What does it mean..when I'm told, that ship is geared to Australians

Just got home again! Bazza, you're as mad as a cut snake!!!! :D

Where2next, will you please enlighten me - what are grits? I've read about grits all my life and still don't know what this dish consists of. :rolleyes:

We tend to have wheat/corn/rice cereals, or muesli, or rolled oats (porridge).

Explanation of grits Sandy:

Hominy grits, or just plain grits, are an institution here in the South, though they can be hard to find in northern states. Hominy is made from flint or dent corn,varieties with hard kernels that are dried on the cob then removed and soaked in a solution of baking soda, lime, or wood ash. This process causes the hulls to soften and swell. The kernels are then hulled and degermed using friction, then dried. Grits, coarse whitish grains, are ground from hominy.

The other Australianisation of ships is that the water in the toilet goes in the opposite direction :p

I did meet a lovely couple in California a while back and we were chatting. She asked me where DH was and I replied without thinking "he's gone to the bottlo for some grog" as you would expect I was greeted with a blank stare and then I realised where I was. I explained and we had a good laugh.

And don't forget we wear thongs (flipflops) on our feet. ;)

Linda

Hominy grits, or just plain grits, are an institution here in the South, though they can be hard to find in northern states. Hominy is made from flint or dent corn,varieties with hard kernels that are dried on the cob then removed and soaked in a solution of baking soda, lime, or wood ash. This process causes the hulls to soften and swell. The kernels are then hulled and degermed using friction, then dried. Grits, coarse whitish grains, are ground from hominy.

The other Australianisation of ships is that the water in the toilet goes in the opposite direction :p

Thanks for that explanation of grits. I too had always wondered what they were, and I admit to looking for some sort of hard bacon. No wonder I never found them onboard.:D

Jen

Haha Jas! That information was a bit hard to digest! ;)

Actually, thank you. I think grits would be an acquired taste! :cool:

This sounds very similar to polenta.

Haha Jas! That information was a bit hard to digest! ;)

Actually, thank you. I think grits would be an acquired taste! :cool:

Hehehe i agree Sandy. They had them on the Sun Princess, and they looked horrid. I think you will find Shiona (badgerbill) loves them if my memory serves me correctly.:)

Aussie/NZ passengers are definetly more laid-back then North American travellers. Dressing on formal nights is less formal, although I have to say I haven't seen as many sequins all in one place as on the Captains cocktail party night for past passengers on the Sun Princess. :D Otherwise on formal (or cocktail) nights, not a lot of Aussie/NZ women wear sequins. They seem to have died a natural death in the 1980s or so.

Food - We have cruised a few times on shipps based in the US, and I can't think of major differences. Some that come to mind - Lots of salad and veges and good steak. At breakfast you can find pancakes and syrup, but you would have to look for them as they are not a usual part of our diet. 'Australian bacon' is not crispy friend bacon that is popular in the US. If you want it like that you should specify. On the buffet I have seen 'soft-cooked' and crispy bacon side by side in different serving dishes.

Oh I have to comment on your points above. In Feb on the Coral the bling was everywhere on the ladies. Me included. The more bling the better. Bring on the bling....

The bacon :eek: The most disgusting excuse for a piece of pork ever. It looked like it was deep fried in dripping and it tasted like it too. Even the americans hated it. Why do they serve that? They did occasionally have English Bacon on the menu and everyone ate that!

you may find a game of cricket between the ships crew and the Aussie/Kiwi passengers.....Other than that we are a friendly lot happy to help out visitors do you have any questions about what you might like to see and do while you are in our backyard.

I love the Kiwi Aussie rivalry on our P&O ships, especially when getting off at a tender port and the man asks if there are any Aussies onboard, they all cheer, then he asks them to get out the other side of the tender, the one with no jetty.:D On the other hand I just wish we Kiwis had a version of 'AUSSIE AUSSIE AUSSIE OI OI OI!!!!!!!':)

That just brought back a memory from our cruise on the Coral in Feb through the Panama Canal. When you go through the Miraflores Locks there is a building on the left hand side where all the locals go to watch the ships go through. ( If you have read my review you will have seen the picture. )

Anyway, we were up the front on the secret deck on baja level. Everyone was cheering and yelling. I yelled out "Aussie, Aussie, Aussie" and would you believe about a dozen people (local Panama City people) yelled back

"Oi, Oi, Oi" :eek: I guess they watched the 2000 Olympics too :D

Sorry for hijacking the thread. Just brought back memories when you said that!

