What does it mean..when I'm told, that ship is geared to Australians

Another question...

Since we will be on the Sun Princess

are there any words/expressions that are unique to your homelands

that we might not understand or even worse..somehow offend by saying...

Just a few, I can think of that we dont use in the states, but are used in other countries....

take away (we say to go)

straight away (we say beeline, heading there now, be there in a sec)

ring up (we say called)

oh buggers (no clue what that means...is it oh sh*t?)

all advice is appreciated!

K.

Another question...

Since we will be on the Sun Princess

are there any words/expressions that are unique to your homelands

that we might not understand or even worse..somehow offend by saying...

Just a few, I can think of that we dont use in the states, but are used in other countries....

take away (we say to go)

straight away (we say beeline, heading there now, be there in a sec)

ring up (we say called)

oh buggers (no clue what that means...is it oh sh*t?)

all advice is appreciated!

K.

Oh this made me laugh. Isn't it great how the same words have differnet meanings in different places.

Oh bugger could be replaced with what you said. It basically means damn.

Another one I thought of was I think you say sitting on your fanny but that has a very different meaning in Australia and we would sat sitting on your butt.

I would not worry too much as most Australians will help you with language and will realise that you do not mean to offend. We found it to be the same when we visited the US.

Oh this made me laugh. Isn't it great how the same words have differnet meanings in different places.

Oh bugger could be replaced with what you said. It basically means damn.

Another one I thought of was I think you say sitting on your fanny but that has a very different meaning in Australia and we would sat sitting on your butt.

I would not worry too much as most Australians will help you with language and will realise that you do not mean to offend. We found it to be the same when we visited the US.

I never use FANNY, some UK crew members educated me :o

What does it mean..when I'm told, that ship is geared to Australians

Heres another little example of how they are gearing the Princess ships down here to Australians.

We did the first cruise on Dawn when she arrived here. They carried on with the same entertainment crew, with the intention of gradually changing over to Aussie crew. It happenned to be when the Melbourne was run, ( a huge horse race down here that everyone stops to watch) and the ship knew nothing of it , and had nothing planned for the race.

This outraged passengers and realising their error at missing such a huge National event, Princess recorded the race that afternoon , and then put together a hastily prepared show that evening in the Horizon Lounge which , to their surprise was packed out.

hi where2next, the Sun Princess has the itinerary out till late Sept 2011

there's a nice cruise doing a is 21 nights from Perth to Asia on the 16th Aug 2011 and return to Perth followed up by a 17 nighter from Perth to Sydney...it depends on your finances and time......going by our aussie onlines site it cost $7300 each for an inside cabin and not counting air prices...you maybe able to get it cheaper from the US site

if you log into Princess.com they should have the itinerary there

rkmw

G'day K

welcome to OZ.

What about the trip around Oz............great

D/H and I did it last November. I see they travel to Bali now also :0)

[glad the off topic threads have been removed......thanks Walt.]

So, will he find on the breakfast buffet any of the following....

Cereal..Corn Flakes, Special K, Cheerios-yes

Scrambled Eggs-yes

Waffles-yes

Pancakes - yes

French Toast-yes

We even have the french toast covered in cornflakes in the MDR-WOW.

Fresh Fruit-yes lots

Orange Juice-yes

In 2007, when the Rhapsody of the Seas first cruised from Honolulu to Sydney, on an Australian charter, it was provisioned for Americans.

After a few days, grits was removed from the breakfast menu, but porridge remained.

Australians eat a more savoury breakfast, so don't eat as many pastries and cakes for breakfast. However, we have adapted to pancakes and maple syrup.

Whilst they had lots of flavoured teas, they ran out of black tea and had to restock at several ports en route (to much celebration). Australians drink more hot tea, with English Breakfast and Earl Grey being favourites.

If ya gunna come to Ostrayia, ya gunna have to learn all these new words

http://www.koalanet.com.au/australian-slang.html

otherwise ya gunna problie get a gobful from some mug called Bluey, or Whitey or Wazza.

Don't just sit there on ya bum like a dag - get flat out at it like a lizard drinking! My mate uses all this lingo- and he thinks he's FIGJAM - but he really isn't the full quid.

