the same many times for my daughter, including our most recent trip in December, which involved a short cruise and a few days of scuba diving. The braids are just so simple to take care of compared with dealing with long wet hair numerous times a day, it's worth the few hours I spend braiding beforehand.

One of the biggest reasons I do the braiding beforehand - and for those who aren't experienced braiders themselves this is something that can be done at a local salon - is that I don't want to spend any time on my vacation waiting for anything. If it were just one braid or one wrap, then I could see it, but to spend the time it takes to do multiple braids when you could be off exploring or participating in a fun activity just seems like a huge waste of precious vacation time to me.

Another reason to do it ahead of time is to have more choices - do you want beads, which beads, how many beads, how many braids, a pattern in the parts... all things that you can think about and plan in advance when you have the time to be in control. I'm sure the locals do a great job, and that they're fast and efficient, but all the ones I've seen have been pretty much the same, straight back from the face, and often don't have beads at all (which I've always thought was part of the fun - and my daughter loves the ones that glow in the dark).

One more thing to consider when thinking about this for a child is whether they're going to like it and leave it in. I was on a tender in one port and watched a mother taking all the brand new braids out of her daughter's hair because the girl had decided she didn't like them and had pulled most of the ties off and had the bottoms undone before the mom realized what she was doing. If you have a 'dry run' at home, it can save you some valuable vacation time and money. Since you can keep them in for at least a couple or three weeks without them looking ratty (the sunscreen helps with regrowth fuzz as well as protecting exposed scalp, too), you can put them in a week or a few days prior to the trip and see how she likes them.

So, basically my advice is to do them before the trip rather than during. Cleanliness is never an issue, you have more control over the whole process and outcome, and you get to 'test' them before you're away. I do highly recommend them for girls whose hair can be difficult, also. They really make for a very relaxed week that might otherwise be sprinkled with difficult hair brushing incidents...

Where is this whole cleanliness thing coming from? They are braiding tourists hair, so unless the tourists have nasty hair and lice the ladies braiding hair are not going to be passing it on. Do you check the supplies of your hair stylist at home? Please ask if they clean out their brushes and combs between appointments. I would guess its unusual, but correct me if I am wrong.

I got my daughter's hair braided in Cozumel (Chankanaab park) and at home before I went. It lasted way longer when done in Mexico. It was great, so easy to maintain and looked so cute.

I would also suggest to confirm price and make sure the beads are included in the price.

I didn't mean to imply that I'm totally against hair-braiding - just that you should be really careful with children, and it would probably be safer to have it done on the ship, or just have one braid done instead of the whole head. Kind of OT, but back in the 80's and 90's, a group of about 30 of us cruised at least once a year. Once on a Celebrity cruise to Antigua, (I think it was on Dickinson Beach), we "persuaded" the husband of one cruiser to get a portion of his chest hair braided, and also "persuaded" an older gentleman in our group to have his comb-over braided. It really was funny, and we had a lovely group picture taken on the last formal night! Tuxes with braids and beads.

I wanted to get my grand daughters hair braided but wanted information before doing so.

Go to www.webshots.com and type in hair braiding in Bahamas and there are over 7 pages of people with braids-- some photos of people who took them out-- (oh my what a mess that looks to be)

I did a google search on hair braiding and hit many reviews of how hard it is to take out-- even with using conditioner

Please do a search and review the situation carefully-

Although it looks awesome-- I dont think thats the hair style for my grand daughter

I had it done in the Bahamas when I was very young and loved it! It was a little uncomfortable getting them put in--they braid the hair very, very tightly--but I felt so cool with my braids and clicking beads!

I don't remember having a bad time taking all of the braids out, either, and my hair is very fine.

Where is this whole cleanliness thing coming from? They are braiding tourists hair, so unless the tourists have nasty hair and lice the ladies braiding hair are not going to be passing it on. Do you check the supplies of your hair stylist at home? Please ask if they clean out their brushes and combs between appointments. I would guess its unusual, but correct me if I am wrong.

Actually all combs and brushes are used once on each customer and then cleaned before the next. Hair stylist do have to follow state recommendations. There are usually containers of "blue stuff" that sit on their stations to clean the combs in between clients. In fact if my hairdressers brush hits the floor she will switch to a new one because you are not supposed to use it if it has hit the floor.

Plus you never know what the person next to you has in terms of lice. They might not even know. I will say in Nassau there is a serious operation of hair braiders. (At least there was 2years ago) They have an operation right next to the port. They even have the "blue stuff" in jars with combs sitting in them. I would bring my own comb just to be safe. As the others have said be sure to confirm a price. The last time I went they were asking $1 a braid for a basic corn row.

• 2 weeks later...

St martin has women on Orient beach pushing braids, but they didn't know about threading and wanted $3 an inch. The ship itself (Rcci) did not offer any. When we arrived in Antigua, there was a hair-braiding stand right off the pier, with prices posted! We went to Susanne who did one threading for my dgtr for $20 ( about 12 inches) with three diff colors and three beads- everyone was happy. We brought a comb along. No sunburn and no lice :)

It has everything to do with the sanitation of the tools after each customer. Even tourists can have head lice and it has nothing to do with cleanliness of the head. I have seen a U.S. salon have to close to sanitize everything when it was discovered that a client in the chair had lice. Lice are much more common than you might think.

Archived