Charges for CARRY-ON bags

bcd2010

Spirit represents a very small percentage of the flying public. So, don't expect that experiment to catch on.

I believe we all said that when we first heard that American Airlines ( I thik they were the first) were going to start charging for checked baggage.... And look now...

Sad, to think that the Airlines have not figure out yet that it is their over pricing and lack of amenities that make us go to either another Airles or just quit flying altogether....

Joanie

I believe we all said that when we first heard that American Airlines ( I thik they were the first) were going to start charging for checked baggage.... And look now...

American Airlines doesn't represent a small percentage of the flying public. However, your point is nevertheless valid ... all it takes is one to start doing it, and others will glom on.

This is how the airline industry typically works: one airline tries a new fee or price structure, and see how it "flies." If the others follow suit then it usually sticks, if not it will vanish.

If Spirit can get away with it, the others will follow.

Sad, to think that the Airlines have not figure out yet that it is their over pricing and lack of amenities that make us go to either another Airles or just quit flying altogether....

Joanie

Actually, American Airlines was the last of the legacies to introduce the checked bag fee ... and when other carriers have increased their fee, American always has been the last of them to do so.

On my last couple of flights on Delta I saw the usual passengers in the waiting area with multiple huge suitcases, totes, bags, and the like. I was beaming, ear to ear, as I watched Delta personnel walking through and tagging and taking luggage that was too big to fit on the plane. It would be simpler if they would do this screening along with the security screening; i.e., if the bag doesn't fit A x B x C dimension, you go back downstairs and check it through.

My only question... how did they collect the fee for those bags taken at the gate. Maybe they hold them for ransom on the other end?

Sadly, the airlines don't charge for gate-checking ... those passengers are gaming the system and making fools out of the chumbolones, like me, who pay to check bags that are too large, too heavy or too many to be considered carryons. So, while you were grinning ear to ear while their bags were being tagged and gate-checked ... just remember they were getting their bags checked for free. And they undoubtedly were laughing on the inside for pulling one over on everyone else.

Sadly, the airlines don't charge for gate-checking ... those passengers are gaming the system and making fools out of the chumbolones, like me, who pay to check bags that are too large, too heavy or too many to be considered carryons. So, while you were grinning ear to ear while their bags were being tagged and gate-checked ... just remember they were getting their bags checked for free. And they undoubtedly were laughing on the inside for pulling one over on everyone else.

This is a great post. Gaming the system is spot on. I`ve watched this scam on many occasions and it even delays departure. The airlines have figured the scam out and now the fees will commence. Unfortunately it will affect the traveler with a `proper` sized carryon.

Rich

If you patronize the same airline enough to be elite, then they may not charge you to check bags, should you wish to check them.

I almost always do carry-on only because I have had the airlines lose, damage, or steal (that is more likely TSA than the airlines, but still) too many bags/items. Even if they were to charge to carry on a bag, I would pay the fee rather than check the bag and risk not seeing it again.

I do follow the rules about number and size of carry-ons, and do not bring "the kitchen sink," so I don't delay the boarding process.

This is a great post. Gaming the system is spot on. I`ve watched this scam on many occasions and it even delays departure. The airlines have figured the scam out and now the fees will commence. Unfortunately it will affect the traveler with a `proper` sized carryon.

Rich

Well, I can envision in the not-too-distant future a credit card swipe machine at each departure gate. The agent then can point out "Ma'am, that bag is too big ... you can go back to the ticket counter to check it or you can swipe your card here for gate-checking ... the choice is yours" or "Sir, you have a personal item and two carryons, please swipe your card to gate-one item or return to the ticket counter and check it there."

Problem is ... the airlines, for the most part, do not have the personnel to enforce the carryon limits. Unless, of course, they realize that enforcement means $$$ in their coffers. And that extra $$$ for enforcement can pay for added gate people to carry out the enforcement. Why, in the words of Washington, it'll be part of the stimulus in that it'll be job creation.:D

Before airline deregulation, the government and the airlines cooperated in a scheme that severely limited competition and set artificially high minimum fares. It wasn't really all that long ago that maximum weight limits for luggage were universal.

Before people complained about the high prices charged everyone whether or not they utilized all of the benefits entailed. Now that transparent pricing is here, people are complaining because they are being charged for the services they are personally using. Its probably a No-Win for the airlines.

It is simply not true that airfares today are exorbitant when compared to those of the past. Let's compare relative buying power of $1 today vs. the past. The easiest method is to use the Consumer Price Index.

Here's what it took/takes to equal the purchasing power of 1 1969 Dollar:

1969 $1.00 (Perhaps the "Heyday" of regulation)

1979 $1.98 (The beginning of the end of regulation)

1989 $3.38 (The beginning of the end of consolidations)

1999 $4.54 (What should have marked the end for overly debt-laden carriers)

2009 $5.85

Thus, someone who paid $585.00 for a ticket last year was theoretically buying the equivalent of a $100 ticket in 1969. I bet the 1969 consumer couldn't travel even half as far and had far fewer flights to choose from as well. (They didn't have a tv screen embedded in the seat in front of them, either ;))

While I'm not thrilled by some of the changes, the luggage pricing schemes don't strike me as unfair. Heavy users pay more. Sometimes I am one of them, sometimes not. I would love it if airlines really did enforce carry-on rules and not only reject the obviously too large bags people wheel into the boarding area but refuse to transport them and their carriers. That would put a quick end to those gaming the system. I doubt they will, but it is a pleasant thought.