Anyway - I gotta get out and get a slab before the boozer shuts - I'm as dry as a pommie's towel!

Bazza

After a few days, grits was removed from the breakfast menu, but porridge remained.

Much to my chagrin :mad::mad: we were told they stole all the crew tea provisions to keep us happy:D:D never seen so many dodgy tea brands but it tasted great.......what memories.....

Speaking of grits.... Sun Princess were hit and miss one day they would be there then they would disappear for 3 or 4 before returning:confused: also on the Sun Princess they didn't display them but the did have them "poached eggs" that is....shhhhhhhh secret stuff...they hide them behind the bain marie....a quick whisper in the ear of the staff member who is guarding them with his life and voila to poached eggs on your plate.........:cool:.

cheers Shiona

G'day K

welcome to OZ.

What about the trip around Oz............great

D/H and I did it last November. I see they travel to Bali now also :0)

[glad the off topic threads have been removed......thanks Walt.]

We even have the french toast covered in cornflakes in the MDR-WOW.

I have never heard of this...

It's like multi tasking ...2 courses at once!!!

Well, we must give it try!

BTW, grits are from the southern part of the USA...certainly not a mainstay in the West...we like steel cut oatmeal

otherwise ya gunna problie get a gobful from some mug called Bluey, or Whitey or Wazza.

Don't just sit there on ya bum like a dag - get flat out at it like a lizard drinking! My mate uses all this lingo- and he thinks he's FIGJAM - but he really isn't the full quid.

Anyway - I gotta get out and get a slab before the boozer shuts - I'm as dry as a pommie's towel!

Bazza

Oh this is FABULOUS!!!! or should I say beaut ;)

absolutely love the link and response...and as soon as I can figure out all you just said I will respond..

It's almost 10pm here in California..so getting ready to head off to sleep....

hi where2next, the Sun Princess has the itinerary out till late Sept 2011

there's a nice cruise doing a is 21 nights from Perth to Asia on the 16th Aug 2011 and return to Perth followed up by a 17 nighter from Perth to Sydney...it depends on your finances and time......going by our aussie onlines site it cost $7300 each for an inside cabin and not counting air prices...you maybe able to get it cheaper from the US site

if you log into Princess.com they should have the itinerary there

rkmw

Unfortunately in the states we don't get alot of vacation time compared to the rest of the world and we have about 20 more years until we retire

We can be away about 25 days total...

We have already figured that we will need at least 3 trips to Australia and New Zealand to see and do all that we want to experience...these trips will be cruise/land combos and probably just straight land too

Oh this is FABULOUS!!!! or should I say beaut ;)

absolutely love the link and response...and as soon as I can figure out all you just said I will respond..

It's almost 10pm here in California..so getting ready to head off to sleep....

its 3pm in Sydney so you must be 17 hours behind us

rkmw

Musicorn and everyone else

Musicorn mentioned this in a earlier post...so that's why I bring it up...

I just wanted to give a little back in explaining USA continental breakfast

It has gotten to the point in the USA a continental breakfast no longer has a set definition.

Traditionally, it use to be disgusting danish, coffee, juice

Now, you will find some places have fruit, hard boiled eggs, muffins, bagels, make your own waffle stations, cereal, coffee, tea, hot chocolate, juice, even pre packaged breakfast sandwhiches (kindof gross, but they do fill you up)

Every Hotel that offers a continental breakfast has their own definition..

As I mentioned earlier DH loves his breakfast, so when we travel here in the states I always ask the hotels to spell out exactly what they mean by continental breakfast...

There are also hotels that serve warm breakfast options as part of your room rate.

For me, USA breakfast = eggs benedict!!! MMMMMM! First discovered that in the Officer's Mess of the submarine base at Pearl Harbour - definitely one of the better days of my life.

Barry

You may also need to whisper and give the eye to the cook for the english bacon, kept with the poached eggs under the counter....

Alos when some one says "see you later" please do not wait for them, it just means cheerio.

Hi Everyone...

When we travel, we travel for immersion..

We don't want it to be like home, if we wanted "home" we would stay there..

