What does it mean..when I'm told, that ship is geared to Australians

I don't know if you read the Tim Tam thread. Have a read if you have some time. Quite a few of your countrymen were converted to our Aussie bickies!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1019159

Thanks for that!!! Just spent 1½ hours (almost) reading that thread (with a couple of interruptions!) What a hoot!!!!:eek::D

Wow what a fun thread. Where2next you have started us all reminiscing. Would also like to add my 2 cents worth. Re the vegemite, think it is a bit like your Grits - something you grow up with and so enjoy it when older also. My mum said that when it first came out we were all told that it was good for you (great advertising) and so parents naturally wanted it for their children. Agree with the others great with fresh bread and thick butter. You mentioned the shrimp but we actually call them prawns, and at the time an add aired over there that implied it was normal for us to put them on the barbie, it was rather astounding for me. 1) didn't know prawns were shrimps and 2) could never afford that luxury, traditionally steak and snags (sausages) on the barbie. Another fave is Meat Pies, for me, the good old baked dinner (complete with pumkin of course)

Note: I started this post a while ago so sorry if I am doubling up on any new posts since.

Well, I wanted to keep a positive outlook...

Vegemite seems to be a national treasure....

For example if anyone outside of California said anything negative about In and Out Burger which is a treasured California landmark...

I would be upset because you hadn't even tried it yet!

http://www.in-n-out.com/history.asp

and because we're becoming buddies here...

the secret menu, which you wont find published in the store

http://www.in-n-out.com/secretmenu.asp

I prefer animal style...

We tried in-n-out burger in San Francisco. I have to agree it is the best.

I loved the chips/fries, our chips are nothing like that here.

I get to eat them again in September. :D

Linda

LOL Sandy, you should know by now, that there is no mixing of metaphors when it comes to the way i describe things... :p They were on Princess, but they rock!!!! Oh btw, expect a new cruise counter any day now ;)

Ooooh, I'll be looking out for it - gotta see where you're going this time! :rolleyes:

Thanks for that!!! Just spent 1½ hours (almost) reading that thread (with a couple of interruptions!) What a hoot!!!!:eek::D

Yes, we had a fun time with it while it was running. Pia even came to meet me when we were in FLL in Feb. She wanted to meet the person who was responsible for her weight problem :eek::D

NEW TOPIC...

Entertainment...

We discussed how humour is different...so that's covered

MUTS (Movies Under the Stars)

So, are the movies just like what we would get here in the states or do you have your own movie producing studios that would be featured on this cruise...

Do they do popcorn or any other snacks for these movies?

Maybe a big plate of Tim Tams??? :)

If we are there Feb 20th for the SYD to NZ cruise on the Sun Princess will it be warm enough once we leave SYD to watch movies outside???

Ping Pong..DH couldnt find ping pong on the deck plan...

Do you like to play ping pong down under??? DH loves this game

Shuffleboard...saw that on the deck plan...is this popular with you?

Shows...do they do the big musical numbers, like on other ships in the fleet

Educational Lectures...We love these...is this something that will be held for those of us that are learning about the region???

In Fjordland do they have NZ's version of park rangers come onboard like they do in Alaska for Glacier Bay???

I hope all you have a great day..I think you might be waking up about right now!!!

Thanks!

K.

We tried in-n-out burger in San Francisco. I have to agree it is the best.

I loved the chips/fries, our chips are nothing like that here.

I get to eat them again in September. :D

Linda

Yipee! Happy to hear you enjoyed our favorite "cheap eats burgers"

If you have any questions about SFO let me know!

In September..at the DeYoung Museum we are having impressionists and post impressionists paintings from the Musee D Orsay in Paris on exhibit

Here's the info...

http://www.famsf.org/deyoung/exhibitions/index.asp

Enjoy your visit in our beautiful city on the bay!

PS..I was on the FairStar around the same time you were!

K.

Hi where2next,

A few answers (and I'm sure others will answer also).

The movies will be the same ones you get at home. We have an Australian film industry but they only produce a very limited number of movies, and they are for international audiences.

Popcorn - yes. Tim tams - no. :D

Will it be warm enough on 20th Feb to sit outside - Yes. It will be hot in the day and still warm in the evening.

Ping pong - We call it table tennis. I know they have it on P & O ships and I hae no recollection if it is on Princess ships. I imagine it would be.

Shuffleboard - They have it on board, but only a very limited number of passengers turn up for it. Just as well. :D

Shows - There are a number of production shows as well as local entertainers. Some of these are well past their 'use-by' date and others are good. If you are lucky you will have a singer Ash Puriri, a Maori entertainer.

On board lecturers - On some cruises. From what we have seen there are more lecturers now than a few years ago, and most of them are popular. There is often a bridge (card game) teacher as well. Craft classes also.

The only area where I can recall a local lecturer coming on board was the Fiordland National Park in New Zealand. On one cruise up the Queensland coast and around to Darwin we had a coastal pilot on board and he gave lecturers.

Hi Everyone!

I just wanted to say Thank You once again for your generous amount of time and thoughfulness in answering

all of my questions!

I've printed out this thread and put it with our Australia/NZ travel folder

If you find yourself traveling to the SFO Bay Area and need some advice, please send me an email through our website!

Bazzaw..work has been just crazy and I havent had time to decode your post....but I will and then post a response attention to you specifically!!!

Bon Voyage!

Karen

In Fjordland do they have NZ's version of park rangers come onboard like they do in Alaska for Glacier Bay

Yes , they sure do.. Its a National Park. You usually visit 3, Milford Sound which you enter, turn around and exit the same way, Doubtful Sound and Dusky Sound which are sail throughs. Inbetween you are at sea and the conditions on the day will determine if you enter or not.

When are we going to the UK ?? _ well that is a good question. It seems like some Icelandic volcano (with a completely unpronounceable name) has decided to interfere in our travel plans. Hopefully somebody will be able to find the ON/OFF switch for it soon!! :(

Barry

When are we going to the UK ?? _ well that is a good question. It seems like some Icelandic volcano (with a completely unpronounceable name) has decided to interfere in our travel plans. Hopefully somebody will be able to find the ON/OFF switch for it soon!! :(Barry

Trust you have good travel insurance Barry...

We had a similar situation when due to fly out

and 9/11 happened,

the skies were closed.....

and we went nowhere.

Hehehe i agree Sandy. They had them on the Sun Princess, and they looked horrid. I think you will find Shiona (badgerbill) loves them if my memory serves me correctly.:)

You should try "Chittlings" (SP) We were looking forward to having them with Grits when we were in Alabama:eek:

Some sort of boiled pork bits:eek:

They can keep both Grits and Chittlings in the states as far as i am concerned!

You should try "Chittlings" (SP) We were looking forward to having them with Grits when we were in Alabama:eek:

Some sort of boiled pork bits:eek: They can keep both Grits and Chittlings in the states as far as i am concerned!

No thank you. Chittlings are pigs intestines.

I have travel insurance - but how "good" it is, we wouldn't know until we make a claim!! :)

Barry

The word is this is likely to be fall under an "Act of God" and hence unlikely to be covered. However, I expect the airlines will accommodate amended bookings and many other travel providers.

Some sort of boiled pork bits:eek:

They can keep both Grits and Chittlings in the states as far as i am concerned!

Den, they sound revolting...yes they are best kept in the state they came from and right away from me :p

Archived