If ya gunna come to Ostrayia, ya gunna have to learn all these new words

http://www.koalanet.com.au/australian-slang.html

otherwise ya gunna problie get a gobful from some mug called Bluey, or Whitey or Wazza.

Don't just sit there on ya bum like a dag - get flat out at it like a lizard drinking! My mate uses all this lingo- and he thinks he's FIGJAM - but he really isn't the full quid.

Anyway - I gotta get out and get a slab before the boozer shuts - I'm as dry as a pommie's towel!

Bazza

Barry, now you will have to translate that for the poor americans!

Like all things, whether its a Cruise or people from different countries in general.

People are people.

Some are down to earth and you find them as they are.

Others are pretentious and are more worried about how they look, and what they have done etc.

I like the "Salt of the Earth" type people myself, the better than you types that want to big note themselves from any nation leave me cold.

Thats just me though.

Nothing wrong with a battler.

Where2next, will you please enlighten me - what are grits? I've read about grits all my life and still don't know what this dish consists of. :rolleyes:

Go to a local park. Get a hand full of sand. Bleach it. Rinse it out. Now put it in boiling water for 20 minutes. Drain the water and add some butter. Now you have grits.

That just brought back a memory from our cruise on the Coral in Feb through the Panama Canal. When you go through the Miraflores Locks there is a building on the left hand side where all the locals go to watch the ships go through. ( If you have read my review you will have seen the picture. )

The side it is on depends on which way you are going ...

2059431440095309218S600x600Q85.jpg

2518196490095309218S600x600Q85.jpg

Hi Everyone...

Lots of posts to respond to...so I think I will put all my answers/comments in this one..

Food

Grits...CAZZ gave the actual definition ..they are really an acquired taste, you grow up with, your grandmother made them...etc etc...

They are most common in the Southeast of the USA

Polenta is made from corn..you will find that in Italy or somewhat in Mexico it can be soft (like a very thick porridge) or firm either way is acceptable. and each way gives it unique taste...Personally, I like the soft version it's like a bowl of comfort food. California is a melting pot of everyone..so, i see all versions of this

Thanks for the French Toast recipe...its breakfast time here and it does sound pretty good!

What is vegemite and why is it so popular??

Words/Sayings

Please dont translate what Buzzaw said.As soon as I have time I want to translate and respond appropriatly using the link for Australian words the was provided...

Thongs/Flip Flops...now thats exactly what I was talking about if someone said will you be wearing thongs in the dining room..I would have thought that they asked if I was going in my underwear!!!!

Maccaw said...I like the "Salt of the Earth" type people myself, the better than you types that want to big note themselves from any nation leave me cold. Thats just me though. Nothing wrong with a battler.

Can someone translate this for me please.

Ok..need to scroll for other posts ...

I;ll post this for now...

K.

For me, USA breakfast = eggs benedict!!! MMMMMM! First discovered that in the Officer's Mess of the submarine base at Pearl Harbour - definitely one of the better days of my life.

Barry

Eggs Benedict are delicious...

I make my variation of them every Christmas morning for the family breakfast

Instead of poached eggs I make scrambled eggs and then put a small dollop of sauce on top and then provide a container of additional sauce for everyone to add to their liking

When you are on a cruise..at least Princess

if you speak with your headwaiter the night before he will arrange for you to have eggs benedict the next morning.. (provided they arent on the menu)

Heres another little example of how they are gearing the Princess ships down here to Australians.

We did the first cruise on Dawn when she arrived here. They carried on with the same entertainment crew, with the intention of gradually changing over to Aussie crew. It happenned to be when the Melbourne was run, ( a huge horse race down here that everyone stops to watch) and the ship knew nothing of it , and had nothing planned for the race.

This outraged passengers and realising their error at missing such a huge National event, Princess recorded the race that afternoon , and then put together a hastily prepared show that evening in the Horizon Lounge which , to their surprise was packed out.

My mom and I had a similiar experience

2 years ago we did HNL-PPT-HNL back 2 back..

onboard the Pacific Princess

For one of our Bora Bora days, Princess said nonchalantly...

oh, there's a boat race going on, it might be busy in town

What an understatement!!!!

I instantly googled and found out about the Hawaiki Nui !!!!!

The next morning when we went into Bora Bora, I asked a lot of the locals to explain the race further...

