Live from Carnival Dream

PaulMedik

How's the internet speed? Is it closer to dial-up or cable modem/high speed? Makes a difference when you're paying by the minute...

It is nowhere close to cable/DSL. I would imagine that a very fast dial-up would be a good comparison. I have never attempted a speed test while onboard, but that would be a good idea.

How about a SPEED test Paul? In case you don't have any already bookmarked, here are a couple below. They can vary greatly, and both of my sons are online (gaming) which impacts my speeds at this point... so I ran each test twice!

SPEEDTEST.NET (this one just returned my speed as 12.9, then 15.1 Mb/s)

SPEAKEASY.NET (this one just returned my speed as 9.9 then 7.5 Mb/s)

BANDWIDTHPLACE.COM (this one just returned my speed as 7.7 then 10.2 Mb/s)

I wonder if sites such as those are BLOCKED onboard?

Tom

It is nowhere close to cable/DSL. I would imagine that a very fast dial-up would be a good comparison. I have never attempted a speed test while onboard, but that would be a good idea.

How about a SPEED test Paul? In case you don't have any already bookmarked, here are a couple below. They can vary greatly, and both of my sons are online (gaming) which impacts my speeds at this point... so I ran each test twice!

SPEEDTEST.NET (this one just returned my speed as 12.9, then 15.1 Mb/s)

SPEAKEASY.NET (this one just returned my speed as 9.9 then 7.5 Mb/s)

BANDWIDTHPLACE.COM (this one just returned my speed as 7.7 then 10.2 Mb/s)

I wonder if sites such as those are BLOCKED onboard?

Tom

NAA ,you hit the nail on the head !;)

hey paul. enjoy your cruise. please post all that you can. i only booked this a coupla days ago on the quick and now all i'm seeing are horrible reviews -- both here and on the CCL site -- rocking; listing; unhappy crew; disorganized/disinterested crew; bad flow in lido restaurant, etc.

usually the bad reviews are tempered with good ones, and i can weed out what, to me, might be nonsense. but so far, the bad reviews on dream are dominating.

hoping you bring good news.:)

Not to worry....I've got nothing but horrible reviews on several ships right before I cruised and those seemed like turn out the best....lol.....so not to worry...My Dream Team boards her on the 24th....we'll let ya know.;)

However...PAUL..I'll believe your opinion....lol.....Have fun!:D

Hi Guys! I was on the Dream in January and it was great...Trish, don't believe everything you read! Just you and Michael on your cruise or do the kids get to go? Randy are we there yet??

Hi Guys! I was on the Dream in January and it was great...Trish, don't believe everything you read! Just you and Michael on your cruise or do the kids get to go? Randy are we there yet??

Absolutely - it is so much an issue of attitude and self-fulfilling expectations. If you expect to have a terrible time, guess what???:eek: My Feb journey was wonderful - worst thing I saw was a woman standing up and snapping her fingers at a Lido staff person because she wanted her dirty saucer removed. Excuse me, woman!!!! In other words, the bad behaviors came from the "guests" who have an overinflated sense of entitlement. Do unto others!!!

Enjoy yourself - you are in charge of having a good time!!!!!!!!!!:):):):)

My brother-in-law will be in same cabin on 8-21 and we will be next door in 6477. If you get a chance see if the divider can be removed between the balconies. Also, any pictures of cabins and balconies and detailed cabin info would be nice. Have a great trip!!

Paul...have a Happy Easter Dreamin'...And a margarita for me at PB tomorrow; they're best at 10:30AM :) Hope those two you met last year aren't still sitting there.:D We're under seven weeks to our second boarding. WooHoo.

crewsweeper,

I shall have that drink for you for sure!

It wouldn't surprise me to see those two still there; they looked like the type that could just sit around for a while.

Paul; Our group has that cabin in late July, take good care for us. Sounds like you are having a great time. Keep up the great work! DaveM

DaveM,

So far we haven't banged it up too bad.....

If you don't mind sharing, what is the cost of the couples spa pass for the week?

I have read that Carnival limits the amount of passes sold and you can only purchase when on board ship not pre cruise.

From what I have also read couples pass means you can share the same sauna unlike other Carnival ships.

This is a new feature we are very interested in.

Thanks.

How is the weather?

Hogladyrider,

The weather has been perfect so far. The seas are actually heavy, but the wind has less than 8 kph so it's not been rough on board. I have pics of our wake disappearing just a hundred yards or so from the ship while traveling at 20 knots. For those who've had aft cabins, you know that when the wake dissappears quickly that the seas are heavy.

