Looking an itinerary that includes Reykjavik - suggestions?

I'm looking for a cruise that includes a stop in Reykjavik for the summer of 2012. I know that no one has released their 2012 itineraries yet, but would like to start looking now and get an idea who goes there for 2010 & possibly 2011...

We wouldn't be able to do anything over 2 weeks, which from what I can see, eliminates a lot of the cruises.

Anyone have any suggestions?

We will be on the Oceania Marina in July 2011 - it has two stops in Iceland - one of which is Reykjavik. Azamara goes there, too. Most of the other ships only stop there on a transatlantic crossing.

We're taking a 12-day Princess cruise on the Crown in July 2010 which stops in Rekjavik and then in Akureyri the next day, followed by 4 stops in Norway (RT out of Southhampton). We've seen this cruise offered each summer, so it's possible it will be available again in 2012.

Enjoy - I really like that itinerary, but it doesn't appear to be offered in 2011. Instead of Norway they are going to Ireland which might be interesting too...

Oh well, I've got lots of time to research. Maybe more will be added by 2012!

Royal Caribbean's Jewel of the Seas does a transatlantic every September (well at least for the last few and the next two...) that stops in Iceland.

It's a great itinerary but it is 14 days...starts in Harwich and ends in Boston. We've been thinking of doing it the past few years but the timing hasn't worked out...

Going from Iceland to Southampton UK this May on Regent. We are spending a few days pre-cruise in Iceland. They do not do this itinerary every year--it is not there for 2011. Of course, no idea for 2012 yet.

We're on a Holland America Baltic, scotland and Newfoundland Transatlantic starting in Amsterdam on August 19, 2010. This trip stops at Edinburgh, Kirkwall in the Shetland Islands, Torshavn, Faroe Islands, Reykjavic, Iceland, Qaqortoq, Greenland and four ports in Newfoundland and Nova Scotia. This cruise ran at about the same time in 2009, and will probably be available for 2011.

Star Princess does a Baltic 10-day round-trip Copenhagen and Emerald Princess has done this itinerary too. You could fly Icelandic Air (at least from Halifax, don't know if they fly from Ottawa or maybe you could just make a connection in Halifax) and do a stopover in Reykjavik for a couple of days either pre- or post-cruise. That's what we're doing this June.

I'm looking for a cruise that includes a stop in Reykjavik for the summer of 2012.

We wouldn't be able to do anything over 2 weeks, which from what I can see, eliminates a lot of the cruises.

How about a two week cruise 'To the Top of the World' on HAL? This starts in London, takes in parts of Scotland, Faroe Islands, three stops in Iceland and then goes to Spitsbergen, as close as you want to get to the North Pole????? From there it is down the coast of Norway and eventually you end in Amsterdam, the Netherlands!!!!!

We're on a Holland America Baltic, scotland and Newfoundland Transatlantic starting in Amsterdam on August 19, 2010. This trip stops at Edinburgh, Kirkwall in the Shetland Islands, Torshavn, Faroe Islands, Reykjavic, Iceland, Qaqortoq, Greenland and four ports in Newfoundland and Nova Scotia. This cruise ran at about the same time in 2009, and will probably be available for 2011.

I hope HAL has informed you that the ship may need a few repairs when you board on August 19. It has just returned from a trip to the Top of the World with lots of roudy passengers who like to party and keep warm with booze!!!! We will be some of those departing.

This is just a warning so you will not be surprised!! My wife tells me I should not be kidding about this. BUT:

Do you realize that August 19 is the day that the Tall Ships event takes place in Amsterdam? The whole transit from Ijmuiden and the locks from the North Sea to Amsterdam (about 16 miles of canal) would be restricted for this event.

That could mean that the ship does not leave from the Cruise Teminal or at least the following day???

I am curious how this will happen.

I'm looking for a cruise that includes a stop in Reykjavik for the summer of 2012. I know that no one has released their 2012 itineraries yet, but would like to start looking now and get an idea who goes there for 2010 & possibly 2011...

Anyone have any suggestions?

Posting this question on this board has gotten you a few scattered answers from people who did one trip, or have planned one trip, or read about one trip ... but hardly a comprehensive view of the subject.

For a question like this one, absolutely the best advice I can give you is find a good local Travel Agent who is a CLIA Accredited Cruise Counselor (look for the agent's diploma on the wall, not just an agency sticker). Ask your friends and co-workers for a recommendation. The service is entirely free to you. ACC's are trained to find the very best cruise for you, after learning your personal situation and preferences, and work hard to get you the very best rate.

The TA has access to the best booking engines available and will be able to give you many suggestions and help you sort through all the choices.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
Going from Iceland to Southampton UK this May on Regent. We are spending a few days pre-cruise in Iceland. They do not do this itinerary every year--it is not there for 2011. Of course, no idea for 2012 yet.

Our cruise in Sept will stop in Iceland. Do you have any recommendations for tours. We will only be there 1 day. Did you find any problems from the volcano?

Fly Iceland Air and get off at Reyakvik (sp). Spend a few days on the island and then continue on with the flight to Europe and catch a cruise there. At least that way you can actually spend time on Iceland and see its amazing landscapes.

Fly Iceland Air and get off at Reyakvik (sp). Spend a few days on the island and then continue on with the flight to Europe and catch a cruise there. At least that way you can actually spend time on Iceland and see its amazing landscapes.

Actually that was exactly the choice we made a few years ago when we researched this same question.

You can see the great time we had in Iceland at

http://www.elite.net/~thehalls/iceland.html

Have a GREAT cruise!

Actually that was exactly the choice we made a few years ago when we researched this same question.

Have a GREAT cruise!

I am so sad that Icland Air no longer flies out of O'hare. I flew them when I was going to Germany for a year of university. They landed in Luxembourg and then had a shuttle bus to Mannheim and Frankfurt which was ideal since I was attending University of Mannheim. We only got about an hour in the small airport as a layover.

I enjoyed your travelog of your trip. :)

• 1 month later...

Have a GREAT cruise!

thanx for your link. I think you convinced us to go iceland air and spend 2 nights, before heading to Copenhagen. You always post nice pics, etc. I look forward to seeing them on the threads.

Linda

Our cruise in Sept will stop in Iceland. Do you have any recommendations for tours. We will only be there 1 day. Did you find any problems from the volcano?

We spent 12 days in Iceland in May. The volcano was quiet and there were no flight problems. We got some pictures when we drove by, but there was very little activity. If you only have a day to spend in the port, the "Golden Circle Tour" wins by a longshot, followed by a visit to the Blue Lagoon. The Golden Circle encorporates the site of the ancient Parliment, some spectacular waterfalls, and the original geyser.

Archived