Stocking suites

lndamitch

I entered every search term I could think of and couldn't find the answer to this on the board: In previous SS cruises, our "guest information form" included questions about stocking the suite, i.e. juice, water, liquour, etc. It wasn't on the form this time. What's the drill?

Also, (this probably should be a separate thread but . . .): I am running into a brick wall with my husband who refuses to take his tux on an AK cruise. In fact, he wants to do the whole thing with his blazer and a couple of ties. I don't blame him actually as I like to pack light myself. I was thinking that on the formal nights I could just book an alternative dining venue. Opinions?

We have always posted our bar set-up in the 'other comments' or 'what have we missed' section of the form - never had a problem. If they miss it, just inform your butler/attendant and it will be dealt with.

If he doesn't want to dress-up, then do dinner in the suite or La Terrazza on formal nights - not a problem, just a choice. Or pack a gown, do dinner, and then meet him in the bar after for drinks. Whatever works.:D

Michele

Can you actually request certain types of liquor, i.e. a certain type of Vodka or do they just have a house brand for alcohol?

Yes, you can request whatever you like (Johhny Waker Blue may not work, but Dimple (aka Pinch) scotch works, as does other spirits in the $40 - 75 range (my wife requests and gets Belvedere vodka.)

Also, based on my observation, no one is going to look twice at a man in a dark blazer, dark twoers, and tie, on formal nights. If someone does, just smile.

What about wine? I wish there was a list that we could choose from? Would the pricing rule be the same?

Hi, tbgc. Welcome to these Cruise Critic boards. Assume you've got an upcoming Silversea cruise.

YES, I would also like to know the options and potentials on the wines that might be good to request or seek. Clearly there are thousands of different brands, sources and types of wines. I assume that Silversea has some that are their regular types that are mostly commonly available and stocked. From what nations on wine do they most focus or specialize? Italian? South Africa, Chile, French or California???? THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

What about wine? I wish there was a list that we could choose from? Would the pricing rule be the same?

On the Shadow I was told that they go through something like 3000 bottles of wine a week so the wine list is always changing. Would suggest that you try a couple of wines in the bars or at dinner, to work out your favourite and simply let your Butler know which of them you would like stocked in your suite.

A phone call to room service will normally produce your choice of wine or champagne, in about 10 minutes !

Hi, tbgc. Welcome to these Cruise Critic boards. Assume you've got an upcoming Silversea cruise.

YES, I would also like to know the options and potentials on the wines that might be good to request or seek. Clearly there are thousands of different brands, sources and types of wines. I assume that Silversea has some that are their regular types that are mostly commonly available and stocked. From what nations on wine do they most focus or specialize? Italian? South Africa, Chile, French or California???? THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Thanks for the replies! We are very excited about our cruise. We are going on the Rome to Barcelona July 10th.

Many have tried to get hold of the SS complimentary wine list and if you succeed, please let us know! The stock is ever-changing. (There is a "connoisseur" = pay-extra list with prices from $30 to the stratosphere.) But you can expect there to be a default white and red being poured at lunch and dinner. They may or may not be to your taste. If not, ask for something different. You can expect a choice of around 20+ wines, including (whites) several different Californian chardonnays; at least one pinot grigio; probably a choice of sauvignon blancs; several French and Italian dry whites; at least one champagne; a French rose; a Californian (pink, sweet) "white" zinfandel; and (reds) cabernet sauvignon, merlot, syrah and blends from North America, South America, France and Australia; a couple of pinot noirs, probably including one from New Zealand; at least one dessert wine; and often two or three wines from where the ship happens to be or has been recently. In La Terrazza in the evenings, Italian wines are the default. Quality varies from very ordinary (Italian Soave springs to mind) to really good, with the emphasis on young, easy-drinking bottles. Very rarely have we experienced anything undrinkable, though we often prefer something different from the "default": primarily a matter or taste, not quality.

Many have tried to get hold of the SS complimentary wine list and if you succeed, please let us know! The stock is ever-changing. (There is a "connoisseur" = pay-extra list with prices from $30 to the stratosphere.) But you can expect there to be a default white and red being poured at lunch and dinner. They may or may not be to your taste. If not, ask for something different. You can expect a choice of around 20+ wines, including (whites) several different Californian chardonnays; at least one pinot grigio; probably a choice of sauvignon blancs; several French and Italian dry whites; at least one champagne; a French rose; a Californian (pink, sweet) "white" zinfandel; and (reds) cabernet sauvignon, merlot, syrah and blends from North America, South America, France and Australia; a couple of pinot noirs, probably including one from New Zealand; at least one dessert wine; and often two or three wines from where the ship happens to be or has been recently. In La Terrazza in the evenings, Italian wines are the default. Quality varies from very ordinary (Italian Soave springs to mind) to really good, with the emphasis on young, easy-drinking bottles. Very rarely have we experienced anything undrinkable, though we often prefer something different from the "default": primarily a matter or taste, not quality.