We took a quick spa tour on Saturday and then booked it before our guide got into pricing details. I recall reading it was $249 for couples, but I read that hear and not at the spa. I'll check online or at the spa and see. Regardless of price, it's worth it! We went again this eveniing before dinner and we ended up spending three hours in the dinning room; you might say we were a little more relaxed than most. :p Our requested server was Zorro and he's an excellent waiter, very quick and friendly. It might sound like he wasn't quick, but he picked up on us not being in a rush and we chatted quite a bit. He and Britt waited tables together and passed out Easter candy. Zorro and Karen danced for the late seating dinning room show.

Tom,

771881613.png

Download 1.0 Mb/s

Upload 0.23 Mb/s

Ping 1163ms.

Obviously I chose the fastest time to test the speeds, because they aren't normally that fast. The ping, which is sloooow, is likely accurate for anytime at 1163ms. My boys are also online gamers and a ping of 63ms is as slow as they like to play. We have a 7GB and a 20GB connection at home just to keep everything running quick. :o

Tom,

771881613.png

Download 1.0 Mb/s

Upload 0.23 Mb/s

Ping 1163ms.

Obviously I chose the fastest time to test the speeds, because they aren't normally that fast. The ping, which is sloooow, is likely accurate for anytime at 1163ms. My boys are also online gamers and a ping of 63ms is as slow as they like to play. We have a 7GB and a 20GB connection at home just to keep everything running quick. :o

Thanks -- that's faster than I thought. I will have to make this a periodic test myself while on board!

Make sure you try the FIVE SPICE DRY RUB BONELESS PRIME RIBEYE in Chef's Art!!! :D

Tom

Can't wait to follow your review all week. Thanks for taking time out of your vacation to fill us in on all the fun you are having. Sounds like a great time. I can't wait to be on the Dream in just a few short weeks. Have a great day and I will check back for an update later.

Love the live updates, thanks, I have a cove balcony booked for Oct, I can not wait.

I plan on having a wonderful time, it's better then working my 2 jobs, lol.

No one can get me down with bad reports, your cruise is what you make it.

Enjoy and have a wonderful time, and bring back lots of pictures.

Thanks -- that's faster than I thought. I will have to make this a periodic test myself while on board!

Make sure you try the FIVE SPICE DRY RUB BONELESS PRIME RIBEYE in Chef's Art!!! :D

Tom

Tom,

I´ll give ´em a try if I can find some room; I am waaay stuffed! :D

Paul have a wonderful cruise and I can't wait to read your review and see your pics. You did a great job on your back to back Destiny cruise.

hill6,

Thank you.

Did you find that wad of bills I left in the safe?? Also had to call a few times about the soot - never wear white outside and always lay a towel on the chair! enjoy

Tracy b,

Yes, and thank you for leaving that behind for us! It will come in handy. :)

Good advice on the soot; more soot than any other ship we´ve sailed, but not enough to call it too much. I´m sure our steward feels that it´s too much.

We docked in Cozumel and were cleared to disembark around 9:40. We came straight to Paradise Beach and we´ve had a great time. Witnessed a prime example of why some people should not be allowed to venture out in public, but I´ll save those details for the full review. What would you suggest for a female of the human species who speaks nothing but trash colored by four letter words and very frequent use of the ´F´word?

Anyhow, we just finished a great lunch at Paradise Beach! Look for pics in the full review. I can barely move now....

Heading back out to the sun for a while then back to the ship. Sailaway is at 6 so it´s a short day for Cozumel. We are the only ship here today which is also unusual.

Paul, I'm beginning to think PB Tom imports these characters just for your visits:rolleyes: I'll wait for your review to hear the tale.

Be sure to have at least a look see at Clip N Zip tomorrow. And ask about their last minute shorter zipping if you're doing other things.

Crew

Thanks for doing this Paul! We are on her in less than 2 weeks and this is getting me even more excited to leave.

I was hoping to do a semi-live thread too - by chance, did they run any specials on purchasing internet time the first day? I'm assuming you have a lappy with you - any connection problems?

Have a wonderful rest of the day in Coz!!

What would you suggest for a female of the human species who speaks nothing but trash colored by four letter words and very frequent use of the ´F´word?

I swear on a stack of Bibles I have not and am not in Mexico right now.

Paul - thanks so much for taking time out of your busy vacation to post another wonderful "live" thread. Did you, by chance, sign up for the "behind the scenes" tour? We also had a great time and lunch at PB in Feb., and loved the "new" water toys they had added since the last time we were there. (Aug.) Don't spend too much of your vacation answering questions - go out and play!

Archived