Princess really dropped the ball on this event...

they could have offered a lecture on it, provided a shuttle to the finish line beach area.etc etc

We were so thrilled and honored to be able witness all of the outriggers going by our anchored ship.

We had a balcony cabin and each of us had binoculars and could see the expressions on the particpants faces as they headed to the finish line!!!!!!

Then we went back onto the island and participated in the festivities!!!!

I wish cruise lines would try to be more "on point" when it comes to this stuff..

I also just found out that we will be in Istanbul on their Republic Day Celebration..which is like our 4th of July and Azamara hasnt said a word about it...

Side note...when DH and I visited Turkey last year on our land vacation..we were there on ANZAC day..we didnt know what that was, but after learning, the memorial we witnessed was very touching. I really think Princess should recognize that day on all their ships fleetwide.

Especially, since they want to create more of a relationshipwith your 2 countries.

Where2next

"What is vegemite and why is it so popular??"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vegemite I am not sure that "popular" is really the right word for it. Actually not all Aussies do like it - but those of us who have it in our blood don't think of them as TRUE BLUE. I have eaten it probably since I left my mothers breast - and so have my kids. None of that putting on a thin spread for me - I eat it a 1/4 inch thick (that is 6.35 millimetres for the young ones here)

What are you going to say if somebody asks you "Are you a happy little Vegemite today"??

Barry

Where2next

"What is vegemite and why is it so popular??"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vegemite I am not sure that "popular" is really the right word for it. Actually not all Aussies do like it - but those of us who have it in our blood don't think of them as TRUE BLUE. I have eaten it probably since I left my mothers breast - and so have my kids. None of that putting on a thin spread for me - I eat it a 1/4 inch thick (that is 6.35 millimetres for the young ones here)

What are you going to say if somebody asks you "Are you a happy little Vegemite today"??

Barry

hahahahhahahahaha!

Well, I would just have to say...

I haven't had it YET for breakfast, lunch and tea...

I suppose we should give this a taste

when we are in the land down under...

hahahahhahahahaha!

Well, I would just have to say...

I haven't had it YET for breakfast, lunch and tea...

I suppose we should give this a taste

when we are in the land down under...

LOL.

This is a common expression used in Australia and the answer is "yes". You'll be able to impress any happy Aussies you meet by slipping the following into your conversation.

"Looks like you are a happy little Vegemite". :)

Keep your answers coming!

Thank you to all that have responded.

We know the AU dollar will be on our cruise on the Sun Princess Feb 2011 and right now the conversion is fantastic

We heard that the beer choices will be specifically Australia (love that-though we arent big drinkers)

Not sure on the food...what does that mean?

What is Australian food??? (I've heard of vegemite and shrimp..that's all)

after travelling all through Europe by land with time spent immersing ourselves in each locale..

I can honestly say, much of the mainstream food in the USA sucks.

Dont even get me started on yogurt and cheese differences compared to the rest of the world...

Anyway, back to Australia...what do you eat that I might not have experienced???

Thanks!

K.

Good question. It left me scratching my head. It's quite multicultural these days, as we adopt the tastes of our immigrants. Perhaps Australians like to experiment with tastes?

What do others think ...is there a unique Australian cuisine?

cruise.

Cheers,

Anna

. The Mexican was popular on our last cruise.

Cheers,

Anna

You mean Corona???

It's best served with a section of lime either wiped across the bottle or put inside the bottle...depending on your personal tastes!!!

I think we would be a bit surprised to see Corona offered

while in Australia..

but it would be recognizable to us !!!!

I think I will have to store the happy vegemite phrase in my memory banks!!!

If someone says are you in enjoying your time in Australia

I will say...

Absolutely, I'm a happy little vegemite!!!!!

:D

Maccaw said...I like the "Salt of the Earth" type people myself, the better than you types that want to big note themselves from any nation leave me cold. Thats just me though. Nothing wrong with a battler.

Can someone translate this for me please.

K.

Translation -

"Salt of the Earth" - ordinary "good" people

"types that want to big note themselves" - people who tell everyone how important they are (Note - I was going to say "trumpet from the rooftops" but I realised I would be explaining one colloquialism with another.)

"Battler" or "Little Aussie Battler" - working person (hope I don't offend anyone with that term) who hasn't achieved a lot financially.

Hope these explanations help and don't baffle you more.

Then you can work your way through Bazzaw's comments. By the way "Bazza" actually means Barry.

Archived