With that said, while researching our Australia/NZ cruise options I kept hearing repeatedly from several sources..

The Sun and Dawn Princess' were geared to Australians,

the Diamond Princess for US Citizens tastes..

However, even after intense questioning on my part, no one

has been able to really explain exactly what that means...

So, could all of you educate me...I'm really quite curious.

Thanks so much

K.

Everything on the ship is upside down.

"I have never heard of this...

It's like multi tasking ...2 courses at once!!!

Well, we must give it try!

BTW, grits are from the southern part of the USA...certainly not a mainstay in the West...we like steel cut oatmeal "

G'day K, actually it was a fellow countryman who first developed these rather delicious treats for breakfast...so I believe????

On the menu you will see a little write up of it's history.

Really interesting, give them a go!

Bazzaw

BTW Barry-love the slang dictionary-PERFECT.

I thought of posting that myself.

Two good heads and all that! LOL!

B&B ;)

James Beard, one of the outstanding American cooks and cookbook authors of the 20th century -- he wrote 28 cookbooks -- introduced me to his favorite brunch recipe, J.B.'s French Toast.

He told me that they used to serve this in the dining cars on the Santa Fe Railroad.

The crumbled cornflakes give every bite a crisp crunch that is mighty good.

This will make a memorable meal with the addition of a lightly sugared bowl of strawberries during the spring and summer.

During the winter, serve it with grapefruit halves.

J.B.'S FRENCH TOAST Serves 6.

-- 3 eggs

-- 1/2 cup milk

-- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg

-- 1/2 teaspoon salt

-- 2 cups cornflakes

-- 4 tablespoons ( 1/2 stick) butter

-- 6 slices thick white bread ( 1/2- to 3/4-inch thick)

-- 6 tablespoons sugar

Prepare the batter: Crack eggs into a bowl. Add milk, nutmeg and salt and stir briskly until the mixture is one color. Using a shallow bowl makes it easy to dip bread slices. Crumble the cornflakes slightly. Spread them in a layer on a piece of wax paper. Preheat the oven to 225 degrees.

Prepare the Bread: Dip (don't soak) both sides of each slice into the batter. Press both sides of each slice into the cornflakes to coat the bread well.

Fry the French toast: Melt 2 tablespoons of butter in a 12-inch skillet over medium heat. Add 3 slices of bread and fry until golden on each side. When done, sprinkle about 1 tablespoon of sugar on top of each slice. Keep warm in the oven. Fry remaining slices in remaining of butter.

Serve hot.

PER SERVING: 283 calories, 7 g protein, 36 g carbohydrate, 12 g fat (6 g saturated), 129 mg cholesterol, 550 mg sodium, 1 g fiber.

Musicorn and everyone else

Musicorn mentioned this in a earlier post...so that's why I bring it up...

I just wanted to give a little back in explaining USA continental breakfast

It has gotten to the point in the USA a continental breakfast no longer has a set definition.

Traditionally, it use to be disgusting danish, coffee, juice

Now, you will find some places have fruit, hard boiled eggs, muffins, bagels, make your own waffle stations, cereal, coffee, tea, hot chocolate, juice, even pre packaged breakfast sandwhiches (kindof gross, but they do fill you up)

Every Hotel that offers a continental breakfast has their own definition..

As I mentioned earlier DH loves his breakfast, so when we travel here in the states I always ask the hotels to spell out exactly what they mean by continental breakfast...

There are also hotels that serve warm breakfast options as part of your room rate.

I am glad to hear that the continental breakfast has changed. It was awful getting up to that each morning. As you put it - it was disgusting.

Bazza

Just got home again! Bazza, you're as mad as a cut snake!!!! :D

Where2next, will you please enlighten me - what are grits? I've read about grits all my life and still don't know what this dish consists of. :rolleyes:

We tend to have wheat/corn/rice cereals, or muesli, or rolled oats (porridge).

Bazza

Just got home again! Bazza, you're as mad as a cut snake!!!! :D

Where2next, will you please enlighten me - what are grits? I've read about grits all my life and still don't know what this dish consists of. :rolleyes:

We tend to have wheat/corn/rice cereals, or muesli, or rolled oats (porridge).

Archived