This Alaska cruise is going to end up costing me HOW MUCH?!?!?

cavecreekguy

[/b]

i just cracked up when I read this...I'm also from Seattle and our cruising friends from San Fran came up to do Alaska last year. We met them for dinner and she told me about going to the sporting good store to buy ponchos. I burst out laughing and called her a dork and she wouldn't talk to me for awhile. It's all relative to what you're used to. We're going on July 2nd Infinity and I will be packing my normal every day wear and my snuggie for the balcony (and throwing in some shorts on the hopes we have stunning weather). I went to Juneau for a week a few years ago - had one pair of shorts and they broke the high temp record every day - just keep wearing my one pair and laughing at the tourists in FLANNEL shirts, down parkas and starched jeans. I'm sure these are the same people laughing at ME in FL when I have on my swimsuit and it's only 70.

OP - you'll be fine - don't spend tons of extra money and tell your physician that we don't all live in his world.:p

I LOVE the idea of the Snuggie for the balcony!!! Thanks. I never wanted snuggies, but my husband put them on our wedding registry and of course we got them. Well, I will admit, I do like them and they are PERFECT to travel with as they are pretty lightweight and don't take up a lot of packing room!! YIPPEE...Thanks so much.

As for some of what the others said, I have not been to Alaska YET (July 2010 is when I will first be there), but i have traveled to many other places. IMHO, no matter what camera you have, one you are familiar will work best for you. Also IMHO, no matter what camera you have, the pictures in your mind are always the best ones. Memories are the best. A camera just sometimes helps us to recall our memories. But I don't think any picture ever can compete with the pictures in our minds...

Thanks everyone. I'm feeling a little better now.

Will go shopping for reasonable binoculars.

Will take my existing 5X camera. I take lousy pictures anyway so why pay more for a new camera to take lousy pictures with?

Glad I can get by on 2 pair of sneakers.

Still can't bring myself to spring for the helicopter ride.

Did you plan to go whale watching. Usually more reasonable than flightseeing. I can recommend Harv & Marv in Juneau - small boats (6 passengers) and they really know where the whales hang out.

One thing we did get was hiking boots - under $15 at Big 5 Sporting Goods. Well worth it - I found the ankle support great with all the walking we did (and weren't used to).

I have a 15x zoom Sony camera and it worked great for wildlife. For an idea of what you'll see:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sparky46/sets/72157622755361677/detail/

It's hard to take bad pictures with the scenery in Alaska.

OP hasn't been back in awhile. Somehow I get the feeling they might be on a round trip. Although there are some coupons for the INside Passage ports on the coupon books, most, at least in the past, are for the interior of Alaska.

Oh I'm still here. I'm very glad to have started this thread because of all the reassurance I've gotten that I don't need to go broke before this cruise purchasing gear. I also think it's helpful for other Alaska first-timers.

I am R/T Seattle. I looked online at that coupon book and I did notice that one of the helicopter tour companies does have a B1G1F coupon, and I think there was one for the Juneau tramway too. Looks like a great value if I wanted to do a lot of expensive excursions (not that I consider the tramway expensive).

Oh I'm still here. I'm very glad to have started this thread because of all the reassurance I've gotten that I don't need to go broke before this cruise purchasing gear. I also think it's helpful for other Alaska first-timers.

I am R/T Seattle. I looked online at that coupon book and I did notice that one of the helicopter tour companies does have a B1G1F coupon, and I think there was one for the Juneau tramway too. Looks like a great value if I wanted to do a lot of expensive excursions (not that I consider the tramway expensive).

Cavecreekguy: where did you get that coupon for the B1G1F helicopeter? I am going to make reservations soon. I am leaving end of May. Pam

We don't own umbrellas either. Sorry but it's true!

I'm not sure you can speak for the Northwest like some giant gelatinous whole. My Seattle sister certainly uses an umbrella, most women with hair styles they want to preserve do! Having said that I personally wouldn't hassle with one on ship excursions.

I'm happy with the little pocket binoculars I have. Any excursion you go on will supply higher end ones.

