What does it mean..when I'm told, that ship is geared to Australians

I bet you won't graduate to thick spread.

I was born in Aus, and can't cope with vegemite. Maybe because my Mother only gave it to us when we were sick because it is "so good for you". Worse than polenta! Different though. :)

. :p

Well, I wanted to keep a positive outlook...

Vegemite seems to be a national treasure....

For example if anyone outside of California said anything negative about In and Out Burger which is a treasured California landmark...

I would be upset because you hadn't even tried it yet!

http://www.in-n-out.com/history.asp

and because we're becoming buddies here...

the secret menu, which you wont find published in the store

http://www.in-n-out.com/secretmenu.asp

I prefer animal style...

I found tim tams in a market here...would they be the same thing that you get in Australia or do you think they change the recipe for export

They are REALLY addicting!!!!

They do that to Nutella..and the Nutella that you get outside of Europe is NOT the same!

I think you'll find they are the same as we get here ... how exciting that you can get them in the US now (will have to email our friends in Kentucky and see if they have them there!!!).

Mind you, Arnott's (the company that makes them) used to make a difference recipe for Ginger Nuts (another icon in the biscuit line!) for a few of the difference states in Australia! Once upon a time each State had it's own biscuit factory, but of course over time these were rationalised ... but the recipe for Ginger Nuts was changed depending on where the biscuits were being shipped to! (I think now, however, they've forced us to all accept the same recipe!)

And again, you're right Nutella is difference here ... when we were in Italy a year or so ago, you had Nutella with EVERYTHING almost (nearly as much of it around as there is Vegemite here!!!).

We do have a 'new' version of Vegemite in Australia now which has cream cheese added (softens the flavour a bit) ... now I don't want to start a debate about which is better the original or the new one ... but !!! :cool:;)

Well, I wanted to keep a positive outlook...

Vegemite seems to be a national treasure....

For example if anyone outside of California said anything negative about In and Out Burger which is a treasured California landmark...

I would be upset because you hadn't even tried it yet!

http://www.in-n-out.com/history.asp

and because we're becoming buddies here...

the secret menu, which you wont find published in the store

http://www.in-n-out.com/secretmenu.asp

I prefer animal style...

Yeah, you can "keep" In and Out. Animal style is ok. Their fries s**k. Limp to the max!. Now, the Ausie friends are really wondering what's going on. :D I'm really a "Burger Town" kind of guy. For full disclosure, the DD's best friend is a manager for In and Out.

Non alcoholic Beverages..

Anything unique to Australia/New Zealand??

NZ -

Lemon & Paeroa, also known as L&P, is a sweet soft drink manufactured in New Zealand. Traditionally made by combining lemon juice with carbonated mineral water from the town of Paeroa, it is now manufactured by multi-national Coca-Cola.

Lemon & Paeroa can be found only in New Zealand and in specialty New Zealand stores abroad. The paradoxical advertising slogan "World famous in New Zealand" has become a popular New Zealand saying meaning very well known locally, but not receiving recognition overseas.

Aust -

Bundaberg Ginger Beer (must be Bundaberg, a town in Queensland)

Americans and Canadians are not big lovers of our vegemite, very strong yeast taste. I took some years ago to Canada and gave some to my Canadian friends, they hated it, I discovered the bottle had been placed back in my suitcase when I got to Vancouver.

When we were on the Volendam they actually had vegemite on board. We really hated the hard crisp bacon, we then discovered they had english bacon at one part of the buffet, but it was real greasy.

The other thing we had trouble finding was hash browns, they mostly had fried pieces of potato.

Also you will notice a difference with dinner menus, the Americans will call a "Main meal" - "Entree". To us a entree is a starter, small serving.

The other thing we also noticed was how cookies - which we call biscuits, were served with ice-cream, very strange. Actually I don't recall seeing that when I visited America.

Sheesh! This site just threw a tanty! My posts are disappearing and the whole thing stops when I try to post then are posted twice!!!!! I think everyone is trying to post at once.

Where2, you really started something here, I'm glad to say! :)

Now, don't get me started on burgers! You can't beat the Aussie variety - either steak or a rissole/patty with heaps of grilled onion, tomato, cucumber, lettuce and - wait for it - BEETROOT! All together in a hamburger roll. Mmm! even better when the beetroot juice rolls down your arm. (Only joking! :D)

Now, don't get me started on burgers! You can't beat the Aussie variety - either steak or a rissole/patty with heaps of grilled onion, tomato, cucumber, lettuce and - wait for it - BEETROOT! All together in a hamburger roll. Mmm! even better when the beetroot juice rolls down your arm. (Only joking! :D)

Definitely must have beetroot ... and even pineapple if the mood takes you!!! (and a fried egg if you're really feeling hungry!) ... yum!:):p

You must try the 3 berry daiquiri....they have those on Princess, if i was able to, i would have bathed in them and then drank the bath water :p

Jas, you have a delightful way of putting things! :D I didn't see them on P&O but then I didn't get past the fruit tingles and illusions. Will look out for them next time. :p

NEW shipboard topic

Beers

We've heard of Fosters, but what other beers should we try

XXXX beer, brewed in Brisbane, famous for the little man http://www.xxxx.com.au/history/

Wine

We have an influx of Australian wine here in the California..

but honestly we've never had any...

any suggestions to get us started..

Australia now has cleanskin wines - when a winery has produced too much wine they bottle it with a label that is very basic and doesn't have the winery name on it, this is done to avoid extra taxes. These are sold at really cheap prices and some are really good wines.

