silver whisper: an alternative view

Ainhoa

I am writing this as a separate review as the previous post is now locked. We too were on the Whisper from Singapore to Dubai, and I have to say, it is almost as if the previous poster was on a different ship. This was our first cruise with Silversea and without a doubt, was one of the most enjoyable holidays we have had. I did not want to get off the ship in Dubai.

Our butler, Sally, was there two minutes after we entered our cabin (ok suite if you must). She ascertained our alcohol preferences, she booked us in the alternative restaurant and was visible, along with our steward, every morning with a cheery greeting. To describe the furnishings as old and tired is a bit of an exaggeration and I don't really understand how anyone could describe the food as "subpar", it was superb. (Is it really, really an important feature of your voyage that you have "high end chips" (whatever they are)? Does it totally ruin your voyage if they aren't?)

I don't understand why anyone would want to see the ship's officers wandering around talking to the guests. Aren't they supposed to be running the ship? It certainly didn't detract from my enjoyment not meeting them. Sam, who was in charge of entertainment was a great guy and did a good job.

Yes, on one occasion, the seam had come unstitched on the duvet cover. Big deal. The sheets were quality cotton and changed regularly and I loved the feather matress toppers.

One thing I would agree with the previous poster is that the shore excursions were rather expensive. We also used Mumbai Magic in Mumbai (and I can highly recommend them). Had we hired a car and driver for half a day from the ship, the cost would have been $350. A whole day with Mumbai Magic, including driver, guide, airconditioned car, lunch, entrance fees plus small gift at the end was INR6000 per person for two of us (much less per person for a larger party). But doesn't everyone complain about the cost of shore excursions whatever line you use?

We loved Silversea. We made lots of new friends. We had a great time and will certainly be returning. But for the record, we are travelling with Seabourn in a month's time, so, given that the previous poster thinks the product is better than Silversea, I look forward to having another great holiday. We will see.

Hi Ainhoa

I felt exactly the same way as u when I got off the Whisper...it was my first trip on Silversea and it was superb.

I was on the ship in January this year visiting friends and I didn't see any threadbare furnishings either. I was looking hard too because I wanted to see if the ship had changed much since I was on her...nope, she's still beautiful!

And please, don't get me started on the "chips":D:D

U are lucky to be going on Seabourn to make a comparison. Hope u have a great time.

Cheers

Jennifer (ging466)

Interestingly, I tend to veer more towards Hobar's views than yours. The vessel will be in drydock in May, and it certainly will not be before time. The soft furnishings are tired and need replacing. The carpets are old and worn and have certainly not been changed since I was last on her in late 08.

The dance floor in the Panorama has deep black scuff marks on it that need an industrial sander to take the top 1/2 mm off to get the floor back to some level of respectability, this caused by a charter, for steel toecapped elephants perhaps.

One of the annoying things that occurred during our cruise was the ongoing work on deck 8, where the wooden plugs protecting the bolts holding the floor together were being replaced. This was noisy, disruptive and should have been carried out during the dry dock, except the company that SS subcontracts to do this is not available for those 2 weeks. This type of work should not have been done whilst the ship had guests on board.

There used to be 3 electricians on board, now there are only two and they cannot keep up with everything that needs doing, hence things slide.

Our Butler tried but was basically the equivalent of an assistant stewardess, and our stewardess worked her butt off, without getting much help from the butler. English comprehension was a real problem.

Having been on the Shadow recently there is definitely a lack of 'esprit de corps' on the Whisper, and yes staff did talk about guests in public areas. This is the only SS ship where I have ever come across this lack of discipline.

There were many good things as well. Ali was outstanding, as was Sam Perry, who can certainly give Fernando a run for his money at Trivia. Robin and the wine crew were very good. Most waiters were excellent, the staff at the pool grill in the evening were absolutely fantastic and did a thoroughly good job. A lot of the food was very good, especially if you know what to order off the menu and when, but I sent one starter and three mains back in 15 days, two in one evening, and occaisionally looked at the dinner menu and thought, nothing attracts my attention.

Marcus the F&B Manager was an absolute hoot, and surprisingly for a German has a wicked sense of humour. But, Norman was a disaster, I agree aloof, unresponsive, and totally ineffectual.

I always enjoy being on an SS cruise, but I do expect them to live up to their mission statement, and this one only gets about 90% of the way there. To keep the level of clientel that they are aiming at anything less than 100% should be a huge concern

In a couple of posts regarding the current condition of the Whisper a May dry dock date has been mentioned. As I will be sailing on the Whisper out of Rome on May 24th I'm interested in the exact timeframe.Where can I get more information on this issue. I hope I have timed my cruise well:) . This a surprise 50th birthday present for my husband so I want to knock his socks off.

Thanks

As if to further support my opinion, expressed elsewhere on this forum, that cruise ship ratings are only suggestions rather than absolutes, was it not the Whisper (and not Shadow) that received 6 stars and now listen to all the complaints about her - ship's condition as well as the crew (see the last few posts on the Spirit thread about ratings).....

In a couple of posts regarding the current condition of the Whisper a May dry dock date has been mentioned. As I will be sailing on the Whisper out of Rome on May 24th I'm interested in the exact timeframe.Where can I get more information on this issue. I hope I have timed my cruise well:) . This a surprise 50th birthday present for my husband so I want to knock his socks off.