I agree totally.

I don`t know how airlines survive with some of the low fares that are available.

My first flight was in April 1974-ORD-MIA-$120.00 rt. (Eastern flt.433 non-stop Whisperjet Service):). Last Sept. ORD to RSW (Ft.Myers) Spirit Air.-$102.00 rt.

I may not like it but I do understand all the added fees we must pay.

Rich

I always fly Spirit and I am glad they are doing this. It is so frustrating to sit and watch all the people who want to avoid extra baggage fees just sail thru with unchecked luggage that should be checked for a fee. Than when it comes time to board, the gate agents announce that the plane is full and they need people to check there luggage (at the gate, which was free) always several people step up. Sometimes we have checked three to four bags, both ways, and have always paid the fee. We don’t like it, but that’s the way it is.

This past March after our cruise, as everyone knows we get dropped off very early. We can’t check in right away so we sit and wait at an area just out of the security check. Spirit had an agent stationed there, she was checking luggage size and sending people back to the desk to check it. I suppose these are people who print their own boarding pass to avoid the standard check in.

Cindy

Why can't Spirit limit carryons as most majors do? Continental, for example, has a reasonable limit of one carryon up to 45" linear measurement plus one personal item.

There are occasions when the check in desk allows pax to drag full size bags on board. That's unfair not just to other pax, but also the flight attendants who have to stuff large bags in the over head. They deserve longshoreman's wages.

Most other times, the check in agent takes the pax aside and tags the over size bags for stowing below. The agent smilingly tags the bag and stows it free of charge. Mission accomplished.:rolleyes:

Just have the flight attendant who greets you or the gate agent who checks you in look at the bags and decide what is a carry on and what should be checked and then put those that need to be checked aside to tag and charge. I've seem people bring on 2 large duffles that should be checked and try to put them in the overhead.f thisd slows up the line then those who abuse the carry on rule should be complained about and not the staff. Soon there will be greater compliance. These are people who don't want to pay the checked bag fee. And then there are people like me who check the bags since they have liquor in them and can't be carried into the cabin. I'd rather pay to check the bag than for the overpriced liquor they sell for cabin use.

I was a flight attendant for TWA for 27+ years and we were the first to have carry on luggage containers. Luckily, they were taken off and now it has to go into the overheads and under the seat in front of you. Flight attendants biggest complaints were that the passengers expected us to put their heavy bags in the overhead and we started getting injured. Now, most carriers tell their FAs not to help-passengers then react, as if we are not being nice because we do not help, especially little old people. Those sweet little people flying by themselves have relatives that helped them pack and expect us to help them put heavy bags in the overhead. This is a case of people not taking responsibility for their actions. If you pack it, you should be ready to put it in the overheads and if it is for an older or weaker relative, think about the fact that no one will offer them help and can they do it. Usually, my 6'3" husband jumps up to offer help, but you can not expect that all the time. The overheads on most larger planes are made to accommodate the bags, but the smaller planes are not. Trust me, I am right there with you when I see someone with two large bags, trying to take them on. This is where the ticket agents need to stop them and yes, I agree, charge them for checked baggage at the gate. I loved my job as a flight attendant and would never have wanted a gate agent's job, as I saw the abuse they took from passengers, trying to bully their way into breaking the rules. That is what I think it boils down to-people who think they are above the rules, trying to get their own way PLUS the airlines trying to make extra money. I disagree with airlines charging extra for the first carry on bag but would love to see them refusing a second large bag to be taken on-make them check it at the gate and pay for it right there. On the issue of ticket prices-check what people paid when I started flying for a coast to coast ticket in 1967 and now-unless it is a last minute ticket purchase, we pay alot less now than back in 1967 and what else is cheaper now than in 1967? Can not think of anything. Just my thoughts.:D

In an article in today's Chicago Tribune, there was mention that American is planning to roll out a system for scanning the gate-checked bags ... supposedly to be able to track them and reduce the risk of loss. Reading between the lines, my guess is that there is more to this than merely tracking.

I fly a lot on business (almost every week). i agree with posters who say between security (which is a joke--i design security systems) and all the fees, I will drive after I retire. While it is true that some people carry on luggage that is too big/heavy, the airlines can enforce their carry on rules but choose not to. Charging for checked or carry on bags is totally unrealistic. For most travelers on planes, some bags are required. Charging for bags is like a hotel charging for a bed. When you fly, you expect that transporting luggage is part of the deal, just as you expect a bed in a hotel room. This is not a "service" that only people who need it should pay for, it is part of the contract. Expect for a few fliers who are making day trips, no one can be expected to travel without bags.

My objection to Spirit's new policy is twofold. Luggage for air travelers should be expected and their carry on sizes seem very small. I carry either a small briefcase or a backpack when I travel and neither of them is 16 x 14. They do fit under the seat, which is what I do. Now, my carry on bag that fits under the seat but is bigger than 16 x 14 will require another fee. We don"t even have Spirit at our airport but I wouldn't use them if we did.

Be careful saying it is OK with you to charge, because people bring too much. This is the slippery slope that leads to higher cost for less actual service.

Go ahead and flame me, but posters who say all these fees are good are asking for trouble in the future.

No Whiners

Maybe this will keep people from trying to carry-on everything plus the kitchen sink and try to stuff it into the overheads! Charge MORE for the carry-ons and more people will check bags that SHOULD be checked!

You are so right!! I have seen people go to extreme with the so called carry-ons. :eek:

Archived