THANKS, jgibbs, for the excellent summary and details on the many on-ship wine options, etc! Great info!

I have this added follow-up question. Several years back, there was an indication that Perrier-Jouet champagne was the "house brand" on Silversea. At another time, I think I read that Pommery was that main choice served on their ships. What's the current champagne choice with Silversea? We have visited the Pommery House in Reims and gone down in their chalk caves, etc. Very enjoyable visit and champagne. Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

THANKS, jgibbs, for the excellent summary and details on the many on-ship wine options, etc! Great info!

I have this added follow-up question. Several years back, there was an indication that Perrier-Jouet champagne was the "house brand" on Silversea. At another time, I think I read that Pommery was that main choice served on their ships. What's the current champagne choice with Silversea? We have visited the Pommery House in Reims and gone down in their chalk caves, etc. Very enjoyable visit and champagne. Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

In February on Shadow it was Drappier.

In February on Shadow it was Drappier.

THANKS, Rally! I had not heard of that brand, but in checking I see that they are fairly-small, family-own place that has a location in Reims right near the Pommery Champagne House.

In searching more, I pulled those notes together: Drappier was a supplier to Louis XIV and they have a heritage linked with the Cistercian monks. Their history begins in the 12th century AD, when Saint Bernard had an annex to the Abbey at D’Urville built. That building and the vineyard that surrounds these Cistercian cellars, is now the centerpiece of the Drappier property. They cultivate in a natural way and are known for grapes rich in complex aromas. It is done in a slow and natural with the wine aged in large oak casks. Since 1979, Michel Drappier has been controlling the winemaking process at La Maison Drappier. It is called by some as a “greatly underrated historic Champagne house”. From Wine Spectator on one of their champagnes: Elegant style, displaying floral, mineral and citrus aromas and flavors matched to a creamy texture. Well-balanced, classy, firm and long. Ideal as an aperitif, but could match light dishes as well. Drink now through 2012. 90 pts.

Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Yes, it looks like Drappier is the default, as of the last few months. (Maybe other brands are also available. Does anybody know?) A while ago, somebody suggested that this was a downgrade. I don't know whether that is right: Pommery is more expensive than Perrier-Jouet and I prefer Perrier-Jouet. I don't know Drappier -- yet! Chacun a son gout.

Yes, it looks like Drappier is the default, as of the last few months. (Maybe other brands are also available. Does anybody know?) A while ago, somebody suggested that this was a downgrade. I don't know whether that is right: Pommery is more expensive than Perrier-Jouet and I prefer Perrier-Jouet. I don't know Drappier -- yet! Chacun a son gout.

Drappier is now the default across the line. Others are available but it depends on what is on any particular vessel. Best option is to ask. Try the head sommelier or failing that, the F&B Manager will know.

Complimentary wine lists dissapeared about 3-4 years ago. Your best bet is to find the Head Sommelier and ask. Tell him/her what sort of wines you like and he/she will find something (or maybe lots of somethings) that you can try.

Drappier is now the default across the line. Others are available but it depends on what is on any particular vessel. Best option is to ask. Try the head sommelier or failing that, the F&B Manager will know.

The (complementary) champagne served at Mrs. Rally's birthday dinner was Veuve Clicquot

Drappier was indeed the default on our last trip but we had no problem getting Pommery (in quantity !)

On our last TA on the Spirit it was no problem to get Pommery for the suite. It was also served in the bars and restaurants. We did not care for the Drapier.

Regards,

Maria

Just another case of "if you don't like what you are first offered, ask nicely if there is an alternative" =) Good news!

Thanks DaveA. This is very informative. Just a follow-up. Did the Butler provide you this menu, bartendar, from restaurant? My wife and I would very much enjoy being able to read this type of wine list and be able to try the different wines and determine our own pairings :) I will defenitely ask for this when we board the ship.

thanks

neilio

As I recall, we obtained a list from a waiter after several failed attempts. We kept asking questions like 'Do you have a New World Pinot Noir?' or "Do you have a red from the Loire valley?" and they had difficulty answering and gave in and provided the list. From what I have read here recently, they either no longer keep a list (hard to imagine how they could manage like that) or have become more firm about not providing it. I think that's a great shame. I would enjoy my next Silversea cruise more if I knew what was available.

Dave

Thanks DaveA. This is very informative. Just a follow-up. Did the Butler provide you this menu, bartendar, from restaurant? My wife and I would very much enjoy being able to read this type of wine list and be able to try the different wines and determine our own pairings :) I will defenitely ask for this when we board the ship.

• 1 month later...

We dont drink spirits and I am not that fond of champagne !!

My husband is partial to a glass of port after dinner, and I love New Zealand sauvignon blanc, so can anyone tell me if they have seen NZ wines on board ? The wine list from 2003 had an awful lot of chardonnay on it. :p

Archived