Non alcoholic Beverages..

Anything unique to Australia/New Zealand??

Bundaberg Ginger Beer is really nice, brewed in Bundaberg Queensland http://www.bundaberg.com/info/home/

For example we have Arnold Palmers which is 1/2 lemonade and 1/2 ice tea..the ship doesnt really make it,

you have to create it yourself to the "specs" short for specifications (recipe) you like!!

BTW, I would like to point out that apparently I'm a .....

two pot screamer!!!! :D :D :D

Also Bundaberg is famous for its Bundy Rum http://www.bundabergrum.com.au

Yeah, you can "keep" In and Out. Animal style is ok. Their fries s**k. Limp to the max!. Now, the Ausie friends are really wondering what's going on. :D I'm really a "Burger Town" kind of guy. For full disclosure, the DD's best friend is a manager for In and Out.

Perhaps its the way you get them in SoCal..

You know it's so different down there than compared to up here ;)

Sheesh! This site just threw a tanty! My posts are disappearing and the whole thing stops when I try to post then are posted twice!!!!! I think everyone is trying to post at once.

Where2, you really started something here, I'm glad to say! :)

Sounds like a chain here, "Carls Jr", their slogan is "it doesn't belong in your face, if it doesn't get all over the place".

The fried egg reminds me of a Loco Moco on Hawaii

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loco_Moco

What does Beetroot taste like....I think I need to google more

Beetroot is a mostly a round, root vegetable, red and very nice, and grown in the salad bowl of Queensland, The Lockyer Valley. It is canned here in Queensland by Golden Circle in vinegar, http://www.goldencircle.com.au/ which is now owned by your American company Heinz, they also can our beautiful pineapples.

Actually, that's hard to answer - googling might be your best bet. I don't know what your 'beets' are. We have silverbeet which is like a coarse spinach and beetroot which is a root vegetable, dark purple in colour when cooked. We always buy them tinned in vinegar, but you can also boil them whole and slice them.. I just can't explain the taste - can anyone - someone who likes them, I mean. :D

Responding to the Beverage posts

WOW! your quick responses are great!

I appreciate you sharing the info on the labeling of the wine....

CptSticky and I have a grocery store chain called Trader Joes in California..they always have Australia wine CHEAP, but the labels are plain..which makes you wonder how good is this stuff??...Now I know it might be VERY GOOD

when I go shopping this week I'm going to pick up a couple of bottles for taste testing next weekend

A 3 berry daiquri is right up my alley!!!!

DH will love love love the Ginger Beer

and the L and P will be searched for when we are in NZ

I'm getting ready to head off to sleep it is 11:15pm on Sunday April 11th

I'll be back here in the morning!

With a new topic regarding sailing on a ship geared for all of you!!!!!

Once again, thank you so much....

the generosity of your time is so appreciated!

Karen

Dont worry Where2next if you dont get Aussie culture & tastes. Us Kiwis live right next door to them, visit them often, but we STILL have trouble making them out! :rolleyes: They are indeed a strange bunch ;) :D what with their thongs and feesh & cheeps bahaha!

Kiwis on the other hand are much more straightford bunch ;) tehehe

Linda, definitely the original version! The new cheesy version is for wimps! :D

Ahhh Sandy, I've migrated to the new version a bit more now (find I don't have to have my Vegemite with an inch of butter that way!!!)

Mind you ... nothing (and I mean nothing) beats fresh bakery bread - still warm preferably, cut thick, slathered with butter and Vegemite! drroooolllll:p

Responding to the Beverage posts

WOW! your quick responses are great!

I appreciate you sharing the info on the labeling of the wine....

CptSticky and I have a grocery store chain called Trader Joes in California..they always have Australia wine CHEAP, but the labels are plain..which makes you wonder how good is this stuff??...Now I know it might be VERY GOOD

when I go shopping this week I'm going to pick up a couple of bottles for taste testing next weekend

A 3 berry daiquri is right up my alley!!!!

DH will love love love the Ginger Beer

and the L and P will be searched for when we are in NZ

I'm getting ready to head off to sleep it is 11:15pm on Sunday April 11th

I'll be back here in the morning!

With a new topic regarding sailing on a ship geared for all of you!!!!!

Once again, thank you so much....

the generosity of your time is so appreciated!

Karen

As I'm reading this, I'm drinking an Aussie wine "Yellow Tail":D

Ahhh Sandy, I've migrated to the new version a bit more now (find I don't have to have my Vegemite with an inch of butter that way!!!)

Mind you ... nothing (and I mean nothing) beats fresh bakery bread - still warm preferably, cut thick, slathered with butter and Vegemite! drroooolllll:p

Yeah, droooolllllll! I have to give it to you that the new one is OK on crackers - at least you don't have the bother of buttering it then.

Jas, you have a delightful way of putting things! :D I didn't see them on P&O but then I didn't get past the fruit tingles and illusions. Will look out for them next time. :p

LOL Sandy, you should know by now, that there is no mixing of metaphors when it comes to the way i describe things... :p They were on Princess, but they rock!!!! Oh btw, expect a new cruise counter any day now ;)

I found tim tams in a market here...would they be the same thing that you get in Australia or do you think they change the recipe for export

They are REALLY addicting!!!!

They do that to Nutella..and the Nutella that you get outside of Europe is NOT the same!

I don't know if you read the Tim Tam thread. Have a read if you have some time. Quite a few of your countrymen were converted to our Aussie bickies!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1019159

Archived