This Alaska cruise is going to end up costing me HOW MUCH?!?!?

cavecreekguy

Please, experienced Alaska cruisers, help me out here.

I'm finally living my dream of an Alaska cruise. Being a man of modest means I booked an inside cabin in May to save some money, and even then am not feeling great about the expense given the economy, but realize I got a great deal so now is the time to go.

I know I'll have to watch myself onboard with spending on drinks and what not, as well as shore excursions. I've been on a couple other cruises and know how this can add up. I already have a tux so I don't have to worry about that expense. Living in a warm climate I don't have much cold weather clothes so I can shop the clearance racks to get that stuff. I know if I'm careful I can do this...

So I'm doing my research on this board. Now I learn that since I'm going to Alaska, I also must purchase:

• Waterproof (not water resistant) rainwear ($100 - $150)
  • Binoculars ($100 - $200)
  • New digital camera with at least a 10x optical zoom ($200 - $400)
  • Waterproof (not water resistant) boots ($100 - $150)
  • Helicopter glacier landing (my physician's suggestion, if I really want to have a good time) ($300 - $400 pp)

I'm never going to be able to afford another vactation again!

What are the real "must haves"? Are there things on this list I can do without? Are there ways to minimize some of the costs?

For example:

• Do I really need heavy waterproof gear if I'm not going on any major hikes in the woods? Can't I get by with a poncho and umbrella like I do for a full day of touring in the rain at Disney World?
  • Does the cruise ship (HAL) rent decent binoculars?
  • Does everyone really take cameras with at least a 10X optical zoom? What if I only have 5X?

This may be a once in a lifetime trip for me so I want it to be great, but also don't want to spend a bunch of money on things I don't ever see needing again unless I go to Alaska (like binoculars and 10X optical camera)

Thanks!

I'm finally living my dream of an Alaska cruise. Being a man of modest means I booked an inside cabin in May to save some money, and even then am not feeling great about the expense given the economy, but realize I got a great deal so now is the time to go.

I know I'll have to watch myself onboard with spending on drinks and what not, as well as shore excursions. I've been on a couple other cruises and know how this can add up. I already have a tux so I don't have to worry about that expense. Living in a warm climate I don't have much cold weather clothes so I can shop the clearance racks to get that stuff. I know if I'm careful I can do this...

So I'm doing my research on this board. Now I learn that since I'm going to Alaska, I also must purchase:

• Helicopter glacier landing (my physician's suggestion, if I really want to have a good time) ($300 - $400 pp)

What are the real "must haves"? Are there things on this list I can do without? Are there ways to minimize some of the costs?

For example:

• Do I really need heavy waterproof gear if I'm not going on any major hikes in the woods? Can't I get by with a poncho and umbrella like I do for a full day of touring in the rain at Disney World?
  • Does everyone really take cameras with at least a 10X optical zoom? What if I only have 5X?

This may be a once in a lifetime trip for me so I want it to be great, but also don't want to spend a bunch of money on things I don't ever see needing again unless I go to Alaska (like binoculars and 10X optical camera)

Thanks!

You can get by without rain gear if you don't want to hike in the woods. But, if you are physically able, don't let the experience of being in the Alaskan wilderness pass you by. Don't just stick to the towns! Also, you never know about rain--on our trip, not ONE DROP!

I think you should just use whichever camera you have. You don't have to have 10x zoom. Also, try to get good binoculars as we really enjoyed them, but we didn't get $200 ones. I think ours were $60 and were great.

Good luck!

Thanks!

I have been to Alaska 6 or 7 times. My rain jacket cost $50 from Lands End. I have yet to bring boots to Alaska - I wear New Balance tennis shoes. If I have to buy new ones when I return (haven't yet) that is ok.

I would borrow binoculars from a friend. I haven't and still had fun but if you want them, that is what I would do.

My camera does have a 10x zoom and I am happy with it. I have also done Alaska with a 2x and 4x zoom (all that was affordable back then).

I would make sure you bring a scarf or ear protection for glacier days (those are cheap).

You can get away with not taking the waterproof gear. I've never had a problem not taking it and gotten away with just an umbrella & windbreaker.

I've never taken binoculars. Just my camera with zoom lens.

Helicopter is a must but you can do the 20 minute walk around for $250-$350. If you want a trek then $399+.

You can get by without rain gear if you don't want to hike in the woods. But, if you are physically able, don't let the experience of being in the Alaskan wilderness pass you by. Don't just stick to the towns! Also, you never know about rain--on our trip, not ONE DROP!

I think you should just use whichever camera you have. You don't have to have 10x zoom. Also, try to get good binoculars as we really enjoyed them, but we didn't get $200 ones. I think ours were $60 and were great.

Good luck!

Thanks for the advice. Since your binoculars were around $60 and you were happy with them may I ask what brand/model? I would spend $60 on a decent pair of binoculars.

Thanks!

there are tons of online sites that sell "last years" model of outdoor gear... usually at VERY reasonable prices. You can get binoculars, footwear, raincoats etc.... My favorite is sierra trading post dot com.

We bought rip-stop nylon ponchos and we also had rain resistant jackets. My husband never wore his poncho and I only wore mine in Ketchikan where the rain was very heavy, constantly. We got the ponchos on-line for $15 each. Just google "nylon ponchos". I think in crowds, an umbrella would be a pain.

Did not have nor need boots, I used leather tennis shoes and my husband wore his regular leather shoes. The important thing with foot gear is good treads so you don't slip.

We took the binoculars we had, but never used them. We just used the zoom on our cameras. We both have cameras with 10X zooms.

For example:

Do I really need heavy waterproof gear if I'm not going on any major hikes in the woods? Can't I get by with a poncho and umbrella like I do for a full day of touring in the rain at Disney World?

IMHO only, a rainproof hooded jacket is a must-have. If you are wet, you are miserable. Again, IMHO, a poncho is a pain in the b*tt, especially in the wind. An umbrella is a hazard to you and to all around you. Again JMHO but if you must forego something on your list, I'd skip the new camera and take the one you know well.

All the above is based on my personal experiences only :)

Waterproof jacket a Must, no fun being wet. You could probable find some end of season jackets either in the store or online. I just purchased one online, from REI for $39 and it will do just fine. If you don't have a problem with second hand, then check some of the second hand stores. I wore tennis shoes the whole time, even hiking, but bring 2 pairs in case one gets really wet.

Binoculars, that's a hard call, my first cruise I bought a $300 pair and my DH a $99 pair and they both did the trick. Check out ZenRay, they will sell last years models, pretty cheap. Keep in mind, just how long you will be looking through them and I am sure you will find willing fellow passengers to share theirs.

Camera, I'm not the person to ask, as I am an avid scrapbooker so I look for the best outcome of pictures. I would say if you have a 5x, that is what you have and I would not go out and buy a new camera just for the cruise. I made friends with several other CC members (Roll Call) and we sent each other CD's of scenery pictures to share. Remember, no matter how expensive of a camera you get, it doesn't matter if you don't have the perfect view for it.

I would strongly suggest that you spend your budget on excursions and not materials items that you may or may not use again. You are going to Alaska to see the scenery and experience it. However, do your research on your excursions, whether you book through the cruise line or independent. Go to your Roll Call and your fellow passengers will be able to educate you on the excursions, what deals there are.

The most important thing is your cruising to Alaska and you shouldn't have to go bankrupt over it. Enjoy your cruise, it will be amazing.

I love my binoculars. I have a pair of wide angle and they run about $50-$75. Check out any sporting goods store.

I also won't go anywhere without my gortex jacket. Great as a windbreaker and for rain. You can definitely get those for under $100. My husband recently bought one at EMS for $60.

My camera is a 6X and IMO you don't need a 10X. Just go with what you have

Forget the waterproof boots.

Be sure to add a scarf, hat and gloves.

I don't think 10x camera is enough. Heck, I brought my 18x super zoom last summer and even then, the pics of whales and stuff were pretty small. I'd say to get 18x superzoom, like the Panasonic Z35. You can probably find one online for $250 and it also does high def video.With all the features, it is a great cruise cam.

