Thoughts on Cost of Orlando Flight

M&MGirl1

Ok, so I've got a family squabble going on here, and I need some objective help:

I've got a group of 9 (big family trip) planning to go on a short cruise out of Port Canaveral and then spend some time at Disney World in October.

Here's the problem - we live in Kansas City and the cheapest air I can find to Orlando is $213 (Thurs. Oct 7th/Sun Oct. 17th) on AirTran. My brother-in-law is convinced that since a buddy of his got a $150 roundtrip deal to Orlando on Southwest last year that we'll be able to find the same deal eventually, while the other 4 people in the group are more inclined to take the $213 fare and be happy with it. Trouble is, I don't know who is right.

Every other flight to Orlando for our dates right now is in the $280 to $300 range, and I'm afraid of waiting too long to book a fare and ending up paying a lot more (which recently happened to me with air for a Costa cruise over spring break). However, I also understand my brother-in-law not wanting to overpay for a flight since he and my sister are paying for 5 of the 9 tickets.

Does anyone have any clue whether the $213 AirTran fare is "reasonable" or not, or have any idea about what this ticket "should" run? I've checked every airport within a 2 hour drive of Orlando as well, but they are all more expensive.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts - ANY suggestions help!!!

Margaret

Past ticket price is not an indicator what you will have to pay, and there is no "should be" as far as airfare is concerned. I recommend you purchase your tickets now, if you're comfortable with the price, and for what it's worth, I think the price you found seems good.

My best suggestion is to let your BIL do his own research and ticketing if he thinks he can do better - stay out of it. It should not matter to you what he pays or if he waits. There is no reason you have to be on the same flights, or wait for him to make up his mind. I'm not sure why there should be any "fight" about this. You buy what you think is good, and let him purchase when he's happy.

I'd jump on the $213 and let my BIL worry about his own travel plans. You'll all get there anyway. Just plan to meet up.

If he gets travel for $150,,,good for him, if not,,,,well,,, it was a risk he was willing to take,,no problem.

I used to buy top-quality T-bone steaks for 49 cents a pound. Bought a new loaded Camaro for $4k. Sure you can get flights for $150 r/t, just be patient....:D

I have a FIRM rule. Unless explicitly given full authority to arrange a trip for others - and part of the rule is that there is no second guessing - I let everyone make their own arrangements. At whatever price they find, on whatever flights and carrier they choose, and with everyone being responsible for themselves.

Echoing Rugrats.....let them make their own purchases. Just state that you would be happier if each family makes their own arrangements and agrees to meet in Florida. Then buy the $213 tickets and don't look back. Do not be responsible for them, as I see nothing but a lose-lose situation for you.

As long as your cruise doesn't leave the same day as your flight, I'd also go with AirTran. But they are famous for changing itineraries and it could really mess with your plans. Keep in mind that they charge for checked bags and seat assignments.

Southwest will likely offer your dates for less but nobody knows. If their current fare is reasonable, I'd be inclined to book it and get a credit to use within one year if a lower fare becomes available. But with 9 people, that might be a challenge.

Have you called Southwest about their group rate?

Past ticket price is not an indicator what you will have to pay, and there is no "should be" as far as airfare is concerned. I recommend you purchase your tickets now, if you're comfortable with the price, and for what it's worth, I think the price you found seems good.

My best suggestion is to let your BIL do his own research and ticketing if he thinks he can do better - stay out of it. It should not matter to you what he pays or if he waits. There is no reason you have to be on the same flights, or wait for him to make up his mind. I'm not sure why there should be any "fight" about this. You buy what you think is good, and let him purchase when he's happy.

+1

Let him play the fare waiting game lottery.

Rule 1 of buying airfare (based on price alone) is if you like it then buy it.

If one looks at fares over the last year, they are currently at their highest level. So, there is some evidence that fares could go down. But, an economist would say, on the other hand, airlines are being more aggressive these days with fares. Both Southwest and airTran have some "web only" fares. One option that you could consider is to fly Southwest to Orlando and airTran to Kansas City. Depending on flights and stopping patterns, you may be able to cobble together a round trip ticket on the dates you indicate for about $200 per person.

I wouldn't bet on seeing a $150rt fare - it could happen, but I currently doubt it. Last year was sale of the century on many things due to the economy.

How much luggage do you plan on bringing (and the group)? What are the chances your flight dates might change?

Buying 1 way tickets each way is an option. Maybe your bags can still fly free going there?

Arranging travel for friends and family is close to trying to herd cats.

After a number of very stressful "holiday arrangements"- we have figured out a wonderful remedy for the situation you are in. We figure out the where, when, how to vacation- and let everyone that is going- figure out if they are going- when they will travel- how they are getting there and what they are paying.

Seems like you have the important decisions made- where, when and how you are going to vacation together. Now is the time to "set them free"- you take care of your air arrangements and let them do the same.

There will likely be occasional fare wars but you dont know the locations and dates that might be involved. Airlines are sitll losing money, and there will be fewer not more airlines (e.g., United and US Airways likely to merge), which doesn't bode well for competition. Buy your own tickets. If BL gets a lower fare, great, he can chuckle and say "Told you so." But, as is more likely, he does not, you can laugh (quietly to yourself, of course).

I would buy the tickets for those you are paying for (maybe spouse & kids). Tell others what you have found and where and when you will meet them. If they want to go with the $213 now great. If they want to hold out hoping for $150, that is great too. Note, there is no guarentee that $213 rate will last.

Thanks for the great advice!

I'm more inclined now than ever to take that $213 AirTran fare and be happy with it. We're DEFINITELY going down the day before the cruise, so I'm not worried about issues if AirTran changes their schedule on us. Also NO CHANCE our travel dates might change as BIL and I had to get approval for vacation time way in advance AND we've already booked the rental house for the Disney part of the trip.

I DID try to find an airline that would give us a group fare, unfortuantely 9 people seems to fall just short of the 10 to 12 most airlines, including Southwest and AirTran, consider a "group."

Part of the reason my DS and BIL want to hold out for a cheap Southwest fare is baggage - they've got 3 kids (8, 11 & 14) who apparently can't live for 10 days without a plethora of electronic devices. 3 of the other 4 are adults, and since the ship and the rental house at Disney have laundry machines we won't have any trouble packing just a carry on.

While I'd prefer it if we all ended up on the same flight since only 2 of the group of 9 have traveled at all within the past 10 years, I'm thinking it's NOT worth dealing with my BIL if I push the issue and something cheaper comes along later. Frankly, I'm not sure exactly HOW I ended up planning this debacle, seeing as how I'm the only SINGLE one WITHOUT kids who is going :D

Margaret

Archived