Is this a new HAL tile ??

GmaPajama

2726478720101871348S425x425Q85.jpg

I read on another thread that no new tiles have been seen for 2010. We received this one on the Noordam in February. I've not seen it before, and am wondering if it's new. Or maybe I just didn't happen to have this one? Please note: It's not bad photography on my part - the ships really ARE blurry on the tile. :(

Blurry tile? I hope they are not using the same manufacturer that foisted those ship logo disappearing shot glasses that dissolved with the first contact with water like we purchased on the Oosterdam last year.

Never did get any satisfaction on that defective purchase. HAL said it was the manufacturers problem. The manufacturer agent said talk to HAL customer relations. Bah.

And it finally took a separate letter to HAL Mariner email contact to finally get our tile from our Christmas cruise which was delivered promptly last week once the request was made. But the promise was made on the Christmas cruise they would be sent to us since they did not have them in stock during the cruise.

Petty matters -- but these little momentos have mattered to us and are our proud little badges of HAL loyalty.

They deserve attention because small as they are, they are broadcast widely and symbolic reminders of HAL "Signature of Excellence" --- which now consists of a clear glass shot glass, the Oosterdam ship logo ---- which was very poorly executed anyway compared to past logo shot glasses from the Maasdam and the Rotterdam---- went down the drain like the Titanic when it first hit water.

I read on another thread that no new tiles have been seen for 2010. We received this one on the Noordam in February. I've not seen it before, and am wondering if it's new. Or maybe I just didn't happen to have this one? Please note: It's not bad photography on my part - the ships really ARE blurry on the tile. :(

I have no idea if it's the new tile or not but I like it, hope we get one on our next cruise.

Donna: Thanks for posting this photo. Haven't seen this tile before. Hope I get one on my "O" cruise in April . I received the same tile 3 years in a row and it was boring - a big dark blue vent hole from a steamship. If I get your kind of tile, it may look clearer after a couple of Wang Wangs.;)

It looks like a GREAT tile. I don't have one like it, and I've cruised in 2010. Hopefully they'll give this out in July aboard the Prinsendam?

I've seen before the Ad/poster/postcard from which this was taken. The term "Sail a Happy Ship" was a HAL advertising slogan (kind of like the "Signature of Excellence" phrase) that predominated during the middle of the 20th Century. Here's an ad of my Granddad's ... was a clipping from in/among his tickets and other travel documents from a crossing he made aboard the Maadam in the early 1960s.

happyshipad.jpg

It must be a new tile for 2010 although nothing is posted yet on the HAL site. Saw one on ebay like this and one other I haven't seen before. Yes I agree its much nicer than the ugly one of the ship's funnell. Too bad Hal doesn't sell their surplus tiles to complete collections!:)

Fascinating information, RevNeal - thanks for sharing that. I'm now totally convinced this is a new tile, and wonder why HAL hasn't put the new ones on their website. Maybe they don't realize how much some of us love our tiles. :)

Tiles are given to Mariners, so on your second Hal cruise you should each receive one.

Unfortunately, they are not given on your first sailing on Hal. But it does give you something to look forward to.

Thanks Bev

Archived