Thanks

The cruise calendar for Whisper shows a gap between 28 April and 24 May so, assuming no private charter, those four weeks will be reserved for its scheduled maintenance/refurbishment. You'll be first on afterwards!

We have to wait another two months before we get to enjoy it.

Dave

The cruise calendar for Whisper shows a gap between 28 April and 24 May so, assuming no private charter, those four weeks will be reserved for its scheduled maintenance/refurbishment. You'll be first on afterwards!

We have to wait another two months before we get to enjoy it.

Dave

The dry dock is taking place in Genoa, so allowing for a couple of days to get there from Athens, that leaves approx 3 1/2 weeks. It is possible that someone may charter for the Monaco Grand Prix (14th - 16th May), but the usual suspects are not chartering a vessel this year.

My understanding is that the dry dock is for 2 weeks, so its probably on at least one charter before leaving from Rome on the 24th.

My husband and I are headed to Alaska in August for our 6th Silversea cruise. Last fall we did the roundtrip Tower Bridge itinerary on the Silver Cloud. Norman Rafelson was the Hotel Director for our voyage.

He was by far the most personable, visible and hands on hotel director that I have ever encountered on any cruise line. His office was near the computer room and his door was always open. He would look up and greet people with a smile and a wave. A few times, I wandered in and we would chat about our day, the next port, etc.

Norman had the entire staff working like a finely tuned machine. The crew and guests seemed happy and content. It was a beautiful thing to watch.

I am sorry that you did not have the same experience.

It is interesting how different Norman the Hotel Director seems to be on different cruises. We had him as Hotel Director last year on the Cloud and I think he was one of the worst we've ever had. If you saw him he seemed to be distracted, his mind somewhere but not on the ship. If you talked to him I never had the feeling he really listened. But nice to hear he can be different

My husband and I are headed to Alaska in August for our 6th Silversea cruise. Last fall we did the roundtrip Tower Bridge itinerary on the Silver Cloud. Norman Rafelson was the Hotel Director for our voyage.

He was by far the most personable, visible and hands on hotel director that I have ever encountered on any cruise line. His office was near the computer room and his door was always open. He would look up and greet people with a smile and a wave. A few times, I wandered in and we would chat about our day, the next port, etc.

Norman had the entire staff working like a finely tuned machine. The crew and guests seemed happy and content. It was a beautiful thing to watch.

I am sorry that you did not have the same experience.

Very interesting, maybe its the ship that matters and not the individual.

I don't know how Norman, the Hotel Director, manages to keep his position with SS. If someone with so much responsibility and high profile at my company was as disinterested as Norman, that person wouldn't still be working in that position.

As for the "potato chips" - everything has its place. I like Twinkies too, but don't expect to see them on the desserty table. And they weren't Pringles -- sorry, I don't know my chips - they had ridges and (yes, i tasted them) were stale. When I go to the Four Seasons, I don't expect to see potato chips and pretzels at the bar. There is no place for potato chips on a five or six star cruise line.

I must admit, I am spoiled by Seabourn, and that is why my review was less than superb. Had I not been privileged to travel SB on each of its three sister ships, my review would have been an enthusastic as the poster who started this thread. That poster was indeed lucky to have had the butler and stewardess available when they boarded; we were apparently not as fortunate. SS should have ensured that all butlers and sterards were available -- i did in in fact see several others, just not ours.

The upholstery in the room was so old, it actually felt dirty. And when we finally got into our room - it smelled stale - i had to light matches and open the doors.

And yes, i had forgotten about the ongoing repairs that were so disruptive at the pool - noisy, blocked off areas. I'd never seen that on SB.

Again, maybe i am picky, but i've been spoiled during my travels on SB and at 5 and 6 star resorts, and my comments are my opinion alone - others will have rave reviews.

I don't expect to see potato chips and pretzels at the bar. There is no place for potato chips on a five or six star cruise line.

Hobar,

It amazes me that u are so vehement about potato chips. Who cares whether potato chips are served at the bar, how does that change the ambience of a cruiseline?

If chips AND pretzels are a no-no, what would u prefer served with your drinks?

Cheers

Jennifer (ging466)

I have not been on these boards in quite a while, and find your posts amusing. Personally, I love mixed nuts (please, no peanuts though) served with drinks, although your question was not directed to me. I do miss potato chips from my college days -- but those were long ago, and I would not like to see Lays, Pringles or any other brand on any cruise ship I sail. Oh, the simple times. I also loved peanut shells on floors of bars and restaurants, but that was back in my college days, and I do not expect to see those on cruise ships I sail either.

I do miss potato chips from my college days -- but those were long ago, and I would not like to see Lays, Pringles or any other brand on any cruise ship I sail.

Hi whirldcruzrs

I don't know the brand Lays but I do know Pringles (yuck!)

Seriously, u probably haven't tasted the Kettle chips in Australia. Now these are perfect chips...each chip is handcrafted so that no chip looks the same (not like those mass manufactured Pringles), lightly salted...oh so good:D

These Kettle chips are so darn good, I might even get Hobar to enjoy them.:p

Ok, enough about the chips:D

Cheers

Jennifer (ging466)

Archived