I did do a single tour- they are all too expensive compared to what you pay in the carrib. I was able to take a bus to Mendenhall, took a long hike in Skagway, did a walking tour in Ketchikan. I didn't feel like being constricted in Alaska, I just had a strong urge to walk and see.

Penny pinching suggestions

1) Two pairs of sneakers ( one to dry ) one to wear

2) Cheap plastic poncho 10 bucks will last for the few times you are out and use it.

3) Layers of clothes, 3 would be my suggestion: Long sleeve/turtle neck, sweatshirt/fleece vest + over jacket ( hopefully in everyones wardrobe except them tropics folks ) Probably can find a fleece + sweatshirt that will get you by for less than 100 bucks. Search the second hand stores if it is something you really won't ever use again. If you live in warm area probably even cheaper ;)

4) Camera/binoculars: This is a slippery slope as to go and not see the whale/bear/eagle 1/2 mile away might be sad. But really to see glaciers, beautiful scenery, crisp air etc... isn't that enough you need NOTHING but your eyes :D I personally wouldn't be dissapointed nor suprised if I don't see any "wild" animals besides the crazy homosapians. You are going early enough wildlife opportunities will be limited but glaicer/ice viewing will be good and easy to do with your own two eyes. Camera is really to capture what you saw, but if you see it do you need some huge sharp picture? Memerories are cool and I'd not go overboard just for the cruise. If you got a camera bring it, if you don't buying a 199 digital is pretty damm good for most snapshots. Won't get you the eagle or whale 1/2 mile away but again you should still have a wonderful experience with the memories, NO?

5) Excursions the most slipper slope! In every port one can always walk around. Between a 5-10 bus ticket and some hiking you can likely get a lot of enjoyment and taste of Alaska. Whether it Alaska or the Carribbean one can find 500/person excursion that some would view as must or extra and not critical to a good time.'

As one poster said, if you go bankrupt to capture the memories and experience then you don't have your priorities right. You are doing it smartly and if you love it most likely you'll do it again when you have more means too.

Good luck

I went to Alaska last July with my 18 year old nephew (h.s. graduation present, I'm a good Aunt :)). We did get a hooded waterproof jacket, waterproof hiking boots and did a helicopter ride/glacier landing. The first was definitely good to have. Having a hooded waterproof jacket was wonderful on days it rained. We did splurge and bought Columbia 3-in-1 jackets at the end of the season for about $100 each. With the weather we had in ports some days, this was great. You need something to keep you warm and dry - our jackets did both.

We had binoculars, but forgot to pack them. Neither one of us missed them.

I took existing digital camera (5x optical zoom) and it worked great. I have some wonderful pics.

We did purchase water proof hiking boots, but we were planning to do a 4-5 hour hike that went onto Exit Glacier in Seward. We needed them for that. Otherwise, good tennis shoes with an excellent tread are fine.

Helicopter with Glacier Landing. I did this in Denali National Park and it was wonderful, but not the highlight of the trip. Definitely plan to do a helicopter ride. Alaska is amazingly beautiful and you can really experience it better from the air. Walking on the glacier is cool, but if you are weighing your options and other shore excursions, I'm not sure I'd do it. Of course, after hiking onto Exit Glacier, the mild stroll we did when we did the glacier landing paled in comparison so I'm not sure I'm the best for an opinion on this one.

I would recommend, if you are able, do some hiking while in Alaska. We hiked around Mendenhall Glacier in the park and both loved it. I have some of my favorite pictures from that day.

Whatever you do, you will enjoy the trip!

Emergency hooded poncho from wal-mart---.99 bring a few --they are small and carried easily--can be reused

Water proof boots-----just get a can of waterproof spray for your shoes--about $4

Binoculars ---I'd spend on this one but not too much--ours are a constant companion in alaska

Glacier landing---been to alaska 8 times never done this--plenty to see without it fro alot less

Camera---if your inclined to upgrade then do so---however your 5x will work fine for most situations and you can augment with some picture postcards that are sold everywhere

hope this helps

Paul

Surprisingly, you will find cheap binoculars almost everywhere these days. I bought three pair of Vivitar 10x50s for $9.99 each at a Rite Aid Pharmacy. They sell them at TJ Maxx at times. You can get some online or on eBay for 20 to 30 bucks. I take cheap ones that have a good field of vision, then leave them behind. At $10 or $20, they don't take up space on the way home.

The camera is a bit more tricky. If you don't have much of a zoom, you will get shots that are so small you won't know what's what. At the same time, cameras have become fairly fungible, and everyone sells them: Costco, Sam's Club, etc., as well as the older online camera outlets. You should be able to find something reasonable. Don't forget eBay as a possibility too.

As for the helicopter ride and glacier trek, we were told it was worth it. It is more expensive than most, but we are only taking two expensive tours -- one is flightseeing to Misty Fjords.

I don't mean to spend your money or suggest you get out of your comfort zone on spending, but to some extent I look at it that we spent the money to get there and take the cruise, and a little more is going to add a lot more to the experience. At the same time, the cruise itself might be enough with minimal excursions. You cannot fly your own float plane or helo, but you can walk around the towns you visit too, and lots of people do just that.

Thanks everyone. I'm feeling a little better now.

Will go shopping for reasonable binoculars.

Will take my existing 5X camera. I take lousy pictures anyway so why pay more for a new camera to take lousy pictures with?

Glad I can get by on 2 pair of sneakers.

Still can't bring myself to spring for the helicopter ride.

I have responded in red below.

For example:

• A hooded rain jacket is nice, but you can get by with those inexpensive raincoats as someone mentioned above. Get a few of those one dollar ones and that should get you by if you aren't doing any activities where you will potentially be walking in the rain. We happened to get alot of use out of our hooded rain jackets as we has some pretty rainy weather. However, you can get buy with cheaper options.

Not that I am aware of. We actually found the binoculars to be a bit of a pain to carry around. We are going to Hawaii this year, and I have no intention of dragging them around. I will just be content with what I see with my natural vision. The only time I can say I was glad I had them in Alaska was in Denali. The wildlife is often far off and the binoculars did come in handy there.

Take what you have. Again, just enjoy what you see with your eyes. Don't worry about capturing every moment with your camera. I have a 12x lens I think and for Hawaii, we are leaving it home and taking our pocket camera. Again, I just don't want to be burdened with all this "technology."

You do not need boots unless you are hiking. Buy yourself a $5 can of waterproof spray and use it on your athletic shoes. If possible bring two pairs of athletic shoes. The spray also works great on Backpacks.

As far as the helicopter landing, that is up to you. I did not do one and I had a fabulous time in Alaska. I picked a great itinerary, did excursions I really enjoyed, but passed on the expensive helicopter. My two sisters did go and enjoyed it, but I never heard them carrying on about it was a must do. Unless they didn't want me to feel bad because I didn't go. They just said it was nice.

Thanks!

Also you don't have to buy alot of heavy clothing---many ports --especially Ketchikan--have many shops near the ship that sell inexpensive fleese and windbreakers that could also serve as souvineers ----if you need things check out campmor.com they have alot of gear for way lees the the major names---might also have a good deal on binoculars

Paul

I don't see where you are from, but REI, Bass Pro, and Cabela's are now found in places they weren't just a few years ago. I would think that right now would be the perfect time to snag some cooler weather gear on sale...

Instead of buying a 3-in-1, find a fleece jacket and a separate lightweight rain jacket on sale. Make sure the fleece fits under the rain jacket okay, not to tight, and voila...you have your own 3-in-1, much cheaper (and your outer layer is waterproof, not just water resistant).

The only time I ever wear waterproof boots is when I'm expecting to be jumping out of the boat into water. Otherwise, sturdy athletic shoes with room for heavy socks. Unless the shoes are soaked, a change of socks will likely suffice for the next day.

I've yet to experience a helicopter ride with glacier landing. I'm sure it would be fun, but on the other hand, I don't feel my life is lacking without it, either.

You can stay in your budget and still have fun. On the other hand, if you stretch your budget too far, you won't have fun, so what would be the point?

I agree that not a single item on your list is a "must".

Absolutely agree. Not a single item is a "must" see or do. Those excursions are the most overpriced and over-rated option in Alaska IMO. They are an extravagance for those who are ""snookered" into the trip by others such as your physican and end up spending more than the price of the cruise.

Archived