Use your existing shoes and spray them with waterproof spray. May is generally* a very dry month comparedly for SE AK. My friends who visited in mid-May were in tee shirts and had no rain. It's worth the risk of seeing what you encounter. There's tons of cheap clothes here if you run into some freak weather system.

Camera: I say this as an avid amateur photographer--don't bother with the fancy camera. Bring you snap and shoot for candid shots of yourself standing in front of all the various sights. If you want some truly gorgeous photos, there are many excellent photographers who take great shots with their expensive equipment and you can pick up the shots for a few dollars each.

I've never stood on a glacier, but I say go for it. Think of all the money this thread has saved you! :D

*First week of April and we're still getting snow. You can't ever guess here.

Great tips from everyone. Someone said there wasn't much rain in May. How about September? Thanks

This is one the best threads I've found - were coming from Oz and on a budget - inside cabin (no option there - we got pacific airfares to pay for!!! thank g for richard branson!) but then Harv & Marv, and Dyea Dave are expected to be our highlight activities and costliest tours. Will bring my basic kodak 3x camera and 25 yo binocs - and if we get cold will buy a local sweat. Thanks to all the regulars for some good input.

Thanks for the advice. Since your binoculars were around $60 and you were happy with them may I ask what brand/model? I would spend $60 on a decent pair of binoculars.

Thanks!

for me an important factor too also figure in for a camera or binnoculars is the weight. if they hang around your neck all day you will feel it before long. invest in a cushioned strap for comfort. i have been to alaska 2 times in may and have only used a nylon windbreaker over a sweatshirt. i got mine a few years ago for $10 at walmart in the sporting goods dept. it works out great. do take a pair of sweats for the deck if you decide too venture out at night. it gets chilly and windy. a cheap lightweight pair of gloves will be handy also. for the ports i only wear my tennis shoes. bring extra socks. have a great time.

Great tips from everyone. Someone said there wasn't much rain in May. How about September? Thanks

It has been widely reported on this forum that after the first week of September there is the greatest potential for unpleasant weather...cold, rainy, windy, etc. However, always keep in mind that there are no guarentees with weather. Just because the statisitics say one thing, it doesn't mean you will have that weather when you go. People in May could end up with an unusually rainy week just like someone in September could end up with a dry warm weed. If you want to rely on statistics, stay away from September, or come well prepared for some unpleasant weather.

Cavecreekguy: where did you get that coupon for the B1G1F helicopeter? I am going to make reservations soon. I am leaving end of May. Pam

Verify the 2 for 1 coupons can be used. These sell out very quickly as the number of coupons accepted is limited. So check and reserve before you buy the book.

Must be a Nebraska thing... me too!!:):)

I live in Michigan and do own boots, but rarely use them. However, I do have waterproof low hikers that I bought for Alaska and love!!! They are my primary winter weather shoe covering now. With some nice Merino Wool socks my feet are always toasty.

I would say it's definitely worth the money to buy a waterPROOF jacket. However you do not have to spend a fortune. Lands End has a Trail Model rain jacket that sells for like $60, and it was recommended to me by other Cruise Critic members. It's VERY thin and lightweight, which means it is good for all climates. But in Alaska you'll need something warm (fleece?) to wear under it on cold days.

I went on a cruise to Hawaii last year and just took my water-resistant jacket that I wear at home all the time. It rained for much of the week, and because we were on tours, we were often out in it. The water-resistant coat quicky became saturated with water. I was cold, wet, and miserable. Came home from the trip with bronchitis and pneumonia.

I learned a lot from that trip. I know to take about 2/3 the amount of clothes I took on that trip. Leave home most of the stuff people say you can't live without. But if you're traveling some place where it rains frequently, invest in a good breathable waterproof jacket. Makes the difference between a fun trip and a miserable trip.

I would say it's definitely worth the money to buy a waterPROOF jacket. However you do not have to spend a fortune. Lands End has a Trail Model rain jacket that sells for like $60, and it was recommended to me by other Cruise Critic members. It's VERY thin and lightweight, which means it is good for all climates. But in Alaska you'll need something warm (fleece?) to wear under it on cold days.

Did you perhaps mean LLBean? I couldn't find a Trail Model on the Lands End site but did locate it at LLBean.

Also what month were you in Hawaii?

I'm hoping I'll get sunny skies in AK to make up for it....

I hope so too. We picked mid-June for Alaska mainly because statistically it was a time of less rainfall. We were gone 18 days. I have to say, all things considered, we didn't get that much rain. However, it happened on key days: The all day Tracy Arm Tour, the all day Northwestern Fjord tour, and the all day shuttle trip into Denali. And yes, it rained almost the entire time each day. :(

So I'm doing my research on this board. Now I learn that since I'm going to Alaska, I also must purchase:

• Waterproof (not water resistant) rainwear ($100 - $150)
  • Binoculars ($100 - $200)
  • New digital camera with at least a 10x optical zoom ($200 - $400)
  • Waterproof (not water resistant) boots ($100 - $150)
  • Helicopter glacier landing (my physician's suggestion, if I really want to have a good time) ($300 - $400 pp)

Forgive me if I say anything that's already been said as I didn't read the replies before mine but here's my take:

Waterproof rainwear: I bought jackets online for a significant discount. Go to a store and figure out what you want to buy and then Google it to see if you can find it cheaper.

Binoculars: Everyone here raves about the Zen Ray binoculars but I didn't want to spend over $100 for them. I bought a pair of waterproof 8x42 Bushnell's on eBay for $30 shipped!

Digital camera: I did buy a new one for this trip. The photos are a huge part of remembering vacations so it's important to me to take photos of wildlife if I can. My 5x zoom didn't cut it in Europe so it certainly won't do in Alaska. I bought a Panasonic Lumix with x12 optical zoom at Costco for $150. Again, shop around for this. You can get one for less than $200.

Waterproof boots: I don't think you need waterproof boots unless you're planning to hike THROUGH a river. I bought water resistant low cut hiking shoes for light hiking in Denali and Anan Creek. If you aren't hiking, I don't think you need them. I also bought waterproofing spray from Dick's Sporting Goods for like $6. I plan to spray the shoes and my backpack to waterproof them. If you don't plan to hike and have a pair of tennis shoes, just buy this and spray them.

As for the helicopter glacier landing, I'm really looking forward to this. Don't cheap out on excursions! Who knows when you'll be be back again? Our trip cost is at $8,400 right now for 2 of us (2 nights in Denali, 2 nights in Anchorage, balcony cabin for cruise) and doesn't include all these extras we're buying. I try not to think about it too much and remind myself that this could be once in a lifetime (I hope not but it could be)!

one more thing. dont forget how much it is going to cost you check all the bags for lugging around all the extra stuff you probably wont need. waterproofing your shoes, a lightweight nylon hooded rain jacket and layers is the way too go. you can buy lots of tshirts and things in the ports pretty cheap also. wear them on the ship . i have learned to go on the 7 day cruise too alaska with a carry-on and purse. have a great time.

OMG. I was proud of myself for learning to travel for a weekend with a carry-on and purse!! I can't imagine just that for a 7-cruise! :eek: Good for you!

:D:D i wear mix and match, and dont get dirty so i can wear the same pair of capris twice and i use the bundle method of packing. one pair of tennis shoe for on the plane and boarding the ship, a nice pair of black flats for formal night and a pair of flipflops for the pool area. 2 pair nice dress pants and 2 dressy tops for dinner ( i like too eat in the lido for dinner some nights ). easy breezy. and i have plenty of room for my undies, jammies and jewlery.

Our Coleman rain gear, jacket and pants that go over your layereds only cost us $25 at Sam's and roll up into a sized nylan cover that is the hood on the jacket.

Our compact binoculars $10 at Ross Dress for Less. Not as good as the big ones but sufficient.

Don't need boots, sneeks are fine, just do all leather ones.

Would buy a cheap fleece pull over, those can be found at Marshalls, Costco, Sam's, Wal-Mart or Ross's for under $25. You don't have to do brand names such as Megellan's, Lands End or Eddie Bauer to get sufficient cool weather clothing.

Lots of stuff can be done with very little expense, Mendenhal for the price of the bus, don't go into the visitors center. Etc.

All of this I've learned here, my first trip is May 2011. Can